11-20-2016, 02:49 PM
User Info
As the title suggests, I'm getting my first straight in hopefully this week. I don't know the brand, but getting it from Jonah Shaw whom I found on Facebook. He got it shave ready and is supplying what he says is a "decent" strop. All for $27 shipped. I'm excited and a little nervous. Been scouring YouTube for as much help as possible. I'll let you guys know how the first shave goes when it happens. But first, and general tips? Maybe something you wish you knew when you first started straight shaving. Thank you everyone

0 52
 11-20-2016, 03:10 PM
User Info
Trust your non dominant hand but train it, trust your experience with safeties, go progressively shaving more difficult areas on your face. More importantly, have fun.

8 1,103
 11-20-2016, 03:24 PM
User Info
Learn as much as you can and be prepared for a few slices until you've got it down pat. Then you will rarely ever have a nick.

Angle and pressure are important. Make sure it truly is shave ready or you will abandon straights. 

Practice stropping. Its the most important skill you can learn. A good stropping goes a long way. 

Don't buy into all the hype you don't need $1000 Nakayama makuranaktmaod whatever to keep your razor sharp. A barber hone or strop paste can keep an edge going forever. 

Make friends with those proficient at honing straights and you'll never have to pay for honing. 

Use a guillotine or scything motion. Not straight chopping like an axe. Think slice like a knife but not nearly as aggressive. 

Have fun its a great skill to have.

0 89
 11-20-2016, 03:31 PM
User Info
Thanks guys!

0 52
 11-20-2016, 05:53 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
I still consider myself relatively inexperienced when it comes to straights but Lynn Abrams makes an excellent video if you have seen that but watching others as well shows you the many variations of the same thing which will help you progress.
I started small, just the cheeks and then finish with DE and gradually expanding the area I would shave till I didn't need to finish with the DE, now I love the BBS quality feel I get when I go ATG on a straight.. so it comes with time and practice! As mentioned above, zero pressure is needed and all you need is a strop if it's shave ready.

As for the rest of the 'hardware' I only started playing with hones many many months later and I still suck at it as I haven't put in the necessary time, but I will still try when I have time... always ask questions as the members have a wealth of experience to share or you can keep reading the endless amount of info there is out there Smile , happy shaving!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

35 1,329
 11-20-2016, 05:55 PM
User Info
(11-20-2016, 05:53 PM)refles Wrote: I still consider myself relatively inexperienced when it comes to straights but Lynn Abrams makes an excellent video if you have seen that but watching others as well shows you the many variations of the same thing which will help you progress.
I started small, just the cheeks and then finish with DE and gradually expanding the area I would shave till I didn't need to finish with the DE, now I love the BBS quality feel I get when I go ATG on a straight.. so it comes with time and practice! As mentioned above, zero pressure is needed and all you need is a strop if it's shave ready.

As for the rest of the 'hardware' I only started playing with hones many many months later and I still suck at it as I haven't put in the necessary time, but I will still try when I have time... always ask questions as the members have a wealth of experience to share or you can keep reading the endless amount of info there is out there Smile , happy shaving!!

Been watching videos from razor emporium and art of manliness. Will have to look up Lynn Abrams though. Thank you.

0 52
 11-20-2016, 08:26 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(11-20-2016, 05:53 PM)refles Wrote: I started small, just the cheeks and then finish with DE...

This is great advice. Take it really slow--your cheeks are an easy area to shave. Practice there for a bit and, after a few shaves, expand the area you shave as you gain more confidence.

60 843
 11-21-2016, 01:32 AM
User Info
(11-20-2016, 05:55 PM)whiteboy_cannon Wrote:
(11-20-2016, 05:53 PM)refles Wrote: I still consider myself relatively inexperienced when it comes to straights but Lynn Abrams makes an excellent video if you have seen that but watching others as well shows you the many variations of the same thing which will help you progress.

Been watching videos from razor emporium and art of manliness. Will have to look up Lynn Abrams though. Thank you.

Do it Lynn is the man. I once phoned him up and talked to him for half hour. He is  humble man. Truly one of a kind.

0 89
 11-21-2016, 04:15 AM
User Info
You will enjoy straight razors.  Great advice here - and don't rush it it.  I took me about a month to get confident enough to go ATG but now I get a BBS shave equal to a DE.

