08-09-2012, 12:05 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Thanks to Greg, I'm now the (very) happy owner of my first Simpsons shaving brush - Case in Best Badger Euro

Case dimensions: Height: 82mm / Loft: 40mm / Base: 42mm / Knot: 19mm

[Image: 4H7M6.jpg]

Simpsons "Case" Best Badger

[Image: ngPlW.jpg]

[Image: 7zY38.jpg]

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to use a Simpsons Chubby H2 in Best Badger for a month. Everything about that brush spoke top quality to me, but if I'm being totally honest here I found it a little too large for my tastes, the 27mm diameter knot was just a bit too much for me. 24mm diameter seems to be my knot "sweet spot" limit range, with 20mm to 22mm being preferred.

I exclusively face lather and simply prefer small to medium sized shaving brushes, as I find they offer me greater control of lather placement and the feel of those sized knots on my face just feels right to me.

Until I've finished with the Blind DE Blade Test I won't be able to use the Case out in the wild Facepalm

That said I've already whipped up a nice test lather with it, using Prairie Creations "Old Spice" shaving soap. Picking up enough soap wasn't a problem, then working the brush in the palm of my hand effortlessly produced a silky smooth lather Thumbsup

For a small brush the Case has really good weight, handle is solid and big enough to make it comfortable in the hand.

Honestly I don't think I can add anything to what's already been said about Simpsons Best Badger hair - it really is top quality stuff, no question about not (at least in my mind)... For a 19mm diameter knot the Case is (very) well packed, definitely not on the sparse side (like my Edwin Jagger - Super Badger - Small Black Handle brush).

[Image: PG3m9.jpg]

Simpsons "Case" Best Badger shaving brush (post bloom)

[Image: H9NIu.jpg]

Simpsons "Case" Best Badger shaving brush (post bloom)

All in all I'm very happy with my first Simpsons shaving brush, now I need to (try and) be a good boy and wait patiently for the wife to buy me a Chubby H1 and a Duke 3. Wish me luck Wink

23 1,872
 08-09-2012, 01:12 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thanks for your inputs,my friend.
How would you compare this brush to the Taylor of Old Bond Street 1/1 super badger that you have sent me?I found that brush to be perfect for facelathering,but Im sure this could be another great too.
I should put it on my list after reading your thoughts/impressions of it...

86 7,123
 08-09-2012, 05:39 PM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
Glad you liked the CASE Mike...it was/ is a great little brush and a superb face lathering tool...Use it in good health my friend and hope you get your hands on the Chubby 1 and Duke 3 you mention...Both are phenomenal and are at the top of my home rotation. Congrats and welcome to the Simpsons "brethren".

45 708
 08-09-2012, 05:44 PM
User Info
the CASE is my only simpson right now (D3 on the way) and it's a face lathering machine.

i use it camping and enjoy it every time i pull it out. great little handle, great little knot.

enjoy it, it's a beauty.

8 2,718
 08-09-2012, 05:44 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Love my case when traveling great little brush

115 1,692
 08-09-2012, 07:30 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Mike. Happy shaves.

75 20,883
 08-09-2012, 07:47 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Mike. That's a great little brush. I have a couple vintage ones that I really like a lot.

184 12,003
 08-09-2012, 11:40 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
Hope your good lady comes through with the goods! Enjoy the brush you have; it's a great little brush!

1 290
 08-10-2012, 03:42 AM
User Info
Yep, I also like the Case for most uses.....it really is the right size, and it can whip up an amazing lather.

I hope you enjoy using it (I'm sure you will).

37 1,731
 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(08-09-2012, 01:12 PM)Teiste Wrote: How would you compare this brush to the Taylor of Old Bond Street 1/1 super badger that you have sent me?I found that brush to be perfect for facelathering,but Im sure this could be another great too.
I should put it on my list after reading your thoughts/impressions of it...

Hi Teiste

Overall the Case is a slightly scaled down version of the TOBS RT1S ie:
  • Case - Best Badger, Height: 82mm / Loft: 40mm / Base: 42mm / Knot: 19mm / Base diameter is less than the RT1S
  • RT1S - Super Badger, Height: 85mm / Loft: 43mm / Base: 42mm / Knot: 21mm or 22mm (haven't got a pair of calipers to get exact measurement)
I would say the RT1S badger hair tips are softer. RT1S knot isn't as packed as the Case, therefore RT1S offers better flow through, but doesn't have as much backbone.

Both brushes are dynamite and are top quality face lathering brushes (IMHO). Both offer something different regarding their feel on the face, but both deliver where it counts as far as I'm concerned ie Build quality, face lathering machines, build and release lather with ease...

If you can wait until I've had a chance to use the Case properly for a week or two (after I've finished with the Blind DE Blade Test), I will send it to you to try.

