11-28-2016, 02:11 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
For the Australian vintage shaving soap connoisseur: the "Solyptol" Shaving Soap Stick, pre-WWII (I think). "Solyptol" was a name given to products including soaps manufactured by Faulding in Australia, utlising eucalyptus sourced from Kangaroo Island. There is the faintest ever trace of the 'medicated' still Smile A little history on Fauldings and the development of 'Solyptol":

http://samhs.org.au/Virtual%20Museum/Med...drugs.html

Note the deco-style green bakelite tube with the gilt lettering on the screw cap stick holder. The green soap itself has that characteristic 'laundry soap' smell, indicative to my mind of high tallow content Smile  I have found references to these sticks going back to 1901, but no images. Luckily, the shipper is intact, but I will have to make some repair, including gluing on some invisible cardboard splints. 
Even more luckily: I acquired TWO of these. Smile 

[Image: qpQkOFo.jpg]
[Image: NPYMmNv.jpg]
[Image: iTFQ0bt.jpg]

0 1,774
 11-28-2016, 11:41 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
I was thinking the second stick might to go to the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney.

0 1,774
 11-29-2016, 06:42 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Looks very interesting.

3 2,635
 11-29-2016, 08:35 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(11-29-2016, 06:42 AM)JAYDEE Wrote: Looks very interesting.

Thank you Jaydee, yes. Sometimes I post for historic/archival reasons. Australia is sometimes like the lost continent, although of course it has its own unique culture and history, including a colonial and post-colonial shaving culture. It's important to document.

0 1,774