02-01-2017, 09:50 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(02-01-2017, 03:12 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-27-2017, 10:30 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
Well, I stopped buying shaving related stuff and it feels great. The last time I bought something was about 2 months ago. When you have so many products to last you a lifetime or more, it's getting boring and futile to keep buying more. I've bought a great number of products the last 4 years I'm into wetshaving and managed to keep only those I truly enjoy.

When you keep buying shaving stuff, you really don't enjoy them. NOW I started enjoying my products and focus on them, after stopped buying more. I can't say that I don't want to try a few new products that caught my eye, but I know that I'll use them 2-3 times and then Ι'll buy something else and use it 2-3 times and that's how the story goes... It's a never ending cycle. You open your cabinet and you have no idea when or if you'll finish half of them. Collecting software is just wrong to me. It's pointless. Hardware is another story. Soaps and creams have a limited lifetime and most turn bad after a few years. I recall artisan soaps and creams that after two years in my position many traits of them were changed. A great example is T&H 10 cream, which acquired a more woody and less floral scent, its texture also changed, or artisan soaps that hardened and their color and/ or scent changed over time. I can't imagine myself having 100-200 soaps and feel ok with this. I'd have to shave 3 times daily to finish them... In my experience, soaps and creams do have an expiration date. Maybe it's not 12 or 24 months that it's written on their labels, I'm referring to European products because Americans I think don't mention that, but it's a bit more. Italian soaps/ croaps, Cella etc., turn after a few months of use, the scent of harder soaps vanishes over time and that's how it goes. All products will shave you well but they will definitely not be the same as the day you purchased them, their scent/texture or even colour will change after a few years. Unless if someone doesn't care about the other traits of a soap, except of its performance. Personally, I care.

I agree Nikos.

Believe it or not, since I started my unscented  journey with soaps/creams, I have not bought anything.

I think it's been 2 months now since I last purchased a soap or a cream.

You may be right, many of my 100's creams and soaps may start to turn soon, but I hope they don't, but I expect some will soon, as I started my collection craze in 2011/2012, and really went overboard in 2013/2014/2015/2016

Hoping most of my products will stay fresh, I just got to start using them and hope the best.
My Acqua di Parma shaving cream in the pot, the new one, have started to crack down the middle from drying out. I have used it 2-3 times total.
Many others will probably follow.

Will try to focus on certain brands now, stop buying new brands, in order to limit my buying craze.  L&L, Tallow & Steel, while wonderful soaps, will most likely never be part of my den. I managed to cancel my order for the entire L&L and Tallow&Steel soap collection, because I realized the level of absurdity it was to just keep on buying and buying and buying, and never really getting to know a product in depth, because you keep buying new products every single week of the year.

My last soap purchase was on October I think.

After trying dozens of products, you're getting tired. It's inevitable.

Claus, I never liked unscented soaps. I had bought only one, the Valobra, but sold it.

49 1,999
 02-03-2017, 02:18 PM
User Info
I am at a point where my soap collections have become ovewhelming. I'm only picking 5 now every month and sticking with them, so that they are more manageable.

I am far more pickier now and read and ask questions more before I buy or post a WTB on the BST.

I don't resell any of my stuff but I'm taking comfort in the thought that hopefully my boys would enjoy my collections when they grow up.

The razors and I'm assuming the brushes should last decades, but it's the soaps and aftershaves that are giving me pause for concern.

11 1,169
 02-03-2017, 04:16 PM
User Info
(02-03-2017, 02:18 PM)1Geralt Wrote: I am at a point where my soap collections have become ovewhelming. I'm only picking 5 now every month and sticking with them, so that they are more manageable.

I am far more pickier now and read and ask questions more before I buy or post a WTB on the BST.

I don't resell any of my stuff but I'm taking comfort in the thought that hopefully my boys would enjoy my collections when they grow up.

The razors and I'm assuming the brushes should last decades, but it's the soaps and aftershaves that are giving me pause for concern.

How many soaps/creams do you have in your collection currently ?

24 5,972
 02-06-2017, 11:44 PM
User Info
(02-03-2017, 04:16 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(02-03-2017, 02:18 PM)1Geralt Wrote: I am at a point where my soap collections have become ovewhelming. I'm only picking 5 now every month and sticking with them, so that they are more manageable.

How many soaps/creams do you have in your collection currently ?

Lol, far from yours I'm afraid my friend, but overwhelming nonetheless. 

I don't know exactly but if I can make a guesstimate, it would be around 100 give or take.

11 1,169
 02-07-2017, 06:55 PM
User Info
I haven't bought anything in probably 3 months.  Last soaps I got were for Christmas.

Settled on a couple razors I like and have a stash of so many different kinds of soaps that the cabinet beneath my sink is packed.

My stash of razor blades (mostly Polsilvers) will last me I figure about 15 years.  Keep them in a hermetically sealed box with dessicant.

I make my own brushes - Silvertip badgers all.  I'll continue to make those as I've a small little market now of friends and acquaintances interested in buying them.  Fun and satisfying little hobby.

Got my boss sold on wetshaving.  Gave him a Merkur and EJ razor I didn't want, along with a couple of creams, some alum (I've still 2 blocks left), and one of my brushes - and now he's hooked.  We occasionally come in to work and see each other across the office and will run the back of our fingers up our cheeks with smiles - signifying great BBS shaves that morning.  Smile  He's got a friend in northern Michigan that has a supply of various hardwood burls he wants me to use to make brushes.

Bottom line - I've figured out what I like most, what works for me best, and frankly... that's enough.

0 377
 02-07-2017, 09:07 PM
User Info
(02-07-2017, 06:55 PM)Niemander Wrote: I haven't bought anything in probably 3 months.  Last soaps I got were for Christmas.

