12-01-2016, 11:07 AM
User Info
I have been reading old posts on synthetics and it seems like the technology keeps advancing so I thought I would ask at this current time, what people thought were the best ones as of 2016.

I ordered a Shavemac (yes, I know I said I would wait...and I also know I said I wanted ton only spend $60-$70) and will post pictures when I get it. Its 2 band badger silvertip.

I now want a brush for bowl lathering and travel and want to explore (which means I am lying to you and myself and will end up buying soon) synthetics.

Muhle seems to have this new Silvertip Fiber that is pretty advanced. It is pretty expensive though. Is it really that revolutionary? Muhle also has a black fiber. Dont know the difference as far as "feel". Also you can use the knot only in other handles.

Plisson is also recommended, but seems similar to above.

Are these expensive prices on synthetic really that differerent as far as feel as performance. If you can get a $13.00 synthetic, is a $65.00 5 times better?

Looking for the sweetspot where you get the best value (performance, feel, and the extra you may pay wont return that much of a difference)

Bonus points for those manufacturers that sell just a 24 MM knot as I may want to put this into the Metal  Switchback 400 or BSB metal handle.

Omega seems to have a lot of inexpensive options. So does Razoroc and Sitirling. Is there any "technology" or advancements in the makeup of their fibers to help them compete with the Muhle and Plissons? Can you get just the knots?

7 88
 12-01-2016, 11:31 AM
User Info
In my experience, the difference between a 12 dollar synth and a 50 dollar synth is usually the handle.  

That said, some people prefer the type of fibers in the Muhle synthetics, which is their own version and different from the cheaper alternatives.  

The Plissons on the other hand are the exact same fibers as the RR/Stirling/Maggard brushes.  

The Omega S-brushes are popular and even cheaper, but they are a different style -- more like a boar brush.  

Another good inexpensive synth is the "Satin Tip The Purest" which has a knot that is a little less soft than the Plisson but has good density and backbone.

I'd start off with a Plisson style for your first synth, its hard to go wrong with one.  I'd get a 24mm.

11 972
 12-01-2016, 11:43 AM
User Info
(12-01-2016, 11:31 AM)surfshaver Wrote: In my experience, the difference between a 12 dollar synth and a 50 dollar synth is usually the handle.  

That said, some people prefer the type of fibers in the Muhle synthetics, which is their own version and different from the cheaper alternatives.  

The Plissons on the other hand are the exact same fibers as the RR/Stirling/Maggard brushes.  

The Omega S-brushes are popular and even cheaper, but they are a different style -- more like a boar brush.  

Another good inexpensive synth is the "Satin Tip The Purest" which has a knot that is a little less soft than the Plisson but has good density and backbone.

I'd start off with a Plisson style for your first synth, its hard to go wrong with one.  I'd get a 24mm.

Thanks.

Just one clarification. I though the Omega HI brushes simulated Badger and the S simulated Boar

Any experience with the HI Brushes?

7 88
 12-01-2016, 12:47 PM
User Info
(12-01-2016, 11:43 AM)Diamond Dog Wrote:
(12-01-2016, 11:31 AM)surfshaver Wrote: In my experience, the difference between a 12 dollar synth and a 50 dollar synth is usually the handle.  

Thanks.

Just one clarification. I though the Omega HI brushes simulated Badger and the S simulated Boar

I haven't used the HI brushes but I'm guessing you're right about the distinction.  Among those I've tried, the one closest in feel to a synthetic badger is the Satin Tip.

11 972
 12-01-2016, 01:10 PM
User Info
My favorite knot is the black wolf and/or APShaveCo tuxedo. I'd start there, or plissoft style, before spending more.

3 335
 12-01-2016, 02:19 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info

I tend to agree with this. I've purchased and let go of many synthetic brushes, and unless something has changed very recently, the fibers all seemed the same (either Muhle style or Plisson style). It was only the handles and overall attention to assembly that was different.

34 1,627
 12-01-2016, 03:06 PM
User Info
(12-01-2016, 02:19 PM)Giorgio Wrote:

I tend to agree with this. I've purchased and let go of many synthetic brushes, and unless something has changed very recently, the fibers all seemed the same (either Muhle style or Plisson style). It was only the handles and overall attention to assembly that was different.
Fibers are definitely not all the same. There is some variety now, BUT I agree with the sentiment. Is the $50 fiber better than the $5 one? Not necessarily.

3 335
 12-01-2016, 03:35 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
The uber soft 2 I think that's what there called. To me they feel like a badger.

