11-30-2016, 09:49 AM
User Info
Many folks across various discussion boards debate the relative size, weight, and aggressiveness of the Hone Type 15A series razor.  I have used a Merkur type HD 34C exclusively and for many years.  In that sense, I am not a typical collector of DE razors:  Until recently, I was perfectly happy with just the one razor.  Recently, my 15 year old son started getting a bit fuzzy and so I started looking around for a "cool" (in an attempt to keep him from getting sucked into the $$$ battery powered multi-bladed razor marketing) DE razor as an Xmas gift. I came across Hone razors, out of the UK.  Intrigued by the solid brass type 15, but put off by the price, I bought a Type 15A for my son instead....  and, well, bought one for myself also.  As you can see, the standard Type 15A (85mm handle) is larger overall than the Merkur.  I find it to be a perfect length and well balanced: I do not yearn for the 100mm handle.  In addition, it is not slippery to grasp (something I worried about).  The Type 15A blade alignment is very good, much better precision than the 34C (not a Merkur strong point).  The associated marketing states that the Type 15A is somewhat more aggressive than the brass type 15.  While I cannot speak to that particular comparison, I can tell you that the type 15A is less aggressive than the 34C (Israeli red-box Personna blades, by the way).  Less aggressive but very smooth, reduced chance of getting a weeper or nick, even with more than moderate pressure.  The overall lighter weight of the Type 15A, than the 34C, makes you focus more on how much pressure you are applying while shaving.  Since you are less likely to get bit by this razor, you have more control and have more fun (even around the dreaded base of one's nose).  I like it and have retired by 34C for the time being.  The photos show the relative size of my two razors, and you can see the nice blade edge alignment (and soap residue from two weeks use) of the Type 15A.  To return briefly to my original reason for purchasing this razor, I am hoping that my son will enjoy the Hone (his is silver) and not be too tempted by marketing magic and peer pressure to instead to the bigtime expensive "value-added" razors.
Cheers

[Image: IbancC9.jpg]

[Image: DouldSS.jpg]

0 2
 11-30-2016, 10:12 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
After awhile we all develop mental templates of what  familiar objects looks like. I'm sure it's a nice razor, but it looks like those new stealth navy destroyers. What is the finish? Isit inherently tacky to grip?

2 3,171
 11-30-2016, 10:54 AM
User Info
(11-30-2016, 10:12 AM)kav Wrote: After awhile we all develop mental templates of what  familiar objects looks like. I'm sure it's a nice razor, but it looks like those new stealth navy destroyers. What is the finish? Isit inherently tacky to grip?

LoL, yes, you are probably referring to the new Zumwalt class destroyer...  http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/zumwalt/
the razor should definately be standard issue to the seamen onboard (to the few it has, anyway)!!

To answer your question, the razor has a finely textured surface that is anodized black.  It is not at all tacky or rough in the sense of the 34C, for example.  It feels smooth, but not slippery. More importantly, it is not slippery when wet.  At least not nearly as slippery as a shiny smooth finish tends to be.  My guess would be that it has been given some sort of bead-blasting finish.  It is not a simple 'satin' finish, but has some fine texture to it, reminiscent of orange peel surface maybe, but finer.  The silver-anodized variant looks less 'stealthy', but would still get a Zumwalt award IMHO.  One other thing to note is that I like that the ends of the razor blade is covered in this razor, with no sharp protrusion.  The razor can safely be set down on the narrow end without risking knocking the blade around, or snagging on anything.  Also, the handle is solid aluminum, with the exception of a made-to-fit threaded hole for the head, so no water retention in the handle...  Assembly is shown at the commercial site: http://www.hone-shaving.com/inserting-a-blade.

0 2
 11-30-2016, 11:09 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I was USCG; white, racing stripes and lots of brass brightwork, orange  helicopters that all said 'If you can see me I already saw you'. "To everything there is a season."

2 3,171
 11-30-2016, 11:21 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
[Image: qhMM0xc.jpg]

I have the silver model and even with only one shave with it I can tell this is a well designed razor.  It was very smooth in character, hardly feeling the blade at all, but the result was an effortless close two-pass shave.  I am among the few that actually prefer aluminum to stainless steel as heavy razors are not attractive to me.  I'm not sure I would want to own the milder brass version but I am certainly intrigued by it as well.

144 2,749
 12-01-2016, 04:29 PM
User Info
Great pics gentlemen.
Wooly bugger.. thanks for an awesome review. This is a razor I am probably interested in. Great gift idea for your son, hope he enjoys it.

Would you gents say this razor is effective?
Also if you get a chance to try your son's razor, I would be very interested to know if you find any difference in glide... I've tried a few coated razors and besides the RazoRock Black Mamba I've found all of which to have infertior glide to smooth finished razors with no coating... even the Wolfman, I've found he smooth finish to glide better than than the brushed finish.

