11-23-2016, 12:56 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I recently managed, thanks to some gentlemen, to downsize my den. I offered a few razors, soaps and creams. Of course, I've done that a couple times more in the past. We all have shaving stuff that we don't use regularly or we just don't want to use them anymore because we dislike the scent or we found some better performers and collect dust.

Personally, I see it as an opportunity to try more shaving items and upgrade my den. I can't keep them all, so I have to give a few of those I have in order to try some others that I feel I will enjoy more.

What do you think? You see it as an opportunity to have less or to upgrade your den and try some more items?

48 1,876
 11-23-2016, 01:15 PM
User Info
I agree that it's an opportunity to upgrade the shave den by making room in it; that is trading or selling items that don't get the love anymore.

2 145
 11-23-2016, 01:34 PM
User Info
I really just do it because I see no point in keeping products that don't work for me for one reason or another. Clutter is the enemy, especially with limited space in a city apartment. But after I shed a few items, I suddenly feel justified in buying a few more products to try. My den has basically stayed at the same size for at least a year, but I've managed to try plenty of new products. Thank you, BST!

36 1,144
 11-23-2016, 01:39 PM
User Info
I agree down sizing is a good thing. There isn't enough time in the week to get through my rotation. Also then you can also rationalize when you start to upgrade cause you got rid of older stuff lol.

Cheers!

1 63
 11-23-2016, 02:16 PM
User Info
I like to reset things every once in a while. Also the less I have the more I have?

86 886
 11-23-2016, 02:51 PM
User Info
Nikos, I'm reaching a point where it's absurde.

It's not even fun to own the number of shaving soaps and creams I do.
I own the entire line of creams from TOBS, TF&H, GFT, Penhaligon and DR Harris.

Creams don't have a great shelf life, and I honestly have not used one of these creams in 6 months.
90% of them are still brand new and untouched. They are just resting there all pots of creams in their baskets, not being used a all.

I have so many products I prefer over the 3 T's and DR Harris, and I buy new soaps every month and am offered free soaps with the stuff I buy (not samples, but free brand new soaps), so I rarely ever even consider using a cream now.
Penhaligon are GREAT creams, so why the heck I don't use them more often........is a mystery to me. I think I haven't used one of my 4 Penhaligon creams since 2014 to be honest......Penhaligon creams are almost same level as Esbjerg creams IMHO, so why I don't use them  Huh

Only creams I want to use are THE VERY BEST CREAMS: Castle Forbes, Esbjerg, ST. James, Acqua di Parma, Xpec and ABC - yet, I have not used my Baume.Be and my 2 pots of Acqua di Parma creams in 8-10 months time  Facepalm

23 5,548
 11-23-2016, 03:22 PM
User Info
I'm also trying to use my limited space as a check on acquisition.  I just ordered my second full size soap purchase this year: I am trying to limit myself to only one more for Xmas.  Also, instead of buying a new high-end badger, I'm getting an existing brush re-knotted.  I have some soaps, samples, and aftershaves I will PIF to free up some space.

10 870
 11-23-2016, 03:27 PM
User Info
I refer to it as "turning" my den over.

Just sold most of my software, waiting on Black Friday to place an order.

13 380
 11-23-2016, 03:34 PM
User Info
I like the upgrade idea, but wish I could be more minimal.

I am honestly trying to only have soaps, razors or brushes where I can say: If this were the only ______ I use, I'd be happy.   

I have to admit I'm not there yet... Blush

Pretty close with razors.

Pretty close with soaps.

Should be there with brushes...but somehow they're the hardest for me to resist!

It's funny when I consider that I shaved with the same Gillette Cartridge and Edge Gel for almost 30 years without even thinking about it.

10 870
 11-24-2016, 03:21 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
For me, I just gotta get rid of some of this stuff.  A couple of days ago I opened my boxes of extra soaps that have not been used yet.  I actually felt like I have some kind of emotional imbalance to be hoarding all of this stuff - not to mention three pucks of AOS tallow on the way and a total of 11 tubs/pucks of other soaps I have recently purchased [two of which are definite rotation members].

