11-28-2016, 04:24 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I got my Parker Variant razor today.  First impressions were that it's a very solid and well built tool.  Very surprised considering the $57 pricetag.  After using it tonight I'd probably be willing to pay double that if I happened to need to buy another.  I used my Mergress for a few days prior in anticipation of receiving the Variant.  Tonight I loaded up a super iridium and did my normal 3-pass shave.  Very very smooth and irritation free.  I found it to be a fair amount smoother than the Mergress which is surprising as I do love the Mergress.  One thing that did surprise me though was the Variant was not as grippy as I thought it should be on the handle.  A couple times I found myself wiping the handle dry when it became wet or had a little bit of soap on it.  The TTO knob had plenty of grip though for making adjustments.  Loading a blade is pretty much identical to a Mergress as you have to align the notches on the cap and base.  I shaved my first two passes on a 4 which seemed to be similar to a 2-2.5 on the Mergress.  My last pass I cranked it up to five and it seemed to be in the more mid-aggressive range, closer to how I like the Mergress which I normally set it at 3.  Overall a definite thumbs up.
[Image: vHgqULq.jpg][Image: s2hsAOQ.jpg][Image: 9teCQ0h.jpg]

44 617
 11-28-2016, 04:28 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review. I have one on the way as well and am looking forward to it as it's been awhile since I've used an adjustable razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

115 1,005
 11-28-2016, 04:33 PM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
(11-28-2016, 04:28 PM)essrbc11 Wrote: Thanks for the review. I have one on the way as well and am looking forward to it as it's been awhile since I've used an adjustable razor.

You're very welcome.  I was a little curious as to how many of us on here bought one.  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts also.  I've been on a SE kick lately as well, (RX, Goose, el jefe).  It was nice kicking back with the Mergress for a few days and now the Variant.

44 617
 11-28-2016, 04:39 PM
User Info
I bought one as well. I think I was perhaps too hesitant on using higher settings on my first use. I'll try putting it at 3 or 4 for my next shave with it.

33 508
 11-28-2016, 04:41 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Progress, Mergress, Digress and now Variant. I cant wait for a Deviant.

2 3,171
 11-28-2016, 06:06 PM
User Info
Got mine out of the mail, unfortanetly to late to shave with.

Fit and finish is nice but I would give the edge to merkur in that category. The marker on the top cap for alignment is more of a scrape than a line which is disappointing.

Anyone else's like that?

115 1,005
 11-29-2016, 02:44 AM
User Info
Received my black Variant yesterday. Top shelf quality control and the finish is flawless. Set at #4 I got a BBS shave using Tabac Original soap and a Parker 20 mm synthetic brush. For $57 this is a steal. 

[Image: Z4tv1kF.jpg]

121 13,119
 11-29-2016, 05:28 AM
User Info
I have a Parker Variant on order as well but it hasn't arrived yet.  Great review!  I do own a Mergress, which I think is an awesome shaver.   Ddk13, I find your review interesting in that it appears to be identical in design to the Mergress/Progress and yet you are finding it more mild.  Would you say that the blade gap doesn't increase as much in the Variant as it does in the Mergress?   In other words, if you look at the blade gap for the Mergress at 3 is it greater than the blade gap of the Variant at 3?   Thanks!

1 87
 11-29-2016, 08:49 PM
User Info
Very interesting - especially as I love my Mergress XL - the only razor I use any more.  It replaced my Progress, which I also loved (save for that buttoxically ugly plastic yellow adjustment knob).  

The Variant looks really nice and as others have noted, very similar to the Progress' head.  Been saving up for another Mergress, but with a $57 price tag, that's definitely tantalizing and I'll probably get one - unless Merkur gets their act together and comes up with an all SS version of the Progress first (I'll never buy another Progress because of that silly knob).  

Thanks - though I note they're currently out of stock in both models - hoping demand won't drive up the price Sad

0 377
 12-16-2016, 12:42 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
SSR have now replenished stock on both models.  Still $57.

4 194
 12-16-2016, 01:03 PM
User Info
I prefer the Mergress, personally. However, the Variant is nice for its price.

33 508
 12-17-2016, 04:22 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Getting the Variant sounds like a win-win situation.  I can hardly wait.

1 795
 12-20-2016, 11:36 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
THIS is an amazing razor...very well built...a true bargain...and shaves extremely easily....top notch...got to hand it to Parker...they nailed this one....only real issue is why they didn,t have this 5 years ago...could have saved a lot of money and space....got the black/silver and best I can say is WOW and THANK YOU Parker razors. Shy

6 2,023
 12-20-2016, 03:03 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
Great news.  Enjoy.  Mine is in transit.

1 795
 12-24-2016, 07:05 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
I am really loving this razor. 4th shave on a Polsilver SI on a setting of 3 and I'm as close to BBS as I ever venture in 2 passes + touch up. I'll never be a 1 razor guy, but I could live with this as my only adjustable. Maybe my only DE.

4 194
 12-24-2016, 07:28 PM
User Info
Wow, I can't believe I'm reading all these great reviews about the Parker. I had a feeling it was going to be good, but not this good. I can't wait to get my hands on one!

11 1,169
 12-25-2016, 04:41 PM
User Info
Another fan of this razor AND the stock blade.

21 272
 12-25-2016, 05:55 PM
User Info
Who has the best price on these?

27 278
 12-25-2016, 06:20 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
(12-25-2016, 05:55 PM)Stubble Daddy Wrote: Who has the best price on these?

Supersafetyrazors.com  are the sole vendor at $57 each.  If you like the Progress or Mergress, this is an excellent addition.

1 795
 12-26-2016, 01:44 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
I have been using the Variant for over a week now and find that this is an excellent tool.  In terms of various measurements, the Variant is exactly the same as my long-handled Mergress, except that the Mergress is less than a quarter inch longer in length; this is clearly accounted for by the size of the Mergress replacement knob.  As far as the dimensions of the headpiece, they are identical - 42mm x 25mm x 11.5mm.

The Variant shaves exactly like you would expect - like a Progress/Mergress.  In essence the Variant is a newly designed Progress and shaves accordingly.  I am not certain why this adjustable has not caught fire in view of the fact that the Mergress seems to usually command a reasonable amount of interest.  The Variant seems to be built well built with a more solid feel to it in comparison to the Mergress, which is odd since the Mergress weights one gram more [111 grams vs 110 grams].  They are both wonderful variations on the Progress.

[Image: jQ1urHI.jpg]         [Image: ASRFKFt.jpg]

1 795