11-25-2016, 12:49 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
We've all seen the 'top 3, top 5' threads until we're sick of them, but I'd like to ask a different and perhaps more interesting (to soap nerds) question.

What soaps and creams could you use daily without tiring of them, including both performance and fragrance?

I'll start off and in no particular order.

Castle Forbes lavender and lime
Boellis Panama
ABC hard and soft
SdM regular and unscented
Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge
Truefitt and Hill UC
MdC fougere
ABC Colonia version
I Coloniali mango soap (the most strongly scented I'd put in this category)
Pre de Provence regular (the mildest except maybe for SdM unscented)

What I've found is my preferences for fragrance lean to either the simple (lavender, citrus, rose, almond) or classic (colonia, fougeres, I Coloniali is not either), and almost none of them are strongly scented. My preferences for performance lean toward the top!

Cheers, Steve

7 466
 11-25-2016, 12:56 PM
User Info
Yours is a strong list and hard to disagree with; most classics among them collectively.

19 775
 11-25-2016, 01:13 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Mike's Rose and Cedarwood
L&L Marshlands
MW Sandalwood Rose
Tabac
Sir Irisch Mooss
P160 Tipo Morbido
Nuavia Verde

111 1,406
 11-25-2016, 01:25 PM
User Info
I used Klar Kabinett daily for 2 years and have gone through a ton of Arko sticks over the last 7 years.  As much as I liked both of them at the beginning, I could not stomach using either for a long time following the extended usage.

There are no soaps that I would not get tired of using daily for the long term.

18 586
 11-25-2016, 01:33 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
That is a useful post Dale!

Cheers, Steve

7 466
 11-25-2016, 01:42 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I would get tired of any soap quickly, as a big part of my enjoyment of shaving is the wide array of hardware and software. I really enjoy changing it up. It has nothing to do with the soap--I just like variety.

60 843
 11-25-2016, 01:50 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(11-25-2016, 01:42 PM)greyhawk Wrote: I would get tired of any soap quickly, as a big part of my enjoyment of shaving is the wide array of hardware and software. I really enjoy changing it up. It has nothing to do with the soap--I just like variety.

+1...exactly my feelings. I stuck to the same soaps for many years, and for the past 5 years or so it has always been about variety Biggrin

34 1,628
 11-25-2016, 02:13 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I understand - believe me - my bank acount does, the desire to try new soaps. But this is different from the question about 'What could you live with every day?'

I do understand the answer may be 'nothing'.

Cheers, Steve

7 466
 11-25-2016, 02:33 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Hmmm...tough to imagine but I'll give it a try...

MdC - Original and Fougere
SMN v3
AdP cream
C&S - O&C
MW- Jeff's Lavender 
Atkinson Gentleman's Shaving cream
SV- Dolomiti, Felce Aromatica, 70th Anniversary

I'm sure there are a few others in my den that I'm missing that would fall into this category.  I definitely have to avoid very particular scents as I find I need to be in the mood for those--that scratches off I Coloniali, all the Nuavia soaps, all the super woodsy/vetiver/dark soaps that I love to visit about once or twice a week.  Lavender is the exception as I am a huge fan of "good" versions and can easily use those everyday  Biggrin

34 1,628
 11-25-2016, 02:36 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
Castle Forbes creams 
D.R. Harris Marlborough 
....that's it

17 403
 11-25-2016, 02:40 PM
User Info
I think that if you have to use just one soap it would eventually get tiring, no matter how good it is, at least in my case.  Having a few to rotate around would be nice and OP's list is hard to disagree with.  My aim is to have about 12-15 of my favorite soaps (which will always be restocked) that I rotate plus a couple of spots for soaps that comes and goes, new stuff I want to try.  Some favorites included I Coloniali, C&S 88, SV, Proraso.

16 457
 11-25-2016, 02:51 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(11-25-2016, 02:40 PM)CanuckShaver Wrote: I think that if you have to use just one soap it would eventually get tiring, no matter how good it is, at least in my case.  Having a few to rotate around would be nice and OP's list is hard to disagree with.  My aim is to have about 12-15 of my favorite soaps (which will always be restocked) that I rotate plus a couple of spots for soaps that comes and goes, new stuff I want to try.  Some favorites included I Coloniali, C&S 88, SV, Proraso.

I think for a number of us that made the mental switch from "shaving" to "hobby," it would be quite difficult to use the same soap every day (I know a lot of people do and I envy them Biggrin ).  Before this was a hobby, I used Proraso exclusively for a number of years, followed by Tabac for a number of years--and thought nothing of it, it was "normal"...afterall I was just shaving.  While I was using a DE at that time and a brush (pure badger), I just thought of it as an alternative to carts and goo...that was the extent.  Now if I can use a soap for more than 3 days in a row, its practically a miracle  Blush . 

But I get the point of the thread -- its an interesting question, especially for those of us that do indeed love variety because it certainly made me think about it  Biggrin

34 1,628
 11-25-2016, 03:09 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Good info gentlemen, thank you!

Cheers, Steve

7 466
 11-25-2016, 03:17 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Soap: Nuavia Rosso or Blu
Cream: Wm Neumann 1907, Heartwood, 1911 or Absolute Zero

5 316
 11-25-2016, 03:19 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
C&E Sweet Almond Oil soap
AoS tallow unscented or lemon

57 2,546
 11-25-2016, 03:21 PM
User Info
(11-25-2016, 12:49 PM)Steve56 Wrote: What soaps and creams could you use daily without tiring of them, including both performance and fragrance?

I have been asking myself this question a lot as of late. The more I try, the more confused I seem to get. I am beginning to think that just using MWF all the time because the scent is so light, but the post shave is the best to me. Then just get a variety of Penhaligons to use afterwards.

2 144
 11-25-2016, 03:25 PM
User Info
Xpec. Adp. Or abc. All creams Smile

0 94
 11-25-2016, 03:31 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Soaps that don't have overpowering scents. For example, I could never use my Nuavia soaps daily, but I could use a SdV or an LPL soap.

49 1,939
 11-25-2016, 03:33 PM
User Info
Stirling Piacenza. Performance is too notch and a perfect scent, IMO.

1 83
 11-25-2016, 03:51 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
From reading the above comments, I think we're mostly spoiled. When I started shaving in 1962, there was very little choice in soaps, especially choice of scents. I used Old Spice, Mennen's cream, and Williams for nearly 50 years before I discovered the forums. One didn't even think about tiring of a certain scent, as you pretty much took what was available at your local market or pharmacy. Now it's a different story, and I've probably tried a couple hundred soaps over the past four years or so. Although I now do rotate among various scents, I keep coming back to a smaller number of products that I use 80% of the time:

Mike's Natural Soaps--the first artisan soap tried, and still my favorite. I just wish his scents were as good as Mystic Waters.
Mystic Waters--not as slick as I'd like, but the scents and post-shave feel are fantastic. 
Czech & Speake--I love both scents, and the performance is as good as anything else that I've tried. 
Klar Seifen--a terrific soap with a clean, pleasant scent
La Savonnière du Moulin--probably my best performing soap, although I only use it weekly to not tire of the scent. 
Sapone Di Paolo, newest formulation--very easy to lather, terrific scents, and great face post-shave feel, with the best balm available. 

I do enjoy many other fine products 20 - 30% of the time. Although I glad that there are now many choices available, there are so many quality products that there just isn't time to use all of them on a regular basis, but that isn't such a bad predicament to be in. Happy shaving gents.

38 5,031