11-30-2016, 01:51 PM
User Info
What do you guys think of this Switchback 400 from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. There is another manufacturer that makes a plated one. Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements states that theirs is solid aluminum and not plated.

There is a video of how to epoxy a knot and it looks super easy. You probably could get more collars and have multiple knots you could screw on and o ff?

The price seems pretty incredible and you can select well known knots to put on it.

What are your thoughts?

7 88
 11-30-2016, 05:22 PM
User Info
I have a Switchback 400. I think mine is plated Something, probably Zamak, but it is not solid aluminum. It has some heft. However the brush handle and knot are wonderful. For me, very shiny and it is essentially a new replica of the famous old aluminum version commanding high prices on the Bay. I have one of those in #3 and also in #4. And, the handle size fills the hand completely. Very easy to hold and make lather with--face or bowl! No small handle there! I bought a spare ring and glued my own Maggard Synthetic knot and I doubt I could find a better working synthetic brush. Some day maybe add a high quality Chinese Badger knot just for giggles! I would like to try a Game Changer or a Tuxedo knot just for the looks! The original synthetic knot and the replacement synthetic Maggard knot I glued myself both work very, very well.  I like both equally the same! This handle is much easier to hold for me than the tiny plastic and acrylic handles out there. The flutes make it so! I have arthritis and have and old grip! IMHO, of course and I have no connection at all with Phoenix Artisans Accoutrements. I saw the brush on ETSY and bought it. I am very satisfied!

0 38
 11-30-2016, 05:26 PM
User Info
Depends on how you feel about PAA...that is a whole can of worms. But my understanding is it is not aluminum. There's higher quality replicas out there (or buy a real one), but they will cost more. Me, I paid $60 for a real one and will refinish it. But I like vintage. Check out BSB brushes. I think there is a new batch ready. But I might be wrong about that.

3 335
 11-30-2016, 05:46 PM
User Info
(11-30-2016, 05:26 PM)NickMach007 Wrote: Depends on how you feel about PAA...that is a whole can of worms. But my understanding is it is not aluminum. There's  higher quality replicas out there (or buy a real one), but they will cost more. Me, I paid $60 for a real one and will refinish it. But I like vintage. Check out BSB brushes. I think there is a new batch ready. But I might be wrong about that.

Have no idea about the controversy with PAA. I am pretty new here. But if there is something I should be wary of, please let me know.

They advertise on their site that they used to use the plated ones, but now these are 100% solid aluminum.

7 88
 11-30-2016, 06:13 PM
User Info
It's an old issue, as far as I know, resolved, but some who have been around awhile probably have made up their minds forever about this vendor. Google it if you are interested in history, but otherwise, don't let it scare you. And I didn't know they are now aluminum. If the price is right, give it a shot.

3 335
 12-03-2016, 10:27 AM
User Info
Yes, I see now aluminum and no knot so you can glue in your own. I would put a Tuxedo knot in the black anodized version and what a brush that would be!

0 38