11-24-2016, 12:31 PM
User Info
Has anyone had a chance to try both of these guys?  I'm just wondering how you guys found they compared or differed and which one was more aggressive.  I just watched a video on youtube that suggested he thought he hawk felt more aggressive than a mongoose.  I'm trying to get an idea of roughly how aggressive all these newly offered SE's are, even though I'm sure everyone will experience them differently.

12 848
 11-24-2016, 12:37 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(11-24-2016, 12:31 PM)ShaneN. Wrote: Has anyone had a chance to try both of these guys?  I'm just wondering how you guys found they compared or differed and which one was more aggressive.  I just watched a video on youtube that suggested he thought he hawk felt more aggressive than a mongoose.  I'm trying to get an idea of roughly how aggressive all these newly offered SE's are, even though I'm sure everyone will experience them differently.

I find the Hawk to be less aggressive than the Mongoose. I sold off my 2 Mongoose razors (Aluminum and regular). I am currently enjoying the Hawk in my razor rotation

68 1,068
 11-24-2016, 01:16 PM
User Info
I have a pair of Hawks, a chrome one and a black one. In my experience they're on the mild side, milder than all of the Mongooses (Mongeese?) except the Alumigoose 2.

El Jefe is significantly more aggressive, more so than the Mongoose batch 3 that I used to have, and approaching Cobra/Asylum Rx territory. It's made of an alloy that is much heavier than the aluminum used in the Hawk - the head is a full ounce heavier. This gives it a feel that is very different from the Hawk, more like a SS Mongoose or ATT SE.

--Bob

0 185
 11-24-2016, 01:19 PM
User Info
Thanks for the replies guys

(11-24-2016, 01:16 PM)spidey9 Wrote: I have a pair of Hawks, a chrome one and a black one. In my experience they're on the mild side, milder than all of the Mongooses (Mongeese?) except the Alumigoose 2.

El Jefe is significantly more aggressive, more so than the Mongoose batch 3 that I used to have, and approaching Cobra/Asylum Rx territory. It's made of an alloy that is much heavier than the aluminum used in the Hawk - the head is a full ounce heavier. This gives it a feel that is very different from the Hawk, more like a SS Mongoose or ATT SE.

--Bob

That gives me a great perspective on them actually.  I'm thinking the hawk might not be for me then.

12 848
 11-25-2016, 08:35 AM
User Info
(11-24-2016, 01:19 PM)ShaneN. Wrote: Thanks for the replies guys

(11-24-2016, 01:16 PM)spidey9 Wrote: I have a pair of Hawks, a chrome one and a black one. In my experience they're on the mild side, milder than all of the Mongooses (Mongeese?) except the Alumigoose 2.

--Bob

That gives me a great perspective on them actually.  I'm thinking the hawk might not be for me then.
The Hawk with a Feather Pro Super is incredible

121 13,122
 11-25-2016, 09:41 AM
User Info
I have the chrome Hawk, the El-Jefe and the RX. I've tried the boss and the RX with the same pro blade and the RX is more aggressive.
The Hawk I tried with the pro and it felt less aggressive than both of the above. A great razor though. In fact the RX and the El-Jefe are more aggressive with the pro guard than the Hawk on the pro.

0 283
 11-25-2016, 02:16 PM
User Info
(11-25-2016, 08:35 AM)slantman Wrote:
(11-24-2016, 01:19 PM)ShaneN. Wrote: Thanks for the replies guys

--Bob

The Hawk with a Feather Pro Super is incredible

Damn, just when I thought I didn't need one.  I have two packs of supers that I'd never use otherwise, maybe I'll just get one anyways.  Word on the street is that next week there will be a satin silver hawk released....

12 848
 11-29-2016, 01:11 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
I have a Blackhawk and El Jefe and am about 3 shaves in on each.  The Hawk is an insanely light razor and benefits from a heavier handle.  Overall I prefer the Ikon razor and find it more intuitive than the Hawk in terms of finding the best angle on my face.

4 194
 01-05-2017, 06:05 AM
User Info
What do you guys think about the ikon SE? is is worth holding out for a mongoose or general?

0 57
 01-05-2017, 08:42 AM
User Info
I have no knowledge of the Hawk -- but El Jefe (part of the bonanza I got from Kris Kringle here on TSN) has been doing a really nice job for me.

I read up on the head/blade alignment issue and have had no problems -- just one little pinprick in several shaves.
I've been using a KAI Captain Mild.

8 916
 01-19-2017, 06:35 AM
User Info
Hello everyone, I have owned El Jefe and Hawk for several months. I found the El Jefe almost even sweeter than the hawk, but at least as effective. Very effective I think, I liked El Jefe very much (which I resold to acquire the General), but it is necessary to align its blade by pushing it as much as possible against the pins towards the back of the head.

At the moment, El Jefe was my best razor, but I'm waiting to test the General.

0 210
 01-19-2017, 11:51 AM
User Info

--Bob

I would have to agree with everything Bob says, other than I have not tried an Asylum. I agree the the El Jefe is more aggressive than both the Hawk and B3 Mongoose.

The Hawk was more aggressive than the Alumigoose 2 I owned. That isn't saying much, in my opinion the Alumigoose was mild enough to call worthless. (At least for my beard)

15 403
 01-19-2017, 12:09 PM
User Info
i'm not agree with you for the el jefe.

i explain, the jefe is more aggressive than the hawk than if the blade is not properly aligned before use.

it's my opinion, ok, but after 2 months of shaves with hawk and el jefe, i'm sure.

0 210
 01-19-2017, 12:46 PM
User Info
(01-19-2017, 12:09 PM)PapySnake Wrote: i'm not agree with you for the el jefe.

i explain, the jefe is more aggressive than the hawk than if the blade is not properly aligned before use.

it's my opinion, ok, but after 2 months of shaves with hawk and el jefe, i'm sure.

I am not sure who you are disagreeing with, and you are more than entitled to your opinion, but I will stand by mine.

I can also assure you that I am aware of how to align a blade on a wonky razor head.

15 403
 01-19-2017, 01:13 PM
User Info
Ok, what is the blade you use in this razor? To enjoy feather super pro and kai captain titan mild, I find this last (kai) ideal in el jefe.

0 210
 01-19-2017, 01:46 PM
User Info
(01-19-2017, 01:13 PM)PapySnake Wrote: Ok, what is the blade you use in this razor? To enjoy feather super pro and kai captain titan mild, I find this last (kai) ideal in el jefe.

I only use Feather Pro in it. I usually only keep Pro and Super blades around, and I never saw any need for anything more than a Pro. Both my Mongoose and General also get Pros fed to it, I used Supers in the Hawk and also the Alumigoose before I sold them.

Handle choice can also make a difference in how a razor feels, and the only handle I own that my Boss' threads will accept is a rather heavy Maggard. (MR5)

15 403
 01-19-2017, 02:34 PM
User Info
In my opinion, the El-Jeffe with the pro is way too aggressive for me, YMMV. With the pro-guard or the Kai mild, loaded correctly, it's a superb razor.

0 283
 01-20-2017, 06:02 AM
User Info
yeah, i'm ok !

with a kai captain titan mild, it's a perfect razor for this blade.

0 210
 02-27-2017, 12:47 PM
User Info
Hello
can a Feather Pro Light blade be used in the Ikon El Jefe?
thanks for your help.

0 39