11-26-2016, 08:23 AM
User Info
I also have one razor. That, and blades I keep consistent. I have a few brushes, and a touch too many soaps & aftershaves.

28 1,086
 11-26-2016, 09:00 AM
User Info
I am itching real bad to downsize some of my soaps/creams.  Especially to get rid of anything that has lanolin.  I just hate having to deal with packing/shipping.  But one day I will get to it.

0 131
 11-26-2016, 11:51 AM
User Info
I have about ten razors, but I'm still in the "fitting stage". Find them, try them, keep or sell then repeat. Funny there are those you want to like but are just not quite a good fit. Then others, as common as dirt, and you fall in love with them. My favorite are still SS Flair (I think is very under rated) and my Fat Boy.

0 596
 11-26-2016, 08:57 PM
User Info
(11-26-2016, 12:02 AM)llalm Wrote:
(11-24-2016, 06:37 AM)ultra~nova Wrote: I used to be a small scale collector , now I buy and sell to maintain a small size den. 1 razor 3 brush and working on getting the entire L&L grooming line.

1 razor? That's impressive!

I have had almost everything offered at one time or another in some form or fashion, I have found that a R41 is my favorite DE by a large margin. I have yet to try ATT and will do so in short time. I also shave with straights and I'm in the process of re tooling my straight razor setup currently. No plans to go beyond 1 and 1 , brushes have always been another story. Enjoy!

60 1,529
 11-27-2016, 08:32 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Anyone else had a german lutheran grandmother; those infamous church bazaar casseroles stockpiled like North korean weapon systems? I am no Calvinist or lover of Shaker furniture. Give me stained glass windows, incense choked air a EPA inspector would pale at and a cornucopia of shaving kit. The Kwakiutle ( or was it Tlingit)?  Held POTLATCHES when an affluent clan would give away everything, falling into deep material poverty but gaining great social standing. Eventually after a few potlatches they got the carved fish oil container and blankets back; just like those lutheran casseroles.

2 3,171
 11-28-2016, 03:17 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
I doubt that I'll ever have to downsize, since in my newfound maturity, I'm not acquiring at a rate that will require downsizing to free up shelf and cabinet space. But, that's just me!

My wife grew up in just such a german lutheran family with a couple of grandmothers and aunties as described. It was a bit dicey during WWll and the "potlatch" concept was used as a means of proving fealty to America. There were always some neighbors that were convinced that a Nazi connection existed somewhere in the family. No worries; patriots above and beyond!

0 363
 12-02-2016, 08:59 AM
User Info
(11-27-2016, 08:32 AM)kav Wrote: Anyone else had a german lutheran grandmother; those infamous church bazaar casseroles stockpiled like North korean weapon systems? I am no Calvinist or lover of Shaker furniture. Give me stained glass windows, incense choked air a EPA inspector would pale at and a cornucopia of shaving kit. The Kwakiutle ( or was it Tlingit)?  Held POTLATCHES when an affluent clan would give away everything, falling into deep material poverty but gaining great social standing. Eventually after a few potlatches they got the carved fish oil container and blankets back; just like those lutheran casseroles.

bingo, german Lutheran grandmother.  ohio raised and cold as a fish. I do remember the casseroles as a kid.  fish fries too. Midwestern ramblings of my youth.  my mom had a cherished winter blanket back then. we moved west and boy did the culture change.  thanks for the memory Kav

73 1,296
 12-02-2016, 12:06 PM
User Info
well, i have one more razor to buy then i am done. and i'm keeping them.  now, shave soaps and after shaves and colognes??!!  SWMBO says i gotta use up some of them before she frees up anymore bucks for that. that is why i demoted her to SgtMaj  !!!  Biggrin

0 7
 12-18-2016, 08:50 AM
User Info
I first downsized when I ran out of room on my lavatory counter top. Lucky, though, 'cuz I had a kiddo to give my growing collection of razors to (and a grown son who will use them). I was able to fill the void, so to speak, with additional different razors, and then give a few more to him. I have a few duplicates (like the three Fatboys, so each grandson will have one), but most are variants he doesn't have. I'll probably give him another half-dozen when I see him at Christmas. My plan is to keep no more than the best ten or so assorted injector, SE, and DE razors. As far as soaps go, I have five pucks of Williams (yeah, yeah, I know), a dozen sticks of Arko (I'll give some to my boy to try), and a tube of Cremo (not impressed with this stuff). I just finished the VDH glycerin, so I'm gonna try some of that fancy soap, I reckon. Nothing real smelly, though.

