11-20-2016, 02:53 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I bought these two soaps, Blu and Rossa, on September 2015. So, a little more than a year.

In this thread, I won't repeat things that we all know. I thought it would be a nice idea to share a few thoughts about these good performing soaps.

The scents of these soaps are very nice and unique, but way too overpowering, especially the one of Rossa. For example, today I used the Blu and the previous time the Rossa with the same brush and noticed that when I rinsed it off, the brush had the scent of Rossa. I used a badger brush, by the way. The scents are very potent. If I had to choose between these two, I'd go for the Rossa anytime. Unfortunately, I don't have a matching lotion for it. I pair the Blu with the great Myrsol Agua Balsamica.

The lather of these soaps differs from the other artisan soaps. It's not the richest, it's more delicate. It's very easy to lather it anyway, 50 swirls on the surface of the soap is the magic number I'd say, even though most of the times I do more, about 80. I enjoy my shave more that way. We all have so many soaps, there is no reason to be afraid that we will finish them sooner. Personally, I want to finish a few soaps, at least that's what I'm trying. I don't even know if I will ever finish them with the large rotation of products I have.

I recall posts saying that 10 swirls is enough, some members of forums say that 4 is ok with these soaps... And I wonder. How is this even possible? Have they used the Nuavia soaps? Are they doing a half pass when they shave? I don't know.

Many of us have asked for refills, but we all know that we won't see them for very specific reasons that I'd prefer not to analyze in this post.

I like the ceramic bowls, but I have to be very careful when I use them not to hit them accidentally somewhere in my bathroom. They are heavy.

About the performance of the soaps, I can't say a negative thing. I am satisfied. Nowadays, it's not easy to find a bad performing soap, at least based on my experience. A year after the first try, they're still in my Top 5 with the best performing soaps I've tried. I enjoy them, but I won't buy them again if I ever finish them. I know how that sounds, but it's the truth. It's a very expensive product anymore. 37,5% increase is a thing. It's not 20, it's more than 35%. It's a soap and can be replaced with other equally performing products that cost a lot less. I could name a few. 

49 1,996
 11-20-2016, 03:33 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I agree with you Nick...I love these soaps, and I do think they are very unique and well-excuted, and I consider them among the best in my den.  Rossa is one of my absolute favorite scents, however I do find it a bit overwhelming and I can't bring myself to use it daily.  I also find I have to be in the mood to use it, I can't just pick it up an use it.  I purchased an extra one back before the price increase, so I think I'm good for a while, but I can't imagine buying another after it is finished.  

However, if/when they come out with a new scent, I have to admit I would likely pick it up contingent on positive reviews  Blush

34 1,628
 11-20-2016, 03:49 PM
User Info
I own all 3 Nuavia's, and they are definitely in my Top 5 of best shaving soaps in my collection.

The scents are quite protent and I also have to be in the mood to use them.

The Rossa is a very well done clone of Amouage Epic Man. I always wear Epic Man the day I use Nuavia Rossa.

24 5,965
 11-20-2016, 04:25 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Nice review, Nick. I loved their performance, and the attractive bowls, but just didn't care for the scents of Rossa and Blu and ended up selling them. What I didn't like is probably what Claus liked, their smelling like perfume. I am curious about Verde, though, and would be willing to try it if I thought I might like the scent.

38 5,108
 11-20-2016, 07:36 PM
User Info
I didn't like the lather. I prefer a nice thick rich lather and as Nick said, the Nuavia is a delicate lather. It's performance was good but for me not in my tops and certainly not worth the price (for me of course)

90 899
 11-20-2016, 08:18 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I love Nuavia and could use it daily.  Great stuff.  

Eric

48 976
 11-20-2016, 08:23 PM
User Info
Same here Nick. I like them, the scents are fantastic specially Blu and Rossa but I also think it would take quite an effort these days to look for really bad soaps, at least from the reliable ones we are inclined to buy. 

I certainly understand those who loves it, and would purchase more of it, in the end it's the pleasure that this hobby brings us that's important. 

I like them for what they are but I probably won't be purchasing anymore, the price is a bit much for me to justify.

11 1,169
 11-20-2016, 08:37 PM
User Info
I love the soaps, I've yet to try Verde though. I think the coffrets are gorgeous, I may be a little more cautious with them than I need to be with them lol 

I absolutely love the scents and strengths. I like that the scent is strong, especially Rossa. 

I do wish that refills were available, replacing them just seems excessive. Refills seem like they could be more reasonable, especially for those who have already purchased the current releases with the ceramic bowl.

7 325
 11-20-2016, 08:54 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Nuavia is still my favorite. I agree with your point of view, Nick, but there's something about the overall experience of Nuavia. From the beautiful crock pots, to the amazing scents (except for Verde, which doesn't do much for me and is too mild), to the amazing lather. Sure, there are other great lathering machines, but I've yet to find better packaging or scents than Rosso and Blu. Other lathers are equal, in my book, but none are better. I don't worry about buying replacement pucks, in part because they seem to last forever, but also because I'm of an age and have so many lathering options that I'm sure my adult boys will inherit my three Nuavia pots.

6 349
 11-20-2016, 09:22 PM
User Info
I don't get the delicate lather thing a couple people are mentioning. I'm just curious, but have any of y'all tried the soap maker's dry lathering technique with Nuavia? I'd imagine that you haven't if using the term delicate to describe the lather. Might I suggest looking up Marco's description of the technique and giving it a whirl.