I would love to get this razor in brass but I am afraid it's WAY too heavy... shame as it's such a beautiful metal

13 775
 12-02-2016, 08:37 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
[Image: YFaaX6x.jpg]

I used my Hone 15A for the second time this morning, again loaded with the Gillette Goal Stainless blade.  The razor acts very mild, but with a moderate blade feel (I'm not sure if this is a result of the razor's design or a characteristic of this blade) which sounds contradictory but maybe I can explain.  At no time during the shave does the razor feel like it will cut you or even the slightest amount of harshness.  However as I change the angle of the handle I can definitely tell when the blade is in optimal contact with the skin by the feel.  Too shallow or too steep and I feel nothing, but when the angle is just right I can literally feel the whisker getting chopped.  After only two passes (XTG/ATG) I was left with a beautifully close shave and virtually no sting from my Weleda Rasierwasser aftershave.  I still need to try this razor with some different, perhaps more familiar, blades to learn it's true character but as of now this baby is a keeper!

144 2,749
 12-02-2016, 12:40 PM
User Info
Dave, have you tried the brass Hone razor?  I'd be interested in a comparison of blade feel, if you have.  I understand that they changed the head configuration slightly when they went to aluminum, supposedly to make up for the fact that razor is lighter?  That doesn't make any sense to me.  People can always push harder, you know?  

If they had a winning formula in their original head design, I don't think it should've been changed just because the weight of the razor is different.

2 1,456
 12-02-2016, 02:47 PM
User Info
(12-02-2016, 08:37 AM)blzrfn Wrote:
[Image: YFaaX6x.jpg]

I used my Hone 15A for the second time this morning, again loaded with the Gillette Goal Stainless blade.  The razor acts very mild, but with a moderate blade feel (I'm not sure if this is a result of the razor's design or a characteristic of this blade) which sounds contradictory but maybe I can explain.  At no time during the shave does the razor feel like it will cut you or even the slightest amount of harshness.  However as I change the angle of the handle I can definitely tell when the blade is in optimal contact with the skin by the feel.  Too shallow or too steep and I feel nothing, but when the angle is just right I can literally feel the whisker getting chopped.  After only two passes (XTG/ATG) I was left with a beautifully close shave and virtually no sting from my Weleda Rasierwasser aftershave.  I still need to try this razor with some different, perhaps more familiar, blades to learn it's true character but as of now this baby is a keeper!

This is an awesome review Dave and great pic as always!
Sounds like this razor is a winner... smooth and effective, would you say? Can't ask for better.
Just to clarify, this IS the aluminum version, correct?

while the aluminum version might be too light, I can work with it. However brass being too heavy is a deal breaker for me! Wish they would consider a re-design to chop a few grams...

I would definitely try the razor with different blades and maybe ones you know work for you.. enjoy that!

Btw Weleda is great stuff!

13 775
 12-02-2016, 04:02 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(12-02-2016, 12:40 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Dave, have you tried the brass Hone razor?  I'd be interested in a comparison of blade feel, if you have.  I understand that they changed the head configuration slightly when they went to aluminum, supposedly to make up for the fact that razor is lighter?  That doesn't make any sense to me.  People can always push harder, you know?  

If they had a winning formula in their original head design, I don't think it should've been changed just because the weight of the razor is different.

I have not tried the brass version.  I'm not a fan of heavy [stainless] razors, but brass might be just right.  However, with the aluminum version hitting all the right buttons I think I will hold off on ordering the brass for the time being.

(12-02-2016, 02:47 PM)snowman Wrote:
(12-02-2016, 08:37 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I used my Hone 15A for the second time this morning, again loaded with the Gillette Goal Stainless blade.  The razor acts very mild, but with a moderate blade feel (I'm not sure if this is a result of the razor's design or a characteristic of this blade) which sounds contradictory but maybe I can explain.  At no time during the shave does the razor feel like it will cut you or even the slightest amount of harshness.  However as I change the angle of the handle I can definitely tell when the blade is in optimal contact with the skin by the feel.  Too shallow or too steep and I feel nothing, but when the angle is just right I can literally feel the whisker getting chopped.  After only two passes (XTG/ATG) I was left with a beautifully close shave and virtually no sting from my Weleda Rasierwasser aftershave.  I still need to try this razor with some different, perhaps more familiar, blades to learn it's true character but as of now this baby is a keeper!

Sounds like this razor is a winner... smooth and effective, would you say? Can't ask for better.

while the aluminum version might be too light, I can work with it. However brass being too heavy is a deal breaker for me! Wish they would consider a re-design to chop a few grams...

I would definitely try the razor with different blades and maybe ones you know work for you.. enjoy that!

