11-21-2016, 12:19 AM
User Info
Has anyone tried a B2/B3 mongoose with a feather super, that enjoys the way the cobra shaves?  I'm curious to how you might think it compares. I tried one of he first mongoose razors and found it to be too mild for my liking, I like my Cobras, but I'm tempted to try and find another mongoose head and give it a good with supers this time.  I've got a nice ikon handle that needs something sitting on the end of it.

12 848
 11-21-2016, 08:09 PM
User Info
No one has tried a mongoose with a feather super and can compare it to the Cobra/King cobra!?  You might just save me (or make me) open up my wallet... Blush

12 848
 11-21-2016, 09:24 PM
User Info
I have used both a B3 mongoose and a king cobra with the pro-supers. For my face, the mongoose was still a bit mild with the super.

26 235
 11-21-2016, 10:11 PM
User Info
I have a Cobra Classic and I had a B3 Mongoose. I found the Mongoose to be aggressive but somewhat harsh with a Pro Super. The Cobra with a Pro is just as aggressive, maybe more so, and yet at the same time smoother. I got rid of the 'Goose when I got an ATT SE1.

--Bob

0 185
 11-21-2016, 11:55 PM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I have a B2 Mongoose that I use with Super Pro blades as well as a Cobra Classic that I use with Feather Pro blades.  Just as referenced earlier, I find the Cobra Classic with Feather Pro blades to be as aggressive and bit more efficient that the B2 Mongoose with Super Pro blades.  At the same time the Cobra feels smoother.

7 1,224
 11-22-2016, 02:15 AM
User Info
Thanks for the replies, I have a feeling I'd have the same outcome.  The Cobra is all I use these days but I'd like some variety, although, I guess that says something about the Cobra.

I haven't been around for a while, is there any other new SE options out there?

12 848
 11-22-2016, 10:08 AM
User Info
(11-22-2016, 02:15 AM)ShaneN. Wrote: Thanks for the replies, I have a feeling I'd have the same outcome.  The Cobra is all I use these days but I'd like some variety, although, I guess that says something about the Cobra.

Where have you been? The SE/AC blade market has exploded. In addition to the Cobras and Mongooses (Mongeese?) you now have the Hawk from Razorock, the General from Colonial Shaving, El Jefe from Ikon, the SE1 and SE2 from Above The Tie, and at the top of the heap (both in terms of quality and price), the Asylum Rx from Bullgoose.

There are threads discussing all of these in detail, so I won't write a book about them. You have your choice of materials with prices from $20 - $230. There are waiting lists for many models but a few are available for purchase as of this writing.

I will make one observation: The Asylum Rx shaves more like my Cobra than anything else I have found, and the craftsmanship is incredible. It addresses all the quirks of the Cobra: It's made of stainless steel, has a blade locking mechanism like Fort Knox, and is threaded for standard handles.

--Bob

0 185
 11-22-2016, 12:26 PM
User Info
(11-21-2016, 10:11 PM)spidey9 Wrote: I have a Cobra Classic and I had a B3 Mongoose. I found the Mongoose to be aggressive but somewhat harsh with a Pro Super. The Cobra with a Pro is just as aggressive, maybe more so, and yet at the same time smoother. I got rid of the 'Goose when I got an ATT SE1.

--Bob

+1
I take the Cobra over the Mongoose B2/B3 any day.
It's lighter, more nimble, easier to load and clean up.
I found the mongoose too heavy and gave me too many cuts and irritation. I definitely find the Cobra Classic smoother.
I also found the blade loading a bit finicky on the mongoose where with the cobra it's very easy to load and also rinse while shaving.

13 775
 11-22-2016, 10:15 PM
User Info
(11-22-2016, 10:08 AM)spidey9 Wrote:
(11-22-2016, 02:15 AM)ShaneN. Wrote: Thanks for the replies, I have a feeling I'd have the same outcome.  The Cobra is all I use these days but I'd like some variety, although, I guess that says something about the Cobra.

Where have you been? The SE/AC blade market has exploded. In addition to the Cobras and Mongooses (Mongeese?) you now have the Hawk from Razorock, the General from Colonial Shaving, El Jefe from Ikon, the SE1 and SE2 from Above The Tie, and at the top of the heap (both in terms of quality and price), the Asylum Rx from Bullgoose.

There are threads discussing all of these in detail, so I won't write a book about them. You have your choice of materials with prices from $20 - $230. There are waiting lists for many models but a few are available for purchase as of this writing.

I will make one observation: The Asylum Rx shaves more like my Cobra than anything else I have found, and the craftsmanship is incredible. It addresses all the quirks of the Cobra: It's made of stainless steel, has a blade locking mechanism like Fort Knox, and is threaded for standard handles.

--Bob

Oh wow! I'm going to have to start researching, you just blew my mind. It sounds like if I like the cobra I should look in the way of the Asylum Rx then?  I just looked at bullgoose and it appearsr to be sold out.  Are they really hard to come by?

12 848
 11-23-2016, 09:34 PM
User Info
Look again. If you want one don't hesitate - they will quickly sell out again.

--Bob

Must . . . Have . . . More . . . Razors

0 185
 11-25-2016, 06:10 PM
User Info
As of 9pm Eastern time this evening, Bullgoose has the RX in stock. How long that may last is anyone's guess, as previous batches (50 razors at a time) sold out quickly. And if I remember correctly, this is the last batch before Phil's machine shop has other orders to fill before they can do more RXs for him. It's a little on the aggressive side for me, but the quality of the machining is superb.

8 103
 11-25-2016, 06:13 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(11-22-2016, 10:08 AM)spidey9 Wrote: I will make one observation: The Asylum Rx shaves more like my Cobra than anything else I have found, and the craftsmanship is incredible. It addresses all the quirks of the Cobra: It's made of stainless steel, has a blade locking mechanism like Fort Knox, and is threaded for standard handles.

--Bob

Signs011

38 5,108