11-25-2016, 07:22 PM
User Info
[Image: qMfE6Jk.jpg]

Alright so I got a wonderful haul today and we shall see how these new brushes measure up, break in and how this lather comes out on the new SV soap.

Have fun and hang on tight!  Badger

Declaration Brushworks right out of the box measure at...
Washington-24.8mm/50.5mm
Jefferson-27.1mm/49.8mm

Here is a couple overhead shots....first is the Washington.

[Image: 5rEYbgo.jpg]

Second is the Jefferson...

[Image: CcFgbt0.jpg]

82 1,375
 11-25-2016, 07:40 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I haven't received my SV soap yet, and am eager to hear your impressions. The knots looks terrific. The brushes sold much faster than I was able to respond. Congratulations.

38 5,201
 11-25-2016, 07:45 PM
User Info
(11-25-2016, 07:40 PM)evnpar Wrote: I haven't received my SV soap yet, and am eager to hear your impressions. The knots looks terrific. The brushes sold much faster than I was able to respond. Congratulations.

Thank you! I am not sure how I will like these brushes. I am moving away from gel tip brushes and 2 bands. Not much of a user of anything bigger than 24-25mm brushes. I do have a couple 26mm but I also don't use many dense brushes. I am thankful to try American made brushes. 

But as I am soaking these now, the Stella Alpina may have a reminiscent smell of the TSN Flying Mango SV soap. I say that because I get a soft and balsamic smell. It smells light and clean, fresh also.

Here is our lineup for tonight!

[Image: JynP956.jpg]

Soaked tips before lathering....

Washington wet tips....

[Image: 5wxcZIt.jpg][Image: 4BJIz7B.jpg]

A couple more. Another soak and then a good shake.

[Image: ZDMfOo6.jpg]
[Image: HWeDt7W.jpg]

Jefferson wet tips..

[Image: gRJWctZ.jpg][Image: lf1zq5c.jpg]

A couple more. Another soak and then a good shake.

[Image: rcSHAlC.jpg]
[Image: h0ekRTO.jpg]

We're about to load the brushes! I wanna smell this soap. I did pour a bit of water on the soap as SV recommends this for their soaps.

82 1,375
 11-25-2016, 08:03 PM
User Info
Good haul!! Congrats !!
Always like to read about new brushes.

The scent is very subjective thing. To me it's not even close to flying mango. However , it's clean, fresh and potent . Much much better than flying mango scent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 11-25-2016, 08:21 PM
User Info
(11-25-2016, 08:03 PM)Cricket203 Wrote: Good haul!! Congrats !!
Always like to read about new brushes.
The scent is very subjective thing. To me it's not even close to flying mango. However , it's clean, fresh and potent . Much much better than flying mango scent

Thanks Cricket. The scent is not exactly like Flying Mango but it has a similar side to it. But I have grown to like FM more as I used it. It is a bit odd but it is also unique. This is fresher than Dolomiti.

So I am almost done loading the Washington. It has lost about 7 hairs. A few of these are very long badger hairs. Like super long. Over 75mm on my calipers.

Stella Alpina softened and ready to be loaded.
[Image: Bt9GjAu.jpg]

Washington after loading...

[Image: HYMTbNr.jpg]

Washington after first lathering....

[Image: kZt3pKw.jpg]

First pics of bloom after a good rinse and shake.

[Image: 9MeLnOb.jpg][Image: xg4iRAM.jpg]

Now onto the Jefferson...

After loading....

[Image: CO5Emo7.jpg]
[Image: 3HLJo87.jpg]

Palm lathered...

[Image: BcLEkr0.jpg]

Jefferson bloom after first lathering, rinse and shaking....

[Image: bK7Zy6T.jpg]
[Image: IdEUCkD.jpg]

82 1,375
 11-25-2016, 10:05 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Impressive looking brushes. 

Is this a softer soap than the others, or is it just the way it appears in the photo after blooming?

38 5,201
 11-25-2016, 10:10 PM
User Info
So as usual in the past, the first couple lathers on a new puck of SV aren't always the best. I have found the require a bit of breaking in on the top layer to lather better and easier. But if that was not the case, the Jefferson was loading much faster and the photo lather was very creamy. Palm lathering proved to be a bit of work for both brushes and I may decide to pause on using them in a shave and continue to break them in a bit more by palm lathering a drying. These seem very tight and stiff so I want to have my first shave with them when they visually and by feel have bloomed and loosened up. Not too much hair was lost during the lathering on the Jefferson compared to the Washington. One unique thing that I may enjoy about the Washington is it is a bit oblong on the diameter and shows as the bloom is oval shaped. 

I think the new SV is a nice, pleasant scent and that it will lather pretty easily into a stable consistency. Seems like it will take a moderate amount of water for what SV has released.

(11-25-2016, 10:05 PM)evnpar Wrote: Impressive looking brushes. 

Is this a softer soap than the others, or is it just the way it appears in the photo after blooming?

When I pressed the soap into the corners so it was sealed, I did feel like it was softer than the other SV pucks.

82 1,375
 11-25-2016, 10:14 PM
User Info
Honest to God, I thought the soap dish contained a set of dentures.... Brush looks lovely, can't wait to wet mine.

160 1,040
 11-26-2016, 10:21 AM
User Info
You had a great mail day.

I'm definitely interested in reading about these brushes.  All American made is huge for me.  And while I normally prefer bulb knots, your Jefferson looks very nice.  Thanks for the detailed write-up and all the pictures.

51 6,454
 12-02-2016, 11:49 AM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
Very Very nice my friend!  Awesome!

129 320
 12-02-2016, 01:04 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I hate pictures.  When I see pictures I start to shake, get weak in the knees, and start reaching for my empty wallet.

Very nice.  Thumbup

179 23,946
 12-02-2016, 02:43 PM
User Info
Very nice lather Zach, always like SV soap and those brushes are really nice. Good stuff and thanks for sharing.

63 1,597
 12-08-2016, 10:30 PM
User Info
The Declaration knots really look great, how is the weight on those handles?

6 102