This is indeed the aluminum version, model 15A.  Once I get around to trying some different blades I will update this thread and yes, Weleda makes a great aftershave.

144 2,749
 12-02-2016, 07:36 PM
User Info
(12-02-2016, 04:02 PM)blzrfn Wrote:
(12-02-2016, 12:40 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Dave, have you tried the brass Hone razor?  I'd be interested in a comparison of blade feel, if you have.  I understand that they changed the head configuration slightly when they went to aluminum, supposedly to make up for the fact that razor is lighter?  That doesn't make any sense to me.  People can always push harder, you know?  

I have not tried the brass version.  I'm not a fan of heavy [stainless] razors, but brass might be just right.  However, with the aluminum version hitting all the right buttons I think I will hold off on ordering the brass for the time being.

(12-02-2016, 02:47 PM)snowman Wrote:
(12-02-2016, 08:37 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I used my Hone 15A for the second time this morning, again loaded with the Gillette Goal Stainless blade.  The razor acts very mild, but with a moderate blade feel (I'm not sure if this is a result of the razor's design or a characteristic of this blade) which sounds contradictory but maybe I can explain.  At no time during the shave does the razor feel like it will cut you or even the slightest amount of harshness.  However as I change the angle of the handle I can definitely tell when the blade is in optimal contact with the skin by the feel.  Too shallow or too steep and I feel nothing, but when the angle is just right I can literally feel the whisker getting chopped.  After only two passes (XTG/ATG) I was left with a beautifully close shave and virtually no sting from my Weleda Rasierwasser aftershave.  I still need to try this razor with some different, perhaps more familiar, blades to learn it's true character but as of now this baby is a keeper!

This is indeed the aluminum version, model 15A.  Once I get around to trying some different blades I will update this thread and yes, Weleda makes a great aftershave.
I hate to have to be the one to break it to you, but brass is heavier than stainless steel.

2 1,456
 12-02-2016, 08:03 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(12-02-2016, 07:36 PM)kingfisher Wrote:
(12-02-2016, 04:02 PM)blzrfn Wrote:

(12-02-2016, 02:47 PM)snowman Wrote: This is an awesome review Dave and great pic as always!

I hate to have to be the one to break it to you, but brass is heavier than stainless steel.
I guess I won't be ordering one then.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

144 2,749
 12-14-2016, 12:49 PM
User Info
Anymore up dates on the 15A?

21 272
 12-29-2016, 10:02 AM
User Info
(12-14-2016, 12:49 PM)morecolor Wrote: Anymore up dates on the 15A?

I received one in the silver anodized finish for Christmas and used it for the first time on 12/16.  The first shave was disappointing for me, but I have used it every day since and it is getting better and better.  

It is very light, so shaving with it requires much more pressure than I am used to using.  There is a bit of blade feel, but the shave is pretty mild.  I'd say Hone got it right when they said it was "mild +".  Apparently the shave of the brass version is milder, but obviously it is a much heavier razor.   

Second shave was better than the first, and the third better than the second.  This morning I got a really nice, smooth, comfortable, easy shave from it.  I had to learn it and develop muscle memory for how to maximize its shaving ability, I guess.  I quite like it now.  

I'm a bit worried that it will make it harder for me to get good smooth shaves with all my other razors, now that I have become accustomed to using it, lol.  I hope it doesn't.  For now I'm going to keep using it exclusively for a week or two and see how things go.  

A keeper, I think, at this point.  Hoping to put it into the rotation, as it were.  Hoping that switching from this light aluminum thing to my heavy brass iKon SBS won't mess me up too much. ....

2 1,456
 12-31-2016, 12:19 PM
User Info
I enjoyed reading your review..
Thanks for the update

21 272
 01-01-2017, 08:51 AM
User Info
Thanks for the reviews above.  I have the Hone 15A in black.  Beautiful razor.  I agree, it is light and takes some getting used to.  I haven't quite figured out the right angle to maximize efficiency.  For my usual 2 pass shave it is a bit too mild.  I'll keep working at it.  The design and craftsmanship on the Hone is top notch.

17 1,413
 01-03-2017, 07:13 AM
User Info
(01-01-2017, 08:51 AM)wreck | fish Wrote: Thanks for the reviews above.  I have the Hone 15A in black.  Beautiful razor.  I agree, it is light and takes some getting used to.  I haven't quite figured out the right angle to maximize efficiency.  For my usual 2 pass shave it is a bit too mild.  I'll keep working at it.  The design and craftsmanship on the Hone is top notch.

I figured it out on about the 3rd or 4th shave, and now I don't find it too mild at all.  Shave with it every day for a week and I think you'll see a difference.

2 1,456
 01-03-2017, 10:16 AM
User Info
Awesome.  Thanks for the feedback.  I'll keep at it!

17 1,413