11-20-2016, 04:42 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Have any of you found any differences, other than price, between Valobra's hard soaps versus the similar Czech & Speake offerings?

1 795
 11-20-2016, 05:18 AM
User Info
It's the same except for the scent, C&S having much better scents. Valobra includes a container with each refill but C&S comes only with the soap.

1 11
 11-20-2016, 05:32 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I have found that the C&S soaps slightly edge out the regular Valobra soaps in performance as well as scent.  I think Valobra puts a little extra "something" in the C&S soaps that just makes them superb.

159 1,315
 11-20-2016, 05:32 AM
User Info
No discernible difference in performance, but like the gentleman above has mentioned there is no comparison in terms of scent. C&S scents are far superior in my opinion, I've tried Valobra stick and it is fine if you like that 'soapy' clean smell, i've also tried the patchouli in the container and the scent was... lets say 'interesting' not the best if i were to be honest.

7 783
 11-20-2016, 05:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(11-20-2016, 05:32 AM)Steelman Wrote: I have found that the C&S soaps slightly edge out the regular Valobra soaps in performance as well as scent.  I think Valobra puts a little extra "something" in the C&S soaps that just makes them superb.

I could not have said it better than this.

175 23,752
 11-20-2016, 06:27 AM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
(11-20-2016, 05:34 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(11-20-2016, 05:32 AM)Steelman Wrote: I have found that the C&S soaps slightly edge out the regular Valobra soaps in performance as well as scent.  I think Valobra puts a little extra "something" in the C&S soaps that just makes them superb.

I could not have said it better than this.

x3

The regular Valobra still beats everything else out there though, IMO, so still I suggest buying by scent.
But the explicable difference is that the C&S and AoS tallow create a slightly more viscous lather than the regular Valobra. What am I taking about? -- if you rub the lather between your fingers there will more cushion with the C&S and AoS tallow than the regular Valobra.
I've tried and tested this a hundred times. Same result every time.
That all said, however, the end result of the shave is basically the same across the board. Hence, buy by scent.

56 2,538
 11-20-2016, 06:39 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(11-20-2016, 06:27 AM)Nero Wrote: x3

The regular Valobra still beats everything else out there though, IMO, so still I suggest buying by scent.
But the explicable difference is that the C&S and AoS tallow create a slightly more viscous lather than the regular Valobra. What am I taking about? -- if you rub the lather between your fingers there will more cushion with the C&S and AoS tallow than the regular Valobra.
I've tried and tested this a hundred times. Same result every time.
That all said, however, the end result of the shave is basically the same across the board. Hence, buy by scent.

I agree with this.  I expected them all to be the same, but I found C&S and old AoS to indeed be a tad superior.

34 1,628
 11-20-2016, 09:03 AM
User Info

Signs011

82 21,056
 11-20-2016, 11:38 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
Well, it's basically unanimous.  Thanks for all the responses.

1 795
 11-20-2016, 11:51 AM
User Info
Same soaps , Valobra disgusting scents  Except stick Confused

8 1,676
 11-20-2016, 12:39 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Luis, I agree with you, Valobra scents are a bit strange. I had a couple of them and sold them, but I've smelled all of them. Valobra stick has a light fougere scent I'd say.

49 1,938
 11-20-2016, 03:41 PM
User Info
I own them all, thouh sold the unscented Valobra hard puck.

Own all 3 scented Valobra pucks
Own both C&S Valobra
Own 3 AOS Tallow Valobra

I my view the Valobra hard pucks on good shaving days equals my 2 Czech & Speak Valobra soaps and my 3 AOS Tallow Valobra pucks, on bad days the original Valobras just slightly performs a tad bit less protective.

But in my view, all 3 Valobra made hard soaps are ona given average to good shave day almost equally GREAT !

Minor small differences between them, it's like Cella in red pot versus the Cella 1 kg brick. I find the 1 kg bick better, but the cella in red pot is great too.

Czech & Speak might have that little extra ½% advantage over the Valobra hard pucks.

But on a rushed bad shave day with the Czech & Speak (though rarely will happen, but if you rush your shave for instance) versus a good shave day with the Valobra hard pucks and the Valobra hard pucks are better that given day.

BTW I love the Valobra Patchouli scent.

24 5,839
 11-20-2016, 08:06 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
Claus, thanks for the detailed analysis.  I definitely see a pattern emerging.

1 795
 12-22-2016, 06:41 AM
User Info
Used my new fougere puck and absolutely loved it! Just like tallow AOS, the lather was wonderful with a tiny load and the shave itself was just awesome!

0 80
 12-22-2016, 07:06 AM
User Info
Valobra soaps, in any guise, are all excellent, but I agree with others in that both the non Valobra branded soaps (AoS tallow and C&S) have that little bit of "something extra".

31 5,277
 12-22-2016, 08:19 AM
User Info
I haven't tried the C&S or AoS versions, but if they're noticeably better than the Valobra Patchouly then I will get them someday.  It's an awesome soap, one I would use every day if I had to.

FWIW I don't find the scent unpleasant at all.

11 966
 12-22-2016, 09:54 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-22-2016, 08:19 AM)surfshaver Wrote: I haven't tried the C&S or AoS versions

You really need to!

56 2,538
 01-12-2017, 09:52 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Valobra stick is going to be discontinued soon. I read that on another forum. A distributor told that to a member and after exchanging emails with the company, they recommended him buying the pucks in the future as they are the same product.

I have an unused stick that I'm not going to use anytime soon, so one is enough for me.

49 1,938
 01-12-2017, 05:51 PM
User Info
(01-12-2017, 09:52 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Valobra stick is going to be discontinued soon. I read that on another forum. A distributor told that to a member and after exchanging emails with the company, they recommended him buying the pucks in the future as they are the same product.

I have an unused stick that I'm not going to use anytime soon, so one is enough for me.

I own all 4 hard tallow pucks from Valobra and the Valobra talloe shaving stick, (Sold the unscented puck though) and neither of the 4 pucks smells like the Valobra shaving stick, am I missing something here ?

24 5,839
 01-12-2017, 06:48 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-12-2017, 05:51 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 09:52 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Valobra stick is going to be discontinued soon. I read that on another forum. A distributor told that to a member and after exchanging emails with the company, they recommended him buying the pucks in the future as they are the same product.

I own all 4 hard tallow pucks from Valobra and the Valobra talloe shaving stick, (Sold the unscented puck though) and neither of the 4 pucks smells like the Valobra shaving stick, am I missing something here ?

Haha, I do agree. I have read that the fragrance in the stick is the same as the Fougere, and it is just stronger in the Fougere. I'm not sure. I suppose there is a good amount of overlap, but not identical (or, not only fragrance strength... Or maybe I need to check again, but as I am going from memory.)

56 2,538