12-01-2016, 05:40 AM
User Info
I own 4 different GEM razors:  the Bullet; MM Clog Pruf; GEM Junior; and the G Bar.   I get the most wonderful, smooth shaves from the first 3, but every time I use the G Bar I get mauled - an ugly, bloody mess.  Everything that I have read tells me that the G Bar is no more aggressive than the others, and the razor itself is in excellent condition so I don't think it is simply a matter of a bad razor.  Needless to say, given my painful experiences, I pay very close attention to shave angle but that hasn't helped either.  I have never said this about any other razor, but it has gotten to the point where I am ready to give up on the G Bar.  

Has anyone had a similar experience with the G Bar?

4 79
 12-01-2016, 06:25 AM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Thats strange. I found the G Bar mild. Almost impossible to cut myself. I actually got rid of it for that reason, too mild. 

I would examine it very closely, blade loaded and unloaded. You obviously have experience with SEs (more aggressive SEs), so I doubt its you. Look for bent parts, blade gap. etc......If you like the look and feel, try another one. They are cheap enough.

77 1,395
 12-09-2016, 11:02 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I've much the same experience with my G Bar. I think it is harder to balance due to its design. While visually it is sleek and modern compared to the MM line, the G Bar has a slimmer, less deeply textured handle. The taper of the handle seems different as well. Also, the weight of the longer extended foot puts the balance off center. Otoh, the Featherweight, which has essentially the same head as the G Bar, has a more functional grip and may give you a more comfortable shave.

7 2,379
 12-10-2016, 02:44 AM
User Info
(12-09-2016, 11:02 PM)chazt Wrote: I've much the same experience with my G Bar. I think it is harder to balance due to its design. While visually it is sleek and modern compared to the MM line, the G Bar has a slimmer, less deeply textured handle. The taper of the handle seems different as well. Also, the weight of the longer extended foot puts the balance off center. Otoh, the Featherweight, which has essentially the  same head as the G Bar, has a more functional grip and may give you a more comfortable shave.

Interesting thought, Charlie.  I am not too concerned about it because so many other GEM razors work well for me.  It is just so odd to me that I can scoot around my face carefree with pretty much all of the other GEM razors, but the G Bar draws blood even when I shave with maximum care.  Really odd.

4 79
 12-10-2016, 09:19 AM
User Info
Show us a picture with a blade in it, please. It should be a smooth, mild razor, something isn't right.

0 263