4 465
 11-21-2016, 11:22 AM
User Info
[Image: 7a1651d33c10298c9710a2b9976a7e11.jpg]
The straight and strop are in!
Couple of more questions:
1) even though it came shave ready, is it recommended that I strop before I shave?
2) do I need to oil the blade? And if so what type of oil and how much etc?
I'm very excited for this. Will shave with it tomorrow

0 52
 11-21-2016, 12:06 PM
User Info
1. Shave first before you strop. I have been using straights for the last 6 months or so, stropping has been more difficult to learn for me than shaving. Shoot me PM to get a beginners perspective if you need one.

2. No oil needed if you use frequently and wipe the blade and inside scale after every shave. I use 100% petroleum jelly (no water) (Vaseline I think) to preserve the razors I am not using, so far it worked fine. Just a light coat is fine.

2 25
 11-21-2016, 02:15 PM
User Info
As stated shave before you strop, not familiar with who prepared the razor but if it's truly shave ready it should be good to go and gives you the idea of what a have ready edge is, if you strop the razor before hand there is a chance you can roll the edge and then it won't so pleasant. on the post shave carefully dry the razor and then do about 25 laps on the leather with edge trailing and ensure the razor is completely flat and just use light pressure.

6 1,298
 11-21-2016, 05:31 PM
User Info
[Image: c753339d7b7898b624aafa2551fe99bf.jpg]
Call me inpatient, but went ahead and had a second shave today, to try my first every straight shave. Kept the Mongoose close by for the neck, and didn't even touch it. 2 full passes, neck included. *Queue highway to the danger zone* not a very close shave, but only one small slice from a lack of technique by my jaw, and surprisingly very little irritation. A usual tough spot on my neck, that can still be rough after 2-3 passes with a safety razor, was smooth after 1 pass, I'm impressed for sure! Only real issue, other than a lack of technique, was the lather drying from me taking forever to figure out how to shave certain areas. Results: way better than my first DE shave, I'm a happy camper. Time to keep practicing.

0 52
 11-21-2016, 06:30 PM
User Info
 11-22-2016, 09:29 AM
User Info
Straight shave #2
[Image: 031e5e812bad390d7b2ca8cede2e498a.jpg]
I would call this a successful shave. Only one weeper by my upper lip. Even the alum was pretty quiet. Much better shave then yesterday in terms of closeness, I'll call it socially acceptable. I think I'm picking this up quick, may still be a while before it feels natural.

0 52
 11-23-2016, 05:39 AM
User Info
Good to hear and glad you are enjoying the razor.  It has been 6 months since I started straights and I find I am still learning things.  

If you has trouble with the soap drying out (I did initially because I was taking my time) try just lathering only the area you are working on shaving.

I usually do three passes with my DE but find I only need 2 passes to get the same level of shave.

Stick with it and it gets easier and faster.

4 465
 11-23-2016, 06:30 AM
User Info
(11-23-2016, 05:39 AM)Cincinnatus Wrote: Good to hear and glad you are enjoying the razor.  It has been 6 months since I started straights and I find I am still learning things.  

If you has trouble with the soap drying out (I did initially because I was taking my time) try just lathering only the area you are working on shaving.

I usually do three passes with my DE but find I only need 2 passes to get the same level of shave.

Stick with it and it gets easier and faster.
I will try that today. Thank you!

0 52
 11-23-2016, 12:19 PM
User Info
[Image: 58a9991d4d4e2049f93c283ad9cfc385.jpg]
My shaves with a straight get better each time. I'm really surprising myself. Some strokes, like on the cheeks and sides of the neck are effortless and satisfying, while others near the mid neck, and the chin area, take me a while to accomplish due to the lack of flatness in those areas. I only lathered areas as I shaved them, and had much better results, definitely going to continue that way until I'm able shave a bit faster

0 52
 11-26-2016, 06:13 AM
User Info
You are progressing very well for a new straight razor user.  The chin is always more of a challenge.

50 5,916
 11-26-2016, 06:52 AM
User Info
You received a dandy for a first straight! Covered tang is ultra cool. Don't ever sell it!

19 775