08-09-2012, 01:33 PM
User Info
Nookers (or is that "Nookies"?),

Just today the mailman brought a German made slant with a maker's mark on which I could find virtually no information. Prior to receiving it, I researched the brand, Cabiri, and the only info found is that it was manufactured by Johann Emil Kronenburg of Solingen and seems to have been made and sold in the late 20's and 30's. Because of the scarceness of the information, and lack of any talk of such a brand on this or any other English speaking board, I steeled myself to receive a disappointingly shabby hunk of metal. That proved not to be the case. Although I haven't shaved with it yet, it appears to be a very well made tool. In fact, the box in which it arrived is leather and the interior is in shockingly good shape. The razor has multiple signs of wear, though no cracks in the handle, and this leads me to think that perhaps the box is not original. The Bakelite razor blade holders are also pristine as are the wrapped blades inside.

One other thing, is it possible that the wear shown in the pictures below could have happened solely through aging? I ask because it still has the yellow tag you see which seems to me to be exactly the sort of thing that would be lost on a vintage razor many decades ago. Yet there it hangs, mocking my deductive skills.

Has anyone seen one of these before? Know anything about them?

Thanks for looking. Probably won't shave with it until the weekend thus allowing for time to heal in the event of serious user error. Still stinging from my Schick E2 adventure.

5 298
 08-09-2012, 02:25 PM
User Info
There are a lot of slanted razors, specially German ones, that aren't Merkur or Hoffritz.
You may want to take a look at this thread on the German forum Gut Rasiert. You may not understand the language, but you sure can see the photos. You may be surprised with the variety of slants produced in Germany during the XX century.

Your slant seems to be very similar to the Ibsen that appears in some of the photos on that thread (photos taken from the aforementioned thread; all credits to the author):

[Image: 20090502215132029_aykuwygadb.jpg]

[Image: 20090502215241216_ompoywfhvu.jpg]

It could be a rebrand; it could be also that the different brands share the same manufacturer (something that was very common at Solingen at that time).

Nevertheless, nice find! Congratulations! Cool

2 5,527
 08-09-2012, 02:50 PM
User Info
Oversaturn,

Kronenburg did have other brands listed. I will check and see if that was one. Will also look at gut rasiert. In the long ago I had some facility with German, but now it's barely there. Great help. Thanks.

Nope, Rudolf Bauermann made the Ibsen also in Solingen.
http://www.archivingindustry.com/cutlers...makers.htm

5 298
 08-09-2012, 09:59 PM
User Info
Yes, but what I mean is: Ibsen (Bauermann) was traditionally a straight-razor maker, as you can see from that page. And Kronemberg was producing razor-blades and straight-razors, not safety-razors.

So, given the strong similarities between the two, it is natural that both razors shared the same manufacturer - it could be one of the two companies, or, most probably, a third-party company, since both makers were not making safety-razors.

This policy of sharing the production (and rebranding) was very common at the time in the Solingen region, and among Solingen makers. A little bit like the Merkurs and Hofftritzs - both of them are made by Merkur. An Hofftritz, as you probably know, is just a rebranded Merkur.

There are also several other German Solingen brands of safety razors, like Mulcuto, Golf, Sonnal, Apollo, Zwilling, Fasal, Punktal, Dorko, Zwilling... and some of them also shared the production with other manufacturers, at least during certain periods of time.

2 5,527
 08-10-2012, 05:31 AM
User Info
(08-09-2012, 09:59 PM)oversaturn Wrote: Yes, but what I mean is: Ibsen (Bauermann) was traditionally a straight-razor maker, as you can see from that page. And Kronemberg was producing razor-blades and straight-razors, not safety-razors.

So, given the strong similarities between the two, it is natural that both razors shared the same manufacturer - it could be one of the two companies, or, most probably, a third-party company, since both makers were not making safety-razors.

This policy of sharing the production (and rebranding) was very common at the time in the Solingen region, and among Solingen makers. A little bit like the Merkurs and Hofftritzs - both of them are made by Merkur. An Hofftritz, as you probably know, is just a rebranded Merkur.

There are also several other German Solingen brands of safety razors, like Mulcuto, Golf, Sonnal, Apollo, Zwilling, Fasal, Punktal, Dorko, Zwilling... and some of them also shared the production with other manufacturers, at least during certain periods of time.

