11-29-2016, 02:24 AM
User Info
Hello Gents, time for me to go for another brush acquisition.

At present I have a Thater 3-band, Shavemac 2-band PK -47 as my top 2 brushes followed by Jack Black Synthetic Fibre and a Vie Long Horse hair brush and a proraso boar.

I like the feel of Shavemac on my face. It's a brush with good backbone and is compact in size too. I bought it from a respect worthy gentleman on the nook.

This Sunday night I was surfing thru one of the websites and bumped into Thater & Simpson brushes.

I have to make a decision between Thater 2-band 4125/3 and Simpson Chubby 3.

I am not sure about the properties of a Chubby 3 wrt what I am seeking for(Backbone, feel on face, splay of the brush and hair quality). I heard of them to be legendary brushes though.

Also, on Thater, I am little apprehensive if it does not turn up to my liking or in the same  league as my Shavemac.

The present Thater that I own has a big splay and covers almost my entire beard area while lathering. I need a little smaller brush but with a dense knot.

Please help me select one of these two. Is Thater the right size? Or should I got for a Simpson this time? What are the pros and cons of each of these brushes in your experience?

Your inputs shall be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 715
 11-29-2016, 07:07 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
If you like a very dense brush with lots of backbone, the Chubby 3 with a super knot is the one for you.  I'm not a fan of the Chubby line, best and super, because of their density, backbone and small handles, so I'd opt for the Thater 2-band.

5 885
 11-29-2016, 07:23 AM
User Info
A Chubby 3 Super is a massively dense brush, so unless you are accustomed to lathering with these types of knots, you may have a difficult time getting enough soap loaded on your brush, then getting it to come out of the knot. With this brush, you will use up quite a bit of soap and time to get the lather you are used to, at the moment.
A Chubby 3 Best is less dense and has less backbone than the one in Super.
Having said this, these brushes are excellent once you acclimate yourself to them.

I am not sure which Thater you have now, but it sounds like it is a Fan knot if you are complaining about it overly splaying.
The Thater Bulbs don't have as much splay as the Fans, so the 4125/3 2-Band Bulb would be a good consideration. The only negative aspect, for you, would be the lack of backbone from this brush. I am not sure how much backbone you prefer, but Thaters are not renowned for their strong backbone and this brush won't have it. It has moderate backbone with extremely soft tips.

If you have to choose one of these brushes, I would, possibly, suggest the Chubby 3 Super as it will be very different to what you already have, but it is a very, very large brush and even larger knot,so it may not suit you if you like compact brushes.

It seems like you may be looking for another Shavemac; possibly, one in the Unique Silvertip 2-Band in Bulb, or even a D-01 2-Band in a smaller Fan.

Good luck with your choice. Shy

82 21,056
 11-29-2016, 07:41 AM
User Info
Celestino
My options are limited to a Simpson, Thater or a Shavemac.

Chubby (2,3) or any other 2-band(Thater /Shavemac) is on my radar for now. I prefer bulb to a fan.

Thater that I own is a bulb with 28 mm knot but I don't have a big face so it covers a lot of real estate. That's a massive brush for my face and too soft.

I recently only purchased a unique knot 2 band custom Shavemac (one of ATG forum group buy) and am happy with it.

What would you recommend me now since some more information sharing has happened? Shavemac still?

1 715
 11-29-2016, 09:00 AM
User Info
From what you have shared, I would highly suggest a Simpsons Duke 3 Super (seems like a perfect size for you) or Chubby 2 Super (this is still a very large and dense knot, so it may not work for you). I would, also, highly recommend getting a custom Shavemac D-01 3-Band, or even a Shavemac regular Silvertip (less expensive) as you can customize the handle. This Shavemacs might be better than the Simpsons as the Simpsons' handles are limited in style.

Good luck. Smile

82 21,056
 11-29-2016, 09:47 AM
User Info
(11-29-2016, 09:00 AM)celestino Wrote: From what you have shared, I would highly suggest a Simpsons Duke 3 Super (seems like a perfect size for you) or Chubby 2 Super (this is still a very large and dense knot, so it may not work for you). I would, also, highly recommend getting a custom Shavemac D-01 3-Band, or even a Shavemac regular Silvertip (less expensive) as you can customize the handle. This Shavemacs might be better than the Simpsons as the Simpsons' handles are limited in style.

Good luck. Smile

+1 for a Duke 3.

18 642
 11-29-2016, 09:52 AM
User Info
Why not both?

36 886
 11-29-2016, 11:14 AM
User Info
Shavemac's unique 2-band brushes

24 698
 11-29-2016, 12:19 PM
User Info
Do I understand correctly: "unique" refers to the knots in the Nishy group buy brushes from a few months past, it is not a proper name; extra density compared to standard 2-band silvertip; something you request directly from Bernd and not through Shavemac's Configurator link???

29 1,776
 11-29-2016, 01:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Why not niether? check out Vie Long, Brad Sears or try for a Paladin next sale.

2 3,171
 11-29-2016, 01:35 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(11-29-2016, 09:00 AM)celestino Wrote: From what you have shared, I would highly suggest a Simpsons Duke 3 Super (seems like a perfect size for you) or Chubby 2 Super (this is still a very large and dense knot, so it may not work for you). I would, also, highly recommend getting a custom Shavemac D-01 3-Band, or even a Shavemac regular Silvertip (less expensive) as you can customize the handle. This Shavemacs might be better than the Simpsons as the Simpsons' handles are limited in style.

