11-25-2016, 12:33 PM
User Info
Congratulations! If I had to pick one razor for life this would be in a battle to the death vs polished blackbird... And I think the bbs1 may win due to the ever so slightly wider effective angle.

17 564
 11-25-2016, 03:07 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Thank you everyone for your kind words! Biggrin 

I'm of the opinion that generosity must be recognised, especially when we read so many things about flipping items on bidding sites, which in my honest opinion is a problematic behaviour. Instead of giving an opportunity to a fellow shaver to try a nice item, some guys prefer to offer them at exorbitant prices or ask for crazy things. That's why I said who was the member that helped me out with my searching. The fact that a good member approached me and offered me his razor means a lot. As I said, I gave a few tries in the near past and no one seemed to really want to offer his razor at the retail price or without trading with me unobtanium items that I don't have anyway. So, there is a bad side, but there is a good one too. It's the opposite of the "Public Announcement" thread.

48 1,877
 11-25-2016, 03:20 PM
User Info
Tony is an excellent member of the community, and he certainly deserves credit for passing on an item that sold for over $700 on eBay last week. 

I too have been the beneficiary of the kindness of others when it comes to hard to find items. That is what makes this community special. Just remember, Nick, to pass on this generosity to others yourself when you can. It's a hugely important obligation that distinguishes TSN from other forums...

140 803
 11-25-2016, 03:26 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(11-25-2016, 03:20 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: Just remember, Nick, to pass on this generosity to others yourself when you can. It's a hugely important obligation that distinguishes TSN from other forums...

I'm really trying to do that every time I post a new thread on BST.

TSN is a great community and I'm very glad to be a part of it.

48 1,877
 11-25-2016, 03:36 PM
User Info
Is quite nice Enjoy!

8 1,624
 11-25-2016, 04:40 PM
User Info
I am happy you were the recipient of another member's generosity, but selling an item at the market is fine too.  I don't recall anyone stepping up and making a fellow whole when trying to sell a less desirable  item at a considerable loss.

6 150
 11-25-2016, 05:07 PM
User Info
Great to see, love that more BBS-1's are getting into the hands of people who appreciate them!

15 1,000
 11-25-2016, 05:41 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(11-25-2016, 04:40 PM)Never2Close Wrote: I am happy you were the recipient of another member's generosity, but selling an item at the market is fine too.  I don't recall anyone stepping up and making a fellow whole when trying to sell a less desirable  item at a considerable loss.

Yes, it's fine, if you're not trying to take advantage of other members' desire to try an item. Again, this is a hobby. I think we had this discussion a few days ago.

If you're ok with paying exorbitant prices, three times or more than the retail price, then it's not my problem. Really. For me, it's just problematic behaviour. I would never sell an item on Ebay, I prefer to lose money than do that.

We all have sold items at a considerable loss. And believe me, the member that gets the item shows his appreciation to the seller one way or another.

You compare two different things. It's not the same. I respect your opinion, but that doesn't mean that I agree with you.

48 1,877
 11-25-2016, 06:07 PM
User Info
(11-25-2016, 05:41 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(11-25-2016, 04:40 PM)Never2Close Wrote: I am happy you were the recipient of another member's generosity, but selling an item at the market is fine too.  I don't recall anyone stepping up and making a fellow whole when trying to sell a less desirable  item at a considerable loss.

Yes, it's fine, if you're not trying to take advantage of other members' desire to try an item. Again, this is a hobby. I think we had this discussion a few days ago.

If you're ok with paying exorbitant prices, three times or more than the retail price, then it's not my problem. Really. For me, it's just problematic behaviour. I would never sell an item on Ebay, I prefer to lose money than do that.

We all have sold items at a considerable loss. And believe me, the member that gets the item shows his appreciation to the seller one way or another.

You compare two different things. It's not the same. I respect your opinion, but that doesn't mean that I agree with you.

Nick, I appreciate your civility.  My point was that individuals do not set prices in a free secondary market.  Again, I am happy that you found a kind member to help you out.

6 150
 11-25-2016, 06:38 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(11-25-2016, 06:07 PM)Never2Close Wrote:
(11-25-2016, 05:41 PM)nikos.a Wrote:

Nick, I appreciate your civility.  My point was that individuals do not set prices in a free secondary market.  Again, I am happy that you found a kind member to help you out.
Thanks. We just have a different approach on this matter. I didn't mean to offend you. We have already discussed that a few days ago. There is a also thread regarding this matter.

48 1,877
 11-25-2016, 06:47 PM
User Info
(11-25-2016, 06:38 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(11-25-2016, 06:07 PM)Never2Close Wrote:
(11-25-2016, 05:41 PM)nikos.a Wrote: Yes, it's fine, if you're not trying to take advantage of other members' desire to try an item. Again, this is a hobby. I think we had this discussion a few days ago.

Thanks. We just have a different approach on this matter. I didn't mean to offend you. We have already discussed that a few days ago. There is a also thread regarding this matter.
No offense taken.  We approach the topic from different perspectives.  Be well.  And it is a beautiful razor.

6 150
 11-26-2016, 06:32 AM
User Info
Congrats, it's a beauty!!!

1 64
 11-26-2016, 03:24 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I tried my new razor for the first time earlier today.

Here is the set-up I chose:

Semogue OC 2Band
Dapper Dragon Blood Orange
LASSC BBS-1
Feather
Shea Moisture Shave Tea Tree After Shave
Aqua Velva

I chose the Feather blade because many users recommend it with this razor. I generally don't prefer it, but I have a few of them just in case I want to try them again. They make a nice pair, indeed. It was like using this blade for the first time too, I had a smooth shave without any irritation on my neck. This was my main problem with these blades.

I would like to mention that my experience with stainless steel DE razors is very limited, so I can't compare it to others. Also, I'm mainly a SE user. Lately, I used my Gillette Aristocrat a few times and found it very mild. This razor, the BBS-1, was a totally different experience for me. It feels great in my hand, I really like the length of the handle and the total weight. It's not a light razor. I am very impressed with its quality. I understood first hand all these great reviews I had read until yesterday. James does a great job, makes some very nice shaving tools and deserves the excellent reputation he has in our hobby.

My first shave was very good. The result was a very close shave. The razor differs a lot from the other DE razors I've tried so far. I enjoyed my first shave and I'm very glad that I am finally able to have such a fine razor in my collection.

48 1,877
 11-26-2016, 03:28 PM
User Info
Congrats! Great to hear you had an enjoyable first shave with it. I as well like a heavier style DE razor.

2 145
 11-27-2016, 01:57 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(11-26-2016, 03:28 PM)Spudnut Wrote: Congrats! Great to hear you had an enjoyable first shave with it. I as well like a heavier style DE razor.

Thank you, Ron!

48 1,877
 11-27-2016, 08:52 PM
User Info
Congrats Nick! When I unpacked my Wolfman, I realized it's the closest thing I own to jewelry. They are special. Enjoy!

Alex

10 872
 11-28-2016, 04:53 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Congrats Nick! The BBS-1 remains my #1 DE. Enjoy it Biggrin!

34 1,627
 11-28-2016, 08:56 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Thank you, Alex and Giorgio!

I had my second shave today and I think I'm in love with this razor. If the Asylum Rx is the last SE addition to my den, then this one is the last DE. Both are wonderful razors, with unique design and give me some very close and smooth shaves. I'm very satisfied.

48 1,877
 11-28-2016, 09:17 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • Dixieland
User Info
Gorgeous Razor with an awesome story to match Thumbsup

6 222
 11-28-2016, 03:30 PM
User Info
Wow!- Are these a limited run and are now "vintage"?

0 3