I currently rate the scents as such...
Blu > Verde > Rossa
However, during the hotter weather I've really enjoyed Verde and I know that during the colder weather I will enjoy Rossa more. Claus is right on with the comparison of Rossa to Epic Man by Amouage. A great scent but when I use it several days in a row I notice a nuttiness about it that I don't quite like. I'm not sure why it isn't there when I haven't used it for a few days but it is enough that I want to use one of the others. If I could only have one, then it would be Blu.

For a more economical and more traditional lather feel at a cheaper price point then take a look at the Pure2O line. I really like it as well though Nuavia is definitely better. Once money is factored in though it's impossible to dismiss Pure2O from the discussion.

I personally still use Nuavia more than any other soap in my collection and will look to repurchase when the time comes. It's very nice that there is a vendor stateside now who sells it.

31 8,057
 11-20-2016, 09:54 PM
User Info
Despite many new soaps for me in recent months - the Nuavias are still in my favoured few. 

I haven't used the dry lather by following a defined process but have in my own time played with varying levels of water/number of swirls to get something very pasty. If you can point me in the right direction - where can i find this process by Marco?
I use a straight and it means there is quite a build up on the blade that needs a focused swipe, not just a rinse under the water but the thickness of this on my face is something i enjoy. 

I enjoy the scents - i have recently moved countries and chose the Blu to accompany me in my luggage so it has seen more recent use. The others should arrive with all other belongings in a couple of weeks. It is going to be fun using them again after a few months.

0 134
 11-21-2016, 04:23 AM
User Info
(11-20-2016, 03:49 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I own all 3 Nuavia's, and they are definitely in my Top 5 of best shaving soaps in my collection.

The Rossa is a very well done clone of Amouage Epic Man. I always wear Epic Man the day I use Nuavia Rossa.

I really like the scent of Blu.  I'm curious what edt/aftershave you think has a similar scent.  One person suggested Caron Third Man.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

14 142
 11-21-2016, 07:21 AM
User Info
I had the same experience with the scent being too strong for my taste. It's definitely a high quality product that I would recommend performance-wise, but it's just not for me. The delicate nature of the pottery was also a negative for me, even though they look great.

40 1,166
 11-21-2016, 03:15 PM
User Info
(11-21-2016, 04:23 AM)Joucas Wrote:
(11-20-2016, 03:49 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I own all 3 Nuavia's, and they are definitely in my Top 5 of best shaving soaps in my collection.

I really like the scent of Blu.  I'm curious what edt/aftershave you think has a similar scent.  One person suggested Caron Third Man.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Noses are all different and we perceive scents differently.

With that said, I own Caron Third Man 125 ml EDT, and I can't smell the resemblence so many find between Third Man and Nuavia Blue.
Might just be my nose. I will try to wear Caron Third Man tomorrow as my fragrance of the day and report if I find it reminds me of Nuavia Blue. Perhaps I need to test it further on my skin to see the similarity.

Unfortunately I have no precise scent, that matches the Nuavia Blue, nor the Nuavia Green.

24 5,965
 11-21-2016, 03:22 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Atkinsons English Lavender is pretty similar to the scent of Blu.

49 1,996
 11-21-2016, 03:41 PM
User Info
(11-20-2016, 03:33 PM)Giorgio Wrote: I agree with you Nick...I love these soaps, and I do think they are very unique and well-excuted, and I consider them among the best in my den.  Rossa is one of my absolute favorite scents, however I do find it a bit overwhelming and I can't bring myself to use it daily.  I also find I have to be in the mood to use it, I can't just pick it up an use it.  I purchased an extra one back before the price increase, so I think I'm good for a while, but I can't imagine buying another after it is finished.  

However, if/when they come out with a new scent, I have to admit I would likely pick it up contingent on positive reviews  Blush

Love these soaps and the rossa for one I can use daily and not get tired of it. It's a divine scent.
Like Brian, I don't have any problems with the lather. Very easy to load and build excellent slick lather. Always provides for amazing shaves. Best part is I always use the leftovers as balm and it leaves my fave VERY moist... more than balm I've used and smells great for hours.
I am half way though mine and would definitely buy again when I am done ONLY if refill is offered. I don't understand why a refill can't be offered and I hate to have my arm twisted to pay for the bowl again for no clear reason. Not trying to start this discussion again here and I hope I don't start another heated discussion about this topic....
The bowl is really fantastic and I really enjoy it. I so like the weight and looks of it but most importantly the diameter. I always struggle with XPEC, SMN and MDC containers once soap is half way consumed. This ceramic bowl fixes this problem, having a wide mouth I have no problem swirling the brush around and getting a good load without banging the brush all over the place.
Top 3 soaps for me! Scent, performance, lather quality are all A+

13 775
 11-25-2016, 06:34 PM
User Info
I finally broke down today with the 30% off sale and ordered Blu and Pure20 Damn Fine Shave.  It has been just too costly for soap and shipping for me to justify before now.  

I have tried the Rossa in a sample and love it.  I shaved with it 9 hours ago and can still slightly smell it on my face.

Looking forward to Blu for Christmas.

11 194
 11-26-2016, 10:42 AM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
If I like winter,dark,dirty,spicy scents what would be the nuavia to get?

5 527
 11-26-2016, 10:45 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(11-26-2016, 10:42 AM)Chaddy Wrote: If I like winter,dark,dirty,spicy scents what would be the nuavia to get?

Rossa has a winter woody scent.

[Image: ponr-EN-g.png]

49 1,996
 11-26-2016, 11:57 AM
User Info
(11-26-2016, 10:42 AM)Chaddy Wrote: If I like winter,dark,dirty,spicy scents what would be the nuavia to get?

I find the Blu to be the far darker, spicier scent of the three. Rosa to my nose is a sweeter take on Sandalwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 2,272