Emanuel,

Any theories on why the popularity of the slant amongst the German manufacturers and consumers?

5 298
 08-10-2012, 05:35 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Great info and great pictures. I had no idea slants went back that far.

100 12,437
 08-10-2012, 05:48 AM
User Info
I have 3 German Slants, A Fasan 1930's/early '40s, and Ibsen from around the same time (?) and a Pomco (AKA Merkur/ Hoffritz) from the 1950s, so they have been making slants for a while now. The Ibsen and the Fasan have a much greater twist on the blade than the Pomco which seems more like the modern Merkurs?

3 198
 08-10-2012, 06:01 AM
User Info
(08-10-2012, 05:31 AM)oakeshott Wrote: Emanuel,

Any theories on why the popularity of the slant amongst the German manufacturers and consumers?

I have no idea - as I have no idea why Gillette never developed a slant razor, instead of recommending the Gillette "slanted" slide! Tongue

2 5,527
 08-10-2012, 03:44 PM
User Info
Wow, that is a fine looking razor. Let us know how you enjoy the shaves.

75 20,883
 08-11-2012, 06:28 PM
User Info
Still have not shaved with the Slant but spent hours this morning running it through multiple Aluminum Foil/Baking Soda baths and then a good 40 minutes polishing. The only place with some residual tarnish is the knurling and that's mostly on the bottom piece. I don't think this thing has ever been used, but it will be either tonight or tomorrow. Here's the pic after cleanup.

5 298
 08-11-2012, 06:41 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
It came out very nice. Let us know how it shaves and congratulations.

100 12,437
 08-11-2012, 07:00 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
That razor is beautiful and you really brought out the shine in it. I hope the shave is superior for you. Let us know how it goes when you shave with it.

2 11,211
 08-12-2012, 07:03 AM
User Info
(08-11-2012, 07:00 PM)freddy Wrote: That razor is beautiful and you really brought out the shine in it. I hope the shave is superior for you. Let us know how it goes when you shave with it.

Freddy,
Normally, I would have shaved the same evening of the day I'd cleaned up the razor, but it turned out to be a long day with many family activities in the afternoon and evening and by the time there was time, I was too tired to pay close attention. So, this morning, after my coffee and some toast with blueberry lemon jam my fettle was fine and off to the shave den (called "bathroom" by my less civilized family members) to see if I had a dud or a doozy in this German Slant.

After lathering up with the Calani Dubai, I loaded the razor with a Polsilver blade and went to work wtg for the first pass.

First of all, the Cabiri is a chunky broad shouldered beast of a razor. The French razors I own and love put me in mind of a dancer and have a feminine quality. Not so the Cabiri. It's a very substantial razor in both weight and feel. I found, however, that this heaviness had a positive effect in that without even thinking about it, I truly let the weight of the razor do all the work rather than adding pressure. I often make this mistake with my other razors but only caught myself doing this a few times when going agt on the flat planes of my face.

One of the other things I've discovered over the last 200 shaves is that the measure of a razor that works for me is how well it performs in those few square inches around my adam's apple. It is the Belleau Wood of my face; get by that, and the rest is easy. The Cabiri handled that area with aplomb. The first pass I shaved with care, but by the third pass, I was taking short fast strokes almost without thinking. It wasn't as carefree and easy as the Kirby Beard, but it was medium awesome.

The area between lip and nose is my rock and whirlpool, devil and the deep blue see, scylla and charybdis. I've never really gotten what I would consider a great third pass there, but i have gotten damned bloody results. The worst was a series of about a dozen weepers and so my expectations were low. The Cabiri has a big head and so it's hard to maneuver, but its wtg pass is just so effective that I got as good results with this as with anything just by going wtg.

It's been an hour or two since I finished up the shave (alum and then Eau d'Emeraude) and my face feels great. Simply great. A few spots under the chin that could have been handled better, but all in all as good a shave as I get with any of my other razors. Generally try to resist reviews after one shave, but this one was just so good, that the Cabiri just earned a spot in the rotation and the 37c, which has been hanging untouched for months, will be heading out the door.

If this is the sort of shave those vintage Hoffritz's and Merkur's give, then I understand the fuss.

5 298
 08-12-2012, 02:47 PM
User Info
Great to know that the razor works well for you!

Use it in good health!

2 5,527