08-09-2012, 08:13 PM
User Info
I was PIF'd this brush on another forum, and it is only my second brush. It's a mix of boar and badger, and it was used for a little over a year, so it must be well enough broken-in. It has a really nice lathe-turned handle that people seem to enjoy re-knotting. I may be one of those people, after all. The thing lathers wonderfully, and feels great on my face, with soft tips, although a bit stiff. The thing that gets me is that it seems like it doesn't hold much lather. I'm a face-latherer, and that first lather is wonderful, the second lather is okay, but when I go to lather for my third pass, I almost always have to reload and re-lather. I've tried loading for extended periods of time, and using more cream to start. My only other brush, the famous and world-renowned Tweezerman Confused, can hold a lather for five passes, easily. I'm guessing this has something to do with the knot density? Seems like not many people have this brush, and most who do have re-knotted it with a badger knot. Is there anyone with an original who can offer some insight?

2 362
 08-09-2012, 08:20 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Try soaking for about 10 minutes or so while you shower, then give it a go again.

135 1,947
 08-09-2012, 08:29 PM
User Info
I agree. A good soaking does help. I'm a bowl latherer and I leave mine a bit wetter instead of shaking it out like I do my other brushes. It is definately a different brush. My 404 boared badger is always out in the rack!

1 345
 08-09-2012, 08:32 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Try to soak it more time and also clean it.Yes,clean it.After a year,the brush could have a lot of soap residue.Borax or white vinegar could be useful to clean it right.

86 7,123
 08-09-2012, 08:33 PM
User Info
Thanks for the input. I do soak it in hot water while I'm in the shower, but I usually give it a good shake before I start loading. I'll try it tomorrow with a little more water.

Edit: Sorry Teiste, missed your reply. I'll clean it with Borax tonight, then try it tomorrow morning.

2 362
 08-09-2012, 10:41 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've got one and it is one of my favorite brushes. Like others have said, soak it and don't shake out the water. Just a natural drip will do. I use mine for both soaps and creams, although I do not face lather.

173 23,540
 08-09-2012, 10:52 PM
User Info
(08-09-2012, 08:13 PM)sethleupagus Wrote: The thing that gets me is that it seems like it doesn't hold much lather. I'm a face-latherer, and that first lather is wonderful, the second lather is okay, but when I go to lather for my third pass, I almost always have to reload and re-lather.

I made the same experiences like you with my Grosvenor mixed brush. I think it is due to its "super-glued" knot, there isn't any much space left for holding much lather for several passes. 2 passes and then the brush is empty. Maybe it's better for bowl lathering, I don't know because I'm face lathering only.

0 112
 08-09-2012, 10:56 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Here's mine loaded up with some MWF.

173 23,540
 08-09-2012, 11:07 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
After you have cleaned the brush,make lather with it like 3 or 4 times,and it would be ready again.

86 7,123
 08-10-2012, 06:03 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I like the handle so much that I had Mark make a limited run of them with a two band badger knot. The Simfix LE was a wonderful brush.

45 16,346
 08-10-2012, 06:22 AM
User Info
I gave it a Borax soak last night, rinsed it out, and lathered it a few times. Lathered it once again this morning and left it to soak while I showered. I didn't shake it out at all before I started lathering my soap (today, Mike's Natural lime), and loaded a good bit longer than usual. One thing I noticed was that about halfway into the lathering process, I had globs of overly wet lather falling into the sink. I didn't have to dip the tips into the sink or load any more; I seemed to have just the right proportions in the brush already, which is nice. Best of all, there was enough lather for three passes, with just a little to spare, in the bristles. It takes a little more effort, but for the feel of this brush I think it's worth it for now. Thanks for the input, gents. I may still re-knot in the future, but for now it's working for me.

2 362
 08-10-2012, 07:43 AM
User Info
Glad it's working better for you.

1 345
 08-10-2012, 10:06 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-10-2012, 06:03 AM)bullgoose Wrote: I like the handle so much that I had Mark make a limited run of them with a two band badger knot. The Simfix LE was a wonderful brush.

It truly was,Phil!

(08-10-2012, 06:22 AM)sethleupagus Wrote: I gave it a Borax soak last night, rinsed it out, and lathered it a few times. Lathered it once again this morning and left it to soak while I showered. I didn't shake it out at all before I started lathering my soap (today, Mike's Natural lime), and loaded a good bit longer than usual. One thing I noticed was that about halfway into the lathering process, I had globs of overly wet lather falling into the sink. I didn't have to dip the tips into the sink or load any more; I seemed to have just the right proportions in the brush already, which is nice. Best of all, there was enough lather for three passes, with just a little to spare, in the bristles. It takes a little more effort, but for the feel of this brush I think it's worth it for now. Thanks for the input, gents. I may still re-knot in the future, but for now it's working for me.

Good to know that is working better!

86 7,123