When I downsize, the over-purchased victims will very likely be:
  • Tiki Bar
  • Stirling 
  • Catie's Bubbles
  • Some new generation Razorocks [not originals of which I have a few and shall not part with]
  • Synergy [ discontinued formulae of Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements; I still say they're melt and pour]
  • Mickey Lee's 
  • Wickhams Super Smooth

1 793
 11-24-2016, 05:15 AM
  • minimalist
  • Florida / North Carolina
User Info
Please oblige and excuse my musings on this subject.
I like the upgrade mode of den thrashing. I own 4 straight razors but typically only use one for massive binge usage. The straights are either very sentimental ones, family heirloom, or my favorite shaver. I own 3 brushes currently with one more special one to be delivered tomorrow, a Simpson Somerset era Persian Jar 2 in Super badger. The other 3 are a recently acquired Simpson Classic 1 (it is growing on me after a very MEH intro to my face), a pre-owned Omega #48 boar variant I bought off eBay years ago for $3 that has gotten a ton of use, and one of the first brushes I ever bought back in early 2007 from a former forums legend. Sentimental and upgrade apply in this category as well. Soaps and creams are mainly traditional with heavy emphasis on Martin de Candre, Santa Maria Novella, Antica Barbieria Colla, Geo. F. Trumper, and Penhaligons. Aftershaves and fragrances are heavy Floris & Penhaligons. So, after 10 years of experience I have a very focused, tight "collection" that doesn't venture out much.

19 763
 11-24-2016, 05:28 AM
User Info
Upon reading this squirrelly, slippery, unwieldy, imperfectly perfect thread topic I recall the Grateful Dead lyric, "One man gathers what another man spills."
How many other hobbies went in the same direction too? Records, CDs, guitars, watches, bicycles. I know knife, sword, motorcycle, wife and car collectors

33 764
 11-24-2016, 05:35 AM
User Info
I feel I have done a good bit of downsizing but, same as you, it's not the first time. I have reached that point where I want to try new things but have to let something go first. Problem with that is I truly enjoy what's in my den, have found what works best for me, and hate to part with any of it. I may not use it all weekly or often but when I do I know it's a keeper and would only seek to replace it should I let it go. 

I've gotten to where I'm good on hardware and the few I still want are not in the cards at this time so I don't worry with them. I have upcoming additions to my den with each of the new seasonal/holiday releases from B&M that I'm waiting to arrive. Not sure where I'm going to put it all and have contemplated what I'm willing to part with should I absolutely have to. My conclusion is I need a bigger den so I can stop fretting over whats worth parting with for space lol.

141 3,311
 11-24-2016, 06:32 AM
User Info
I often give away razors or brushes or soap to make room for new product. It helps other people try stuff and it makes room in my shave den.

5 1,449
 11-24-2016, 06:37 AM
User Info
I used to be a small scale collector , now I buy and sell to maintain a small size den. 1 razor 3 brush and working on getting the entire L&L grooming line.

52 1,258
 11-24-2016, 04:37 PM
User Info
Claus, if / when you rationalize ... it'll be a landmark event!

7 823
 11-24-2016, 06:28 PM
User Info
agree with rory1262  a catastrophic event.  i have used a penhaglion cream as an addition to all kinds of soaps to add that something different and special scent.

62 1,111
 11-24-2016, 08:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I downsize every six months or so by giving away razors, brushes and soaps to a handful of trad shaving buddies. These 3 guys RARELY buy anything on their own 'cause they know if they wait long enough good 'ol Chaz is bound to share some goodies. I feel like Pavlov! The upside as Nick pointed out, is that more shelf space opens up, and I can pickup some new must-haves.

1 1,604
 11-24-2016, 11:25 PM
User Info
(11-24-2016, 04:37 PM)Rory1262 Wrote: Claus, if / when you rationalize ... it'll be a landmark event!

Biggrin

23 5,548
 11-26-2016, 12:02 AM
User Info
(11-24-2016, 06:37 AM)ultra~nova Wrote: I used to be a small scale collector , now I buy and sell to maintain a small size den. 1 razor 3 brush and working on getting the entire L&L grooming line.

1 razor? That's impressive!

17 625