11-29-2016, 08:25 PM
User Info
Was cleaning out my parent's house and ran across 3 vintage razors I believe belonged to my grandfather.  One was a Gillette 1904 open comb DE in generally very good condition.  Another was an Enders Speed Razor with original instruction booklet and about 20 boxed blades.  Kinda cheap looking - black plastic handle, fair condition - kind of looks like a precurser to the modern cartridge razors.

But what intrigued me most was an Auto Strop razor with case and two unused blades.  I did some investigating on line and believe it to be a VB2 version of the razor.  The case is in fair to poor condition, quite used, but the razor appears to be in excellent condition and in perfect working order.

I'm sure there are some of you here who know a lot more about this razor than I, but I thought it'd still be interesting to share.  Not sure I'll ever actually shave with it - looks a little scary, frankly.  Smile  But here are some photos:

[Image: 33OOIfo.jpg]
[Image: 6LmuxZv.jpg]

0 402
 11-29-2016, 08:27 PM
User Info
...and a couple more:

[Image: AZEYW0E.jpg]

[Image: P2rxag7.jpg]

0 402
 11-29-2016, 09:43 PM
User Info
Very nice! 
They look a bit scary but are not aggressive and are easy to use. Similar to GEMs and other SEs, IMO. 
Last week I shaved a few times with a VC1. 
Just in case, you know the back level should be pushed down to hold the blade firmly, right? On the last picture it seems to be a little loose. Its always better to double check Wink

ps: would love to see pics of the other two razors.

8 1,210
 11-29-2016, 09:53 PM
User Info
(11-29-2016, 09:43 PM)lloydrm Wrote: Very nice! 
They look a bit scary but are not aggressive and are easy to use. Similar to GEMs and other SEs, IMO. 
Last week I shaved a few times with a VC1. 
Just in case, you know the back level should be pushed down to hold the blade firmly, right? On the last picture it seems to be a little loose. Its always better to double check Wink

Yeah, thanks.  Was tinkering with the mechanisms to figure out how everything worked.  Realized that tab locked the hinged plate down, holding the blade in place.  It's actually quite firm, not loose at all.  All in all, the razor seems to be in excellent, almost near new condition.

I've never used an SE before.  The blades that came with it appear quite sharp, but given their age I'll probably purchase a pack of new SE blades and may, perhaps, take it for a spin.  Polsilver DE fan.  Are there similar SE blades to Polsilver?

0 402
 11-29-2016, 09:57 PM
User Info
I'll clean up the Enders and take some photos of it and the blades.  The 1901's plating has worn off a fair amount but I'll take some photos of it as well.  Thx.

0 402
 11-29-2016, 10:14 PM
User Info
Your Auto-Strop is actually a VC2, circa 1928 - 1935. The VB2 has rollers to guide the strop rather than bars, the side plates on the VB2 are shaped like an inverted "T" and the VB2 handle is heavier.

Feather FHS-10 blades will usually fit the VC2. They can be ordered from Maggard Razors, among others. The VC2 is actually a pretty smooth shaving razor. Give it a try.

--Bob

0 185
 11-29-2016, 10:34 PM
User Info
(11-29-2016, 10:14 PM)spidey9 Wrote: Your Auto-Strop is actually a VC2, circa 1928 - 1935. The VB2 has rollers to guide the strop rather than bars, the side plates on the VB2 are shaped like an inverted "T" and the VB2 handle is heavier.

Feather FHS-10 blades will usually fit the VC2. They can be ordered from Maggard Razors, among others. The VC2 is actually a pretty smooth shaving razor. Give it a try.

--Bob

Thanks Bob - I went on stropper.com and looked through a bunch of the photos to see which one most closely matched what I had, hence the VB2 - same case, blade holder, markings etc. but you could be right - you certainly sound infinitely more knowledgeable about it than I am.  But, the VC2 looks like you can remove the handle?  Mine doesn't apparently do that.

Well thanks though for the info!  Given it's near-new like condition, I'll get some of those blades and try it out one of these days.

0 402
 11-29-2016, 10:40 PM
User Info
For lloyd - pics of the Enders:

[Image: KmWb79K.jpg]

[Image: h73Tdc5.jpg]

[Image: De5xASd.jpg]

[Image: hw8QZOH.jpg]

0 402
 11-30-2016, 08:27 PM
User Info
Very nice. Thank you. 
Today I shave with a canadin vc2. Very nice. 
Enjoy your razors.

8 1,210