0 9
 12-19-2016, 02:22 PM
User Info
I don't have more than 7 soaps (in rotation) at a time and I use them up before I replace..  I have only 2 brushes.  Vintage razors.  I have 10 in rotation and another 15 or so on the side line that I still use occasionally.  I'm still in the purchasing mode although I'm down to about 6 vintage razors and I pretty much have everything on my acquire list.  Non-vintage I have my eye on a ATT S-1 to replace my C37 which is starting to wrinkle under the cap.  Then I plan on organizing everything and eventually divvy up my collection btwn my son and 2 grandsons.

0 129
 12-25-2016, 06:54 PM
User Info
I've given away all my Muhle, Merkur, and Jagger razors, keeping only my original Merkur Progress and my current Mergress XL.  I can't justify giving away my ATT Kronos M2 and R2 - only because I spent (in my mind anyway) a lot of money to acquire them.

Thing is, I only use my Mergress XL anymore.  My Progress is there as a backup or for if I travel.  I haven't used a non-adjustable razor in 6 months, realizing my preference is for adjustables only.  I will not buy a non-adjustable razor, regardless how hyped or popular it may be.  I've found what works and I simply don't care to spend vast sums of money to "try out" a new razor.  If I do purchase a new razor, it'll be another Mergress or a SS adjustable.  Period.

I do like variety and options however in my soaps - though I'm finding I've narrowed down my preferences to tallow based soaps.  And the creams I used to like I'm finding are beginning to gather dust in favor of the Tabac, MWF, and various B & Ms and CRSWs that I just can't seem.... not to use.

0 377
 01-27-2017, 10:30 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Well, I stopped buying shaving related stuff and it feels great. The last time I bought something was about 2 months ago. When you have so many products to last you a lifetime or more, it's getting boring and futile to keep buying more. I've bought a great number of products the last 4 years I'm into wetshaving and managed to keep only those I truly enjoy.

When you keep buying shaving stuff, you really don't enjoy them. NOW I started enjoying my products and focus on them, after stopped buying more. I can't say that I don't want to try a few new products that caught my eye, but I know that I'll use them 2-3 times and then Ι'll buy something else and use it 2-3 times and that's how the story goes... It's a never ending cycle. You open your cabinet and you have no idea when or if you'll finish half of them. Collecting software is just wrong to me. It's pointless. Hardware is another story. Soaps and creams have a limited lifetime and most turn bad after a few years. I recall artisan soaps and creams that after two years in my position many traits of them were changed. A great example is T&H 10 cream, which acquired a more woody and less floral scent, its texture also changed, or artisan soaps that hardened and their color and/ or scent changed over time. I can't imagine myself having 100-200 soaps and feel ok with this. I'd have to shave 3 times daily to finish them... In my experience, soaps and creams do have an expiration date. Maybe it's not 12 or 24 months that it's written on their labels, I'm referring to European products because Americans I think don't mention that, but it's a bit more. Italian soaps/ croaps, Cella etc., turn after a few months of use, the scent of harder soaps vanishes over time and that's how it goes. All products will shave you well but they will definitely not be the same as the day you purchased them, their scent/texture or even colour will change after a few years. Unless if someone doesn't care about the other traits of a soap, except of its performance. Personally, I care.

49 1,996
 01-29-2017, 05:37 AM
User Info
(01-27-2017, 10:30 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
Soaps and creams have a limited lifetime and most turn bad after a few years. I recall artisan soaps and creams that after two years in my position many traits of them were changed. ...  I can't imagine myself having 100-200 soaps and feel ok with this. I'd have to shave 3 times daily to finish them... In my experience, soaps and creams do have an expiration date. Maybe it's not 12 or 24 months that it's written on their labels, I'm referring to European products because Americans I think don't mention that, but it's a bit more. Italian soaps/ croaps, Cella etc., turn after a few months of use, the scent of harder soaps vanishes over time and that's how it goes. All products will shave you well but they will definitely not be the same as the day you purchased them, their scent/texture or even colour will change after a few years. 

+1

1 399
 01-31-2017, 12:24 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
I'm currently keeping my stuff to a minimum. Two SE razors, one brush, seven soaps, and one cream. For travel two DE razors and one soap stick.  I need an extra brush.

18 415
 01-31-2017, 04:52 PM
User Info
Im pretty much down to wolfman sb or oc... Depending on mood... Xpec , adp, abc for soap.. And i have 5 brushes... 3 mf and 2 paladin... And use super iridium only for blades... Floid blue... Then abc apricot, tobacco, or sandalwood...

0 101
 02-01-2017, 03:12 AM
User Info
(01-27-2017, 10:30 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
Well, I stopped buying shaving related stuff and it feels great. The last time I bought something was about 2 months ago. When you have so many products to last you a lifetime or more, it's getting boring and futile to keep buying more. I've bought a great number of products the last 4 years I'm into wetshaving and managed to keep only those I truly enjoy.

