11-20-2016, 08:17 AM
User Info
The other day I was loading from an almost entirely used tub of CRSW jardine d'orange. You know the type... huge doughnut hole in the center. Stopping halfway through the load, I work on breaking up the soap and creating a more uniform loading surface. During this process my fingers become coated in many small bits of soap, which are then rubbed into my beard. Then I finish loading, and because the puck is nearly exhausted - I load even longer than usual. Basically - think rubbing a shave stick through your beard, then doing a normal face-lather with a brush loaded 2-3x more than normal. Keeping the water ratio in check so I don't have lather explode everywhere, I end up with some extremely dense protection for all 4 passes.

I've never used that much soap before - but it worked brilliantly. What's the furthest you've pushed a soap? Can you ever load too much?

26 984
 11-20-2016, 08:27 AM
User Info
Can you load too much? Not in my experience - but I end up with enough lather for ten passes from time to time Tongue

3 4,373
 11-20-2016, 08:47 AM
User Info
I have felt like I have overloaded some croaps before, and end up with a very thick paste on my face when I went to face lather.  

I would say "yes", you can.

13 465
 11-20-2016, 09:06 AM
User Info
I, exclusively, use shave-sticks and I can apply more soap than what others would deem excessive, but I have never had much of an issue as I just add enough water to compensate. I usually get an extremely dense and creamy lather, which I prefer and it assists me in going through my soaps much more quickly.  Shy

82 21,056
 11-20-2016, 09:15 AM
User Info
I load soap until it's ready to shave with (puck lather).

59 1,406
 11-20-2016, 09:17 AM
User Info
My water has become quite hard in the last year for some reason. I now load muuuch more than I used to in order to squeeze out the appropriate lather for 3 passes

0 517
 11-20-2016, 03:33 PM
User Info
In reality, yes
In my experience, no  Biggrin

I have from time to time loaded my brush, so it was so thick and pasty to face lather, that it did take me 8-10 minutes to add enough water and avoid lather flying all over the place, so you definitely can overload, but always better to overload, than underload Wink

24 5,840
 11-20-2016, 03:39 PM
User Info
With my badger and boar hair brushes, overloading has never been a problem. With my synthetic brushes, I'm still amazed at how little I loading I can get away with.

2 144
 11-21-2016, 03:07 AM
User Info
I like a thick paste that envelopes my face. As such I'm an advocate for overloading for density of lather and then working with water to get the right consistency.
I always finish shaving with a brush that could probably handle a few more passes at the minimum.

0 130
 11-21-2016, 03:07 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I guess you can overload a brush if you worry about rinsing lather down the drain when you are finished shaving. Other than that I'd say, no, you can't overload a brush. All you have to do if the lather starts off pasty is slowly add water till it is right. I don't like to go back to the puck for more soap so I do load a lot of soap and rinse what's left down the drain after my 4 passes.

Bob

0 1,694
 11-21-2016, 07:17 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
For the most part, for experienced wetshavers, it's only too much soap if you've used too little water, since it's a desired ratio we are seeking.
Same as too much water would mean too little soap.

57 2,545
 11-21-2016, 08:09 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I think anything past 20 seconds on a soft soap and 45 seconds on a hard soap is a waste. My Yardley Black is very old and hard, but I get a fantastic 3-pas shave with just 20 seconds of load using a Shavemac 2-band silvertip fan and a moistened puck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

71 1,468
 11-21-2016, 08:26 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
This is funny because I was asking myself the same question this morning.

I have overloaded croaps and creams before...thought a trowel would have been a better application tool. It was pasty and thick. I think I could have just let the razor hang from my face.

With a hard soap, I just ended up with a super thick and slick later (provided you add a couple drops of water) and could definitely do a nice 10-pass shave. 

Shaving

0 356
 11-21-2016, 09:48 AM
User Info
(11-20-2016, 09:06 AM)celestino Wrote: I, exclusively, use shave-sticks and I can apply more soap than what others would deem excessive, but I have never had much of an issue as I just add enough water to compensate. I usually get an extremely dense and creamy lather, which I prefer and it assists me in going through my soaps much more quickly.  Shy
+1

39 3,869
 11-21-2016, 09:49 AM
User Info
(11-20-2016, 09:06 AM)celestino Wrote: I, exclusively, use shave-sticks and I can apply more soap than what others would deem excessive, but I have never had much of an issue as I just add enough water to compensate. I usually get an extremely dense and creamy lather, which I prefer and it assists me in going through my soaps much more quickly.  Shy
+1

39 3,869
 11-21-2016, 11:49 AM
User Info
(11-20-2016, 08:17 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: The other day I was loading from an almost entirely used tub of CRSW jardine d'orange. You know the type... huge doughnut hole in the center. Stopping halfway through the load, I work on breaking up the soap and creating a more uniform loading surface. During this process my fingers become coated in many small bits of soap, which are then rubbed into my beard. Then I finish loading, and because the puck is nearly exhausted - I load even longer than usual. Basically - think rubbing a shave stick through your beard, then doing a normal face-lather with a brush loaded 2-3x more than normal. Keeping the water ratio in check so I don't have lather explode everywhere, I end up with some extremely dense protection for all 4 passes.

I've never used that much soap before - but it worked brilliantly. What's the furthest you've pushed a soap? Can you ever load too much?
Impossible.  There is only not enough water or not enough soap when it comes to building lather.

73 2,196
 11-23-2016, 02:59 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Never too much soap!  What would be the downside of "overloading"?  Taking a few more seconds to wash out the brush?  Perhaps shaving stick users would realize how lazy they are, but they are probably used to hearing about it after awhile. Biggrin  Maybe some of that scritch will disappear after a few strokes of the brush.  Of course, the best part, aside from improving a shave, is that you use up the soap faster, and can then indulge yourself by trying the newest artisan.

1 795
 11-25-2016, 12:24 PM
User Info
As someone who always overloads my brush, Id say that theres no way to overload.  Id rather have too much lather than to have not enough.

0 28