11-17-2016, 04:48 AM
User Info
Question for those using Kanayama strops, the 70000 and above come with 3 pieces ( Leather, Suede, Cotton) I have had mine for many months and have used the cotton a few times but primarily use the suede and leather so with that said why 3 pieces ? i honestly cannot see using all three during a strop session.

6 1,403
 11-17-2016, 06:31 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Good question. I haven't taken the wrapper off the cotton.

9 462
 11-17-2016, 06:48 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I only use leather and suede, but I'll occasionally read where someone softens up the cotton strop and uses it.

38 5,199
 11-17-2016, 08:32 AM
User Info
Following Takeshi's advice, I washed my canvas a few times and even hit it with a mallet a bunch. Its a joy to use now and provides good maintenance. I use the suede to dry my razors after use

41 395
 11-17-2016, 11:24 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
From conversations with Alfredo, he said the canvas was a bit too harsh but found it be only effective when coming off a coticule. I'm by far the furthest from expert but that's a pretty high trusted source for me Smile  I use the suede and leather combo and enjoy the results. The canvas I've tried on my 'cheapo' razors and the feel (as I haven't softened it yet) is quite rough, you can feel the weave of the material when your running the blade over it, I get the image that it isn't soften so its not a cohesive single piece your stropping on. But on the other forums I've read that once broken in its a very effective material, Naomi-san does have many decades of experience making this, but maybe a theory is that its considered full kit to include both since there's so many schools of thought behind how we strop and hone and including the suede and canvas answers it all if you go to the top of the line Kanayama's. 

The canvas I've read is the highest quality Naomi-san could source within Japan at the time.
The suede is also available as the 2nd component on the #3 strop he produces on rare occasions and comes without the canvas

36 1,336
 11-17-2016, 02:22 PM
User Info
Hi William,

Think of the K-linen as another tool in your arsenal. I once read to use the linen after ever shave or before, whatever. I found that it would degrade my perfectly honed Alfredo edges pretty quick. I put that frivolous forum information to rest and I only use it when well honed razors start to tug. I use just a few light controlled laps, 10 maybe 12. If you have a crappy honed edge (trust me on this, I can hone a crappy edge with the best of them) the canvas is not going to magically fix it.

I also use the K-linen in my honing routine. 25 light laps after setting the bevel and a dozen or so light laps after my finishing stone, then leather, sometimes suede, leather.

The take away for K-linen stropping is "light laps." The number of laps I stated is totally subjective of course.

By the way, I broke the canvas in by continual use. It takes a long time though it works fine along the way. Rolling a bottle, hair brush, washing, fabric softener, etc, was more work than I was willing to put into it. I like to abide by the philosophy of K.I.S.S. Was that Aristotle I'm not sure.

When you find the right place for the K-linen in your routine you'll always use it. It's not a must have though it is a real nice tool.

~Royce

4 384
 11-17-2016, 03:49 PM
User Info
Well I found a vid on breaking in the linen and the guy basically laid it flat on a wood bench and clamped it tight down at one end and then folded it backhand rolled it back and fourth and then flipped it over and did the same and it really seemed to help so after then i took one of my shavers and did 25 light laps then 25 on suede and 50 on leather and the edge seemed very keen but not sure how quickly it would degrade the edge, i may try using all three coming off the stones and then just use two for daily use, i have four hanging strops and a couple new ones in the closet so I need to figure out what works and what does not and pair down but it's nice to have choices.

6 1,403
 01-21-2017, 12:24 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
I have the 8000 and don't use the canvas as I have a TomoNagura - Cotton & Linen razor strop that I use in addition to the 8000's leather side. I have yet to have a razor re-honed; good stropping should keep a razor sharp for a very long time at least that has been my experience. I use the following routine that works well for my Swedish blades:

Pre-Shave: 100 on Tony Miller Heirloom #2

Post-Shave: Strop 30/30 on TomoNagura and 60 on the 8000. Lightly oil and put up.

11 659