11-18-2016, 12:58 PM
User Info
What do you guys think? I know there's a crowd that would never use "canned goo" as they refer to it and neither would I use shave gel. I am talking shaving foam like barbasol. 

What do you guys think of shaving foams?

Are they really that bad for you?

0 89
 11-18-2016, 01:07 PM
User Info
If it works for you, by all means keep using it. I briefly used it in my first few months of shaving, but I got exposed to brush and cream in a tub early on and turned my back to aerosol cans.

If memory serves me my skin got really dry when I used canned cream - on the other hand that was 24-25 years ago, so take it with pinch of salt.

3 4,373
 11-18-2016, 01:15 PM
User Info
I'm not saying I use it all the time. Just once in a while if I am travelling. I want to hear peoples take.

0 89
 11-18-2016, 01:34 PM
User Info
I still use Barbasol from time to time if I do my head shave in the shower.  That would also include my Schick Quattro cartridge.  It does the job pretty well but leaves my skin pretty dry, which I remedy with lots of lotion after the fact.  If the foam works for you definitely continue using it.

1 197
 11-18-2016, 02:03 PM
User Info
Proraso makes this type of products along with a few others, if I had to use this type of product again I would use proraso most likely. The ones typically found at my local markets are not to my liking but serve the purpose.

59 1,406
 11-18-2016, 03:24 PM
User Info
I use canned goo to shave my head with, when in a hurry.

Somehow my head is less sensitive, than my face, so I get great shaves using canned goo.
I do use some of the best canned goo on the market though: Santa Marian Novella canned goo, Alvarez Gomez canned goo and the cheaper alternative Proraso Blue canned goo and La Toja Sensitive canned good. All these canned goos' are quuite good.

For my face I no longer use canned goo, because I get irritation from it.

24 5,840
 11-18-2016, 06:51 PM
User Info
I use Cade for the back of my neck every other week. That's what I used for the ocassional shave a few years ago, as I used a trimmer most of the time. I Am not getting more when its gone. For traveling, even a little cream spread with the tips of my fingers is prefered over the can.

8 1,058
 11-18-2016, 07:42 PM
User Info
I have Barbasol on hand all the time.

It's been a while since I've used it but I don't have any aversion to it or feel strongly either way about canned shaving cream.

I used a boar brush and mug soap long before I picked up a safety razor though. I can't really think of a time when I didn't have a can of Barbasol for when I was in a hurry. I just prefer soap and brush. 

Discovering the world of safety razors online brought with it the fact that there were options besides drug store glycerine soap to go with my brush. Once I realised that there was a whole nother world of options out there it was hard to put the genie back in the bottle.

7 1,313
 11-18-2016, 10:35 PM
User Info
I travel with a shave stick, so no.

26 984
 11-19-2016, 06:32 AM
User Info
I converted to shave soap a little over one year ago and have never looked back. But if I had to use can foam, I would go with the Nivea sensitive skin foam (not gel). Check out the ingredient list. It reads almost like a shave soap.

I pulled out the can the other day, gave it a good shake and squeezed some on my hand. I had forgotten how thick, slick and cushiony this foam is. It has a nice pleasant smell, almost the same as the Nivea sensitive skin aftershave balm. It's a top quality German product. But I'm sticking with soap for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 44
 11-19-2016, 07:49 AM
User Info
My father in law shaved with goo and I got him SMN in the can - he loves it and puts it into a heating device too.

36 886
 11-19-2016, 09:35 AM
User Info
If you can get it, the Clubman shaving cream in a can is the real deal.

I actually paid for a can through the nose to get the last one I had a few years ago. I tried it when I was staying in Chicago for business. One of the old school kind of places with a gym that stocks aftershaves and colognes and combs in blue juice in jars in the locker room.

Anyway I found the distributor who stocked them and they let me set up an account even though I wasn't a commercial account as long as I made a certain minimum order. 

I haven't had any in a few years, but it was legit and they had a private line of men's toiletries like talc and deodorant with a house fragrance that I really like. I still have some of the talc and spray deodorant. Non-aerosol stuff that's alcohol based. Kind of burns.

Anyway. If it's still being made I think the Clubman shaving cream in the can is fantastic. Aside from the legendary scent, it was a very nice foamy cream. Not a gel.

7 1,313
 11-19-2016, 11:45 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(11-19-2016, 07:49 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: My father in law shaved with goo and I got him SMN in the can - he loves it and puts it into a heating device too.

SMN (Santa Maria Novella) canned shaving foam performs and smells better than 90% of the shave soaps and creams I've used.  Don't knock it just because it's a foam.

159 1,315
 11-19-2016, 01:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've been shaving for a tad over 55 years and I have never used anything in a can, so I am not qualified to answer your questions.  I guess the only input I have would be to say, if it works for you, use it.

175 23,752
 11-19-2016, 03:27 PM
User Info
I'd been using various foams and gels for my whole adult life until I tried Cremo. Was still using Gillette cartridges though. Then I just got fed up with the cost of them. Switched to Dorco cartridges for 30% of the cost of Gillette. Same quality. Can't really say my shaves have gotten substantially closer since switching to DE razors, badger brushes and shave soaps and creams. And I'm certainly spending more than ever in spite of "cost-saving" blades! But shaving is no longer a chore. I look forward to it every day. It's fun learning how to make a good lather and I enjoy a different scent every day. Interestingly, I haven't found a preshave that works any better than Cremo, though. But I'm open to suggestions.

12 140
 11-19-2016, 04:53 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(11-19-2016, 03:27 PM)Joucas Wrote: I haven't found a preshave that works any better than Cremo, though.  But I'm open to suggestions.

This has an ingredient list with everything one could want in a preshave:  shea butter, olive oil, argan oil, aloe vera, etc.  I use it myself (in the shower) for that purpose, rinsing it off before shaving; it leaves a film on the skin, as any preshave ought, but rinses completely clean after lathering and shaving.  And it is inexpensive:  costs next to nothing to try it, and if you don't like it, you suffer minimal loss.

0 1,049
 11-19-2016, 05:22 PM
User Info
(11-19-2016, 04:53 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(11-19-2016, 03:27 PM)Joucas Wrote: I haven't found a preshave that works any better than Cremo, though.  But I'm open to suggestions.

This has an ingredient list with everything one could want in a preshave:  shea butter, olive oil, argan oil, aloe vera, etc.  I use it myself (in the shower) for that purpose, rinsing it off before shaving; it leaves a film on the skin, as any preshave ought, but rinses completely clean after lathering and shaving.  And it is inexpensive:  costs next to nothing to try it, and if you don't like it, you suffer minimal loss.

Cool. I'll put it on the shopping list. Thx.

12 140
 11-19-2016, 05:32 PM
User Info
If it works for you mate, no problems at all. When I used to shave with carts and had only canned stuff, I stayed away from canned foam but went for canned shaving gels. I found them to be more economical and better in performance.

10 1,128
 11-19-2016, 05:58 PM
User Info
I just believe shaving gel has more chemicals in it than shave foam. Probably not true but in my mind foam is less harmful to the skin than gel. Not sure if any of this is proven. Just a theory of mine.

0 89
 11-19-2016, 06:01 PM
User Info
(11-19-2016, 05:58 PM)Stainless Wrote: I just believe shaving gel has more chemicals in it than shave foam. Probably not true but in my mind foam is less harmful to the skin than gel. Not sure if any of this is proven. Just a theory of mine.

No, you're probably right. Thing is at the time I really didn't read much into the ingredients. The reason why I prefer artisans now is there are fewer unrecognizable stuff on the ingredients list.. lol.

I hope you find a good brand.

10 1,128