03-09-2012, 09:22 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
All this week I have been using a new soap from Mike's Natural Soaps. They came onto my radar because of a review over at B&B, and I was intrigued by the ingredients, and others' experiences.

MNS is a tallow based soap, which also contains vegetable glycerin and lanolin. The lanolin caught my eye, because I had just been sampling Mitchell's Wool Fat, and was planning to buy a puck. Then along comes this new soap, for less money for a heavier puck, and with scents!
When Mike announced a new scent, Orange/Cedarwood/Black Pepper, my mind was made up. I took delivery on Tuesday.

This is a very nice soap.

Lather: Lathering with it is a bit fiddly, not unlike MWF. Since I'm still pretty new to all this, my lather was not 100% reliable, but even when it was less than its full glory, it was slick and pleasantly fragrant.

Performance: After I shave with it, it leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturized. The blade slides smoothly over my skin. I got a full 3 pass shave with minimal irritation and a BBS result. (This is a major deal for me.)

Scent: The primary scent is a sharp, clean orange. Not overly sweet, like slicing into a good juicy one. It's followed up by spicy and woody undertones from the cedar and pepper. The orange remains the dominant scent, however.

The smell is incredibly intense in the bar. In fact, when I held the bar close to my face, it made me sneeze. Once lathered, I was left with a pleasantly scented orange lather than hovered around my head as I shaved without being overpowering. My wife said she could smell it on my skin for about an hour after I shaved.

Summary: I adore this soap. It has the slickness and skin moisturizing properties I loved in my MWF sample, and a wonderful scent. I see more Mike's soaps in my future.

10 1,858
 03-09-2012, 10:31 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Interesting.It seems that a couple artisans have came up with new tallow based shaving soaps.This one even contains lanolin for what youre telling us.I have tried the Prairie Creations with tallow and lanolin and it was a really good soap.A nice member here have sent me a sample of the Mystic Water (tallow based and lanolin soap) which Im curious to try.
Thanks for your impressions about this soap.

86 7,123
 03-09-2012, 11:04 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I have read the reviews of Mystic Water with some interest, but haven't tried it yet. Hadn't heard of Prairie Creations, though. *goes off to Google*

10 1,858
 03-09-2012, 11:19 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
You're review won me over. I'm a big fan of fat based soaps, and have had my eye on Mike's. I went ahead and got a bar in the same scent!

35 1,732
 03-10-2012, 07:03 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I think I will have to give both this and Mystic Water a try in the near future. Thank you for the nice review.

45 16,299
 03-10-2012, 10:30 AM
User Info
Phil -

You really should give Mike's a shot. It is an excellent soap.

It was my review over on B&B that Eric referred to, so my take on these soaps is on record. I was really happy with it. I like it a bit more than my PC soaps. That could be due to the 'new broom' effect.

However, any way you cut it, this is an excellent soap, and is well worth trying out. Best of all, the prices are reasonable, and the shipping costs are reasonable too.

37 1,731
 03-10-2012, 02:48 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I was very impressed by the review that I bought 3 sample pucks. How bad can they if they are made in Brooklyn,NYWink

100 12,439
 03-10-2012, 03:47 PM
User Info
All these favorable comments and I now have an order for the sample soaps except for the unscented. Will post my impressions in the days ahead.

29 1,731
 03-12-2012, 04:56 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
After a few more days of experimentation, I have found that this soap responds best to the "Marco Method," at least for me.

10 1,858