When you keep buying shaving stuff, you really don't enjoy them. NOW I started enjoying my products and focus on them, after stopped buying more. I can't say that I don't want to try a few new products that caught my eye, but I know that I'll use them 2-3 times and then Ι'll buy something else and use it 2-3 times and that's how the story goes... It's a never ending cycle. You open your cabinet and you have no idea when or if you'll finish half of them. Collecting software is just wrong to me. It's pointless. Hardware is another story. Soaps and creams have a limited lifetime and most turn bad after a few years. I recall artisan soaps and creams that after two years in my position many traits of them were changed. A great example is T&H 10 cream, which acquired a more woody and less floral scent, its texture also changed, or artisan soaps that hardened and their color and/ or scent changed over time. I can't imagine myself having 100-200 soaps and feel ok with this. I'd have to shave 3 times daily to finish them... In my experience, soaps and creams do have an expiration date. Maybe it's not 12 or 24 months that it's written on their labels, I'm referring to European products because Americans I think don't mention that, but it's a bit more. Italian soaps/ croaps, Cella etc., turn after a few months of use, the scent of harder soaps vanishes over time and that's how it goes. All products will shave you well but they will definitely not be the same as the day you purchased them, their scent/texture or even colour will change after a few years. Unless if someone doesn't care about the other traits of a soap, except of its performance. Personally, I care.

I agree Nikos.

Believe it or not, since I started my unscented journey with soaps/creams, I have not bought anything.

I think it's been 2 months now since I last purchased a soap or a cream.

You may be right, many of my 100's creams and soaps may start to turn soon, but I hope they don't, but I expect some will soon, as I started my collection craze in 2011/2012, and really went overboard in 2013/2014/2015/2016

Hoping most of my products will stay fresh, I just got to start using them and hope the best.
My Acqua di Parma shaving cream in the pot, the new one, have started to crack down the middle from drying out. I have used it 2-3 times total.
Many others will probably follow.

Will try to focus on certain brands now, stop buying new brands, in order to limit my buying craze. L&L, Tallow & Steel, while wonderful soaps, will most likely never be part of my den. I managed to cancel my order for the entire L&L and Tallow&Steel soap collection, because I realized the level of absurdity it was to just keep on buying and buying and buying, and never really getting to know a product in depth, because you keep buying new products every single week of the year.

24 5,966
 02-01-2017, 03:47 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I'm into downsizing mode right now.  I plan to sell all 6 of my DE razors and my 1 SE razor; I went back to Mach3 and Sensor 3 years ago and get a more comfortable and close shave with them than I ever did with my DEs and SE.  I'm also looking to sell 2 or 3 brushes.  As for shaving cream and soap and aftershave, I have a year's supply so no need to sell.

7 909
 02-01-2017, 05:42 AM
User Info
(02-01-2017, 03:47 AM)Rufus Wrote: I'm into downsizing mode right now.  I plan to sell all 6 of my DE razors and my 1 SE razor; I went back to Mach3 and Sensor 3 years ago and get a more comfortable and close shave with them than I ever did with my DEs and SE.  I'm also looking to sell 2 or 3 brushes.  As for shaving cream and soap and aftershave, I have a year's supply so no need to sell.

I did the same last year. Sold all my 50-60 DE razors.

Though kept two SE razors, but now went back to use my Fusion for first pass, Mach3 for second pass and touch up. Perfect shaves. Don't use plastic handles though.

Can't see myself going back to using a DE again. The SE is better, but can't compete with the shave I get from Fusion + Mach3.

I gave DE and SE 5-6 years. That's enough of experimenting

24 5,966
 02-01-2017, 06:33 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(02-01-2017, 05:42 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(02-01-2017, 03:47 AM)Rufus Wrote: I'm into downsizing mode right now.  I plan to sell all 6 of my DE razors and my 1 SE razor; I went back to Mach3 and Sensor 3 years ago and get a more comfortable and close shave with them than I ever did with my DEs and SE.  I'm also looking to sell 2 or 3 brushes.  As for shaving cream and soap and aftershave, I have a year's supply so no need to sell.

I did the same last year. Sold all my 50-60 DE razors.

Though kept two SE razors, but now went back to use my Fusion for first pass, Mach3 for second pass and touch up. Perfect shaves. Don't use plastic handles though.

Can't see myself going back to using a DE again. The SE is better, but can't compete with the shave I get from Fusion + Mach3.

I gave DE and SE 5-6 years. That's enough of experimenting

Claus, that's been my experience exactly.  The reason I've hung on to my DEs and SE for the last 3 years is to be absolutely sure that I would get fed up with my cartridges; I haven't, and in fact I like my Mach3 and Sensor more than ever.  I was just looking at my DEs and realized that I have ea hoard of DE blades to off-load as well.

7 909
 02-01-2017, 08:23 AM
User Info
I left cartridges due to ingrown hairs. I haven't had any since using DE.  Cool

0 596