Settled on a couple razors I like and have a stash of so many different kinds of soaps that the cabinet beneath my sink is packed.

My stash of razor blades (mostly Polsilvers) will last me I figure about 15 years.  Keep them in a hermetically sealed box with dessicant.

I make my own brushes - Silvertip badgers all.  I'll continue to make those as I've a small little market now of friends and acquaintances interested in buying them.  Fun and satisfying little hobby.

Got my boss sold on wetshaving.  Gave him a Merkur and EJ razor I didn't want, along with a couple of creams, some alum (I've still 2 blocks left), and one of my brushes - and now he's hooked.  We occasionally come in to work and see each other across the office and will run the back of our fingers up our cheeks with smiles - signifying great BBS shaves that morning.  Smile  He's got a friend in northern Michigan that has a supply of various hardwood burls he wants me to use to make brushes.

Bottom line - I've figured out what I like most, what works for me best, and frankly... that's enough.

You're lucky. I have no one to talk to about wetshaving where I'm from... lol. 

Hmm, I have a few dessicant from a couple supplement bottles. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Putting my blades in a covered tupperware and leave a packet of dessicant in there.

How much blades do you have in your stash?

11 1,169
 02-08-2017, 07:34 AM
User Info
I've found downsizing to be extremely liberating.  I had so many brushes, razors, razor handles and soaps that I felt like a fool.  I have now sold all of the brushes I will and all that remains are 6 Rooney Finest brushes, and a Simpsons Two band.  I have no desire for another brush, I tried so many of them and have narrowed it down to what I enjoy.  I have retained three razors after owning in the neighborhood of 30, but really only ever use my Weber DLC or ARC on a single UFO U2 handle, and occasionally mix in a shave or two with the Futur. I still have a stock pile of soaps and creams that will last me years, and nearly all of them are soaps and creams I enjoy and will use completely.   I am glad to be rid of a bunch of baggage that only proved to demonstrate I had no self control in spending on my hobbies. Simplicity (even if my definition of simplicity is owning 6 Rooney Finest brushes!) is happiness for me.

74 2,277
 02-08-2017, 08:50 AM
User Info
I am on the end of serious downsizing since Fall last year. A minimalist at heart in all aspects of my life, I really wanted to make an exception and display the 30+ DE razors I collected and use the 30+soaps I purchased, but just couldnt. I was able to quickly reduce the volume of soaps by making a conscious decision to choose soaps which had minimal ingredients and closest to being all natural.

On the razor side, that was the longer part. I didnt realize until after I bought and tried nearly ever possible manufactured razor from Gillette and most current manufactured SS razors that my face just does better with milder razors and my EJ89 and British Flat Plate Tech feel like heaven on my face(outside of any trusty adjustable TTO).

Luckily after trying about 20 different brush styles, I lucked onto the vintage Ever Ready 100 style as my absolute favorite for size and style to either bowl or face lather. Now my Soap and Razor AD has transferred into collecting all color variations of these and setting them with new knots if needed. Brushes could be the weakness in my minimalist approach. But at least they can never go bad!

It would have been nice to keep all the razors I purchased, but like many I am not a collector and want to use what I own. But man....holding some of those Aristocrats.....things of beauty they are!

What is nice about TSN is the section to view others Shave Dens and appreciate the hobby we have and enjoy others' collections.

39 275
 02-10-2017, 10:21 PM
  • Nonick
  • Straight razor
  • Australia
User Info
Because of travel I'm forced to keep a very small collection which has been good for me. It means I only keep the things I really love, while having a few items to cycle through.

The rule is simple, when I buy something new, I sell the thing I'm using least, and only keep three soaps/creams at one time.

0 51
 03-17-2017, 09:06 AM
User Info
Why keep something that is not working for me? Probably for somebody it will be fantastic experience and try something new without breaking the bank.
Recently I count so many soaps and AS which are taking space. I am planing to trade and continue my journey.

1 54
 03-17-2017, 10:19 AM
User Info
I don't clear my den often enough.  Spurts come and go but I never seem to get ahead.  Still, starting with my BST activity yesterday, I'm determined to purge items that haven't seen the light of day in years.  In particular, this applies to software.  Just how many shave sticks do I need?  I almost never use creams.  Soaps that were top performers years ago, now are displaced by new gen product.  And the reasons go on and on.  I think a few PIFs are in order.  Shy

73 4,304
 03-17-2017, 10:24 AM
User Info
I have to impose rules or things get out of hand. Thirty razors and a half dozen soaps. I bought two more razors this week which means others not often used will be shown the door if I decide to keep the new ones.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 221
 03-19-2017, 08:34 PM
User Info
Great question! I'm considering my first downsizing as I have found much of what works for me. I've tried 16 razors and have come to the conclusion I like mid-aggressive razors. I suppose once I've downsized to my satisfaction I'll try another mid-aggressive razor, so I could choose to see it as an opportunity. Thanks for helping me think that one out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 67
 03-22-2017, 02:16 PM
User Info
Dear gents;

i thank you all for this thread.  it makes me realize that i am not insane.  i have 10 straights. 7 DEs.  2 SEs.  10 brushes.  20 soaps-creams.  and an undetermined number of after shaves.  
i like to think that i am really close to being complete.  i know to never say never, but for the moment, thats it.  the combinations are endless.  that is what i like.  

the stuff i don't want anymore i use it to start other people in the hobby.  it is very little.  i learned early enough to do research and go for the good stuff.  now i will concentrate in learning better technique, for some time... that  and soap making and after shave making.

best regards, 

pepe peña

0 479