Gents, thanks for the positive feedback on the Case and please keep telling my wife telepathically I need those other Simpsons shaving brushes Biggrin

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 08-11-2012, 01:06 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
Mrs Perry:
you feel the need to buy Simpson's shaving brushes ... you feel the need to buy Simpson's shaving brushes ... you feel the need to buy Simpson's shaving brushes ... you feel the need to buy Simpson's shaving brushes ... you feel the need to buy Simpson's shaving brushes ... you feel the need to buy Simpson's shaving brushes ...

1 290
 09-21-2012, 11:18 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(08-09-2012, 12:05 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Honestly I don't think I can add anything to what's already been said about Simpsons Best Badger hair - it really is top quality stuff, no question about not (at least in my mind)... For a 19mm diameter knot the Case is (very) well packed, definitely not on the sparse side (like my Edwin Jagger - Super Badger - Small Black Handle brush).

Ok! I've now used the Case three times out in the wild and it really is a dynamite little shaving brush (except for one minor problem I run into, see below).

Picks up shaving soaps with ease.

The knot maybe small, but it really is (very) well packed and blooms very nicely. No doubt about it in my mind, Simpsons know their onions ie They possess the skill and know how to assemble beautiful knots (which should come as no real surprise to anyone).

I'll keep saying it, Simpsons Best Badger hair really is top quality stuff, in the case of the Case the Best Badger offers a little bit of scritch (I couldn't detect any scratch) when used in circular, scrubbing motions (not my preferred method of building lather on my face) and the knot opens up nicely to release the soap/lather within.

When used in painting strokes the hair is soft, not super soft, but pleasantly soft with no noticeable scritch or scratch. Being a well packed knot and having a relatively short loft you're made aware of a (small) wall of badger with good backbone, though the knot still gives up its content without a fight.

(08-09-2012, 12:05 PM)mikeperry Wrote: For a small brush the Case has really good weight, handle is solid and big enough to make it comfortable in the hand.

I'm going to have to redact part of the above statement.

For me personally the handle could be a little more comfortable, during use I find one of my fingers digging (enough) into the raised ridge running around the handle to become slightly uncomfortable. If the raised ridge was either 3 to 4mm higher up the handle or rounded over (instead of tapering to a point) I wouldn't run into that "digging into" problem. Refer to below photo to see what I'm talking about here...

[Image: CLwig.jpg]

(L to R) M&F Style 1 Size 1, Simpsons Case, TOBS RT1S

I just hope the wife really love me, as my Simpsons Wish List has now grown to five additional shaving brushes...

23 1,872
 09-21-2012, 12:31 PM
User Info
She is a regular in my rotation and my faithful travel companion, altho' the Classic 1 Manchurian has made a few departure lounges ... ;-)

Mark

1 630
 09-21-2012, 01:10 PM
User Info
(09-21-2012, 12:31 PM)Simpson1919 Wrote: She is a regular in my rotation and my faithful travel companion, altho' the Classic 1 Manchurian has made a few departure lounges ... ;-)

Mark

I know I'll probably have to e-mail you, or you me if you have a suggestion but... Case compared to Classic for a travel brush?

I think that's the next thing we'll have to work on. Wink

4 156
 09-21-2012, 01:21 PM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
(09-21-2012, 01:10 PM)Mike_P Wrote:
(09-21-2012, 12:31 PM)Simpson1919 Wrote: She is a regular in my rotation and my faithful travel companion, altho' the Classic 1 Manchurian has made a few departure lounges ... ;-)

Mark

I know I'll probably have to e-mail you, or you me if you have a suggestion but... Case compared to Classic for a travel brush?

Hi Mike...I had a CASE for quite a while and was my go to travel brush along with my Wee Scot until I discovered the Classic 1. It is a beautiful, dense, soap eating little machine...A lot of people refer to the Classic 1 as a Chubby 0 due to the density, face feel and performance but I believe that the Classic has a tad better flow thru...Great thing about the Classic 1 is that it too fits in the Simpson Travel Tube...I recently upgraded to the Classic 1 Manchurian Badger and have not left home without it.

45 708
 09-21-2012, 01:29 PM
User Info
(09-21-2012, 01:21 PM)GMofmiami Wrote:
(09-21-2012, 01:10 PM)Mike_P Wrote:

Mark

Hi Mike...I had a CASE for quite a while and was my go to travel brush along with my Wee Scot until I discovered the Classic 1. It is a beautiful, dense, soap eating little machine...A lot of people refer to the Classic 1 as a Chubby 0 due to the density, face feel and performance but I believe that the Classic has a tad better flow thru...Great thing about the Classic 1 is that it too fits in the Simpson Travel Tube...I recently upgraded to the Classic 1 Manchurian Badger and have not left home without it.

Excellent information, thank you very much!

Mark! This is our next task! lol

4 156
 09-28-2012, 09:29 AM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
The small Simpson brushes in best are really excellent!

1 108
 09-28-2012, 07:00 PM
User Info
I hope you get the Simpsons brushes you want Mike!

They really are nice brushes.

32 6,309