Good luck. Smile
I agree with Celestino except for his recommendation of Shavemac's regular silvertip.  I found it too floppy and gave it away.  Perhaps if set at a lower than usual loft, it would fit your needs.  But I also was thinking Duke 3 or Chubby 2.  I have them both and would never part with them.  If you were thinking Chubby 3 and decided it was too big, I would probably go with Chubby 2.  Duke 3 knot is 23-24mm and Chubby 2 is about 28mm, so there is a bit of difference.

1 795
 11-29-2016, 01:53 PM
User Info
(11-29-2016, 12:19 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: Do I understand correctly: "unique" refers to the knots in the Nishy group buy brushes from a few months past, it is not a proper name; extra density compared to standard 2-band silvertip; something you request directly from Bernd and not through Shavemac's Configurator link???
Ron, this is correct. I think Bernd will understand if you order a 'unique' knot, now, since he offered them to Nishy's group buy.

(11-29-2016, 01:35 PM)Teddyboy Wrote: I agree with Celestino except for his recommendation of Shavemac's regular silvertip.  I found it too floppy and gave it away.  Perhaps if set at a lower than usual loft, it would fit your needs.  But I also was thinking Duke 3 or Chubby 2.  I have them both and would never part with them.  If you were thinking Chubby 3 and decided it was too big, I would probably go with Chubby 2.  Duke 3 knot is 23-24mm and Chubby 2 is about 28mm, so there is a bit of difference.
Ted, this is correct, regarding the Shavemac Finest. You would need to set it at a lower loft to get a proper amount of backbone. Shy

82 21,056
 11-29-2016, 02:16 PM
User Info
I would have to recommend the Thater brush.

Especially if your a fan of Shavemac.

In my opinion nothing off the shelf can beat a Thater.

82 2,179
 11-29-2016, 02:31 PM
User Info
(11-29-2016, 01:35 PM)Teddyboy Wrote:

Good luck. Smile
I agree with Celestino except for his recommendation of Shavemac's regular silvertip.  I found it too floppy and gave it away.  Perhaps if set at a lower than usual loft, it would fit your needs.  But I also was thinking Duke 3 or Chubby 2.  I have them both and would never part with them.  If you were thinking Chubby 3 and decided it was too big, I would probably go with Chubby 2.  Duke 3 knot is 23-24mm and Chubby 2 is about 28mm, so there is a bit of difference.

I own 2 knots of each of the 4 top bdager hair types from Shavemac. One in bulb and one in fan shape.

Thus also 1 3-band Silvertip bulb and 1 3-band Silvertip fan.
I have them both set at a low loft, and the knot is extra desenly packed in both of them.
They are far away from being floppy. Trust me on this.

Savile Row's are what I would call floppy, this is a Shavemac 3-Band Silvertip knot with a bit too tall loft for my taste.
I have owned 3 24 mm Savile Row and 1 26 mm Savile Row. All were borderline floppy, because lofts are too tall and knots are not densely packed. I sold them all.

24 5,849
 11-29-2016, 02:33 PM
User Info
What Chubby 3 are you considering getting ?

Chubby 3, no matter knot type, are all very different from a Thäter 2-band.

24 5,849
 11-29-2016, 05:22 PM
User Info
(11-29-2016, 01:53 PM)celestino Wrote:
(11-29-2016, 12:19 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: Do I understand correctly: "unique" refers to the knots in the Nishy group buy brushes from a few months past, it is not a proper name; extra density compared to standard 2-band silvertip; something you request directly from Bernd and not through Shavemac's Configurator link???

Ron, this is correct. I think Bernd will understand if you order a 'unique' knot, now, since he offered them to Nishy's group buy.

Thank you, Celestino.

29 1,776
 11-29-2016, 10:16 PM
User Info
(11-29-2016, 02:33 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: What Chubby 3 are you considering getting ?

I have dropped the idea of a Chubby 3 after seeing your comparative pic alongside Shavemac. That's a massive brush and as rightly pointed out by Celestino it's just too much for what I expect. BTW it was a best badger Chubby 3 that I had in my mind.

Chubb 2 or a duke perhaps suit my requirement. Am also contemplating on that custom Shavemac you had posted.

1 715
 11-30-2016, 02:44 AM
User Info
(11-29-2016, 10:16 PM)Jags009 Wrote:
(11-29-2016, 02:33 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: What Chubby 3 are you considering getting ?

I have dropped the idea of a Chubby 3 after seeing your comparative pic alongside Shavemac. That's a massive brush and as rightly pointed out by Celestino it's just too much for what I expect. BTW it was a best badger Chubby 3 that I had in my mind.

Chubb 2 or a duke  perhaps suit my requirement. Am also contemplating on that custom Shavemac you had posted.

Nice my comparison photos helped you, my friend.
Seeing is so much better than guessing...... Smile

24 5,849
 11-30-2016, 03:12 AM
User Info

1 715
 11-30-2016, 01:40 PM
User Info
(11-30-2016, 03:12 AM)Jags009 Wrote:

I would say the Chubby 2 but in super. I have the best knot and it's wonderful. I can only imagine that the super cranks it to "11".

(I also love Simpson brushes!)

1 43