11-26-2016, 05:20 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
FatBoys never did have the greatest plating, but this one I scored today doesn't look too bad to the naked eye. And for $15US, who's complaining? Walk into a junk shop: it's sitting there winking at me. Wink

One thing though (calling on anatomical experts here): a little before it gets to the half twist, the mechanism it kinda sticks slightly, then 'pops' through, and all is well. Winding upside down, the problem doesn't exist. There is no gunk blocking it. Tried everything to fix it. It's not a biggie, but I figure it may be the spring inside or something. Without taking it apart, I am not sure that little issue will ever just right itself, although I am curious to know what is causing it. Clues??

Anyway, here it is:

[Image: LyDAu2A.jpg]
[Image: gOVkz9v.jpg]

0 1,762
 11-26-2016, 06:11 AM
User Info
Did you try oiling it?  If all else fails, you might want to send it to Razor Emporium and have them look at it.  They do an amazing job at restoring and tuning up vintage safety razors.

0 31
 11-26-2016, 07:13 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(11-26-2016, 06:11 AM)Badgerstate Wrote: Did you try oiling it?  If all else fails, you might want to send it to Razor Emporium and have them look at it.  They do an amazing job at restoring and tuning up vintage safety razors.

Oh yes, all oiled and greased, so to speak

Being in Sydney, Australia, the postal costs to and From the USA are exorbitant. I never buy off eBay from the USA, for example, for that very reason, but thank you for the suggestion Smile

0 1,762
 11-26-2016, 09:53 AM
User Info
Did you soak it in dish soap and warm water for a couple hours after getting it? It just might have the slightest build up inside that you have no idea is there...

Nice find btw...

3 78
 11-26-2016, 10:38 AM
User Info
Great score.  I would also soak it in hot water and soap to see if that helped.

50 6,057
 11-26-2016, 02:26 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Yes, as indicated, all soaked, cleaned, scrubbed, everything. All the usual stuff. This is a mechanical (hardware) problem. But, like I say, it's no biggie.

0 1,762
 12-01-2016, 06:54 PM
User Info
The tab on one of the doors may be catching on the edge of the safety bar. Watch both ends very carefully when you close it to see if this is happening.  There should be a small gap as the tab passes by. If there is contact this can be fixed with a flat head screw driver. Wrap it in tape so it doesn't mar the finish.  Insert behind the safety bar and gently pull out. Use a soft touch and only do a little at a time, checking to see when it is fixed. You don't want to overdo it. Check for even blade gap as well, since this may affect the blade gap. Doing this resolved this for a Slim I recently found and at the same time I made the gap more even.

0 10
 12-01-2016, 11:40 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(12-01-2016, 06:54 PM)Chumango Wrote: The tab on one of the doors may be catching on the edge of the safety bar. Watch both ends very carefully when you close it to see if this is happening.  There should be a small gap as the tab passes by. If there is contact this can be fixed with a flat head screw driver. Wrap it in tape so it doesn't mar the finish.  Insert behind the safety bar and gently pull out. Use a soft touch and only do a little at a time, checking to see when it is fixed. You don't want to overdo it. Check for even blade gap as well, since this may affect the blade gap. Doing this resolved this for a Slim I recently found and at the same time I made the gap more even.

It's very good advice, thank you so much.

0 1,762