5 527
 12-02-2016, 09:58 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I own 2 synthetic brushes, an Omega Hi barberpole and a Simpson's Chubby 2. The fibers are different. While they both have soft tips, the Chubby behaves more like real badger - but no, it doesn't mimic the real thing, it just feels more "familiar" than the Omega fiber. It is easier to control splay with the Simpson's brush. The Omega requires more effort and fine motor control to generate appropriate splay, and it's more finicky and idiosyncratic than the Chubby. The Simpson's was more expensive but imo it's more enjoyable to use.

7 2,379
 12-02-2016, 11:57 AM
User Info
(12-01-2016, 11:43 AM)Diamond Dog Wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, extremely springy and the roughest tips I've ever used in a synthetic. I have about 10 different synthetics. Many guys do not speak very highly of them, unfortunately. I do like the S Brush and it's very inexpensive, relatively speaking.....

0 122
 12-03-2016, 10:54 AM
User Info
I think I am narrowing this down.    If I just buy a ready made brush, I think I will go with RazoRock.  Can't believe how inexpensive.  Seems to get good reviews

But I kind of like buying the handle and knot separately.  If this is the case Whipped Dog gets great reviews.

I actually think that of all the 3 you are really "splitting hairs".  Pardon the pun.  

Would also be curious if I am missing anyone that just makes knots

7 88
 12-03-2016, 11:26 AM
User Info
Nothing new to add from several posts ago, but for knots Envy Shave Ubersoft 2 knot, APShaveCo tuxedo knot, Maggards. Also if you really want a knot, but don't like the handle, you can always sacrifice the handle. But honestly, just pick I've and try it. All are good. Only way to know which you prefer is to try multiple ones. But there isn't a "best" one.

3 335
 12-03-2016, 12:23 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-01-2016, 11:07 AM)Diamond Dog Wrote: I ordered a Shavemac (yes, I know I said I would wait...and I also know I said I wanted ton only spend $60-$70) and will post pictures when I get it. Its 2 band badger silvertip.

Muhle seems to have this new Silvertip Fiber that is pretty advanced. It is pretty expensive though. Is it really that revolutionary? Muhle also has a black fiber. Dont know the difference as far as "feel". Also you can use the knot only in other handles.

Your disease is progressing right on track Biggrin

The Muhle-made silvertip fibers are the best in my opinion. Edwin Jagger uses the same fibers. And I actually prefer my EJ Large over my EJ XL. The easiest brush to use from A to Z, from picking up soap to lathering to precision aiming. Flawless.

I haven't used their black fibers, just the Silvertip fibers.

62 3,014
 12-03-2016, 03:46 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I have several different synthetic knots and have been preferring the Ubersoft II knot available from Nathan Clark at EnvyShave for around $16.00. It's the closest synthetic to badger, IMO.

38 5,201
 12-03-2016, 07:38 PM
User Info
I like the Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic much better than my Maggards 26mm plissoft brush.

2 144
 12-03-2016, 08:03 PM
User Info
(12-03-2016, 03:46 PM)evnpar Wrote: I have several different synthetic knots and have been preferring the Ubersoft II knot available from Nathan Clark at EnvyShave for around $16.00. It's the closest synthetic to badger, IMO.

The 24mm is out of stock and being discontinued and replaced with something new, with a stronger backbone. I asked for photos and a further explanation.

29 1,776
 12-04-2016, 07:49 AM
User Info
The Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic is my favorite.

[Image: IMG_0895-L.jpg]

16 1,982
 12-04-2016, 08:31 AM
User Info
(12-04-2016, 07:49 AM)cosmicshaver Wrote: The Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic is my favorite.

Very nice collection of CH2's Mark.  This is also my preferred synthetic.  I have them in traditional Simpson cream and butterscotch.  I'll definitely acquire more handle colors when Simpson makes them available.

51 6,449
 12-04-2016, 09:24 AM
User Info
(12-03-2016, 08:03 PM)rsp1202 Wrote:
(12-03-2016, 03:46 PM)evnpar Wrote: I have several different synthetic knots and have been preferring the Ubersoft II knot available from Nathan Clark at EnvyShave for around $16.00. It's the closest synthetic to badger, IMO.

The 24mm is out of stock and being discontinued and replaced with something new, with a stronger backbone. I asked for photos and a further explanation.
Let us know when you hear something. I'm interested to see what's coming.

3 335
 12-04-2016, 09:24 AM
User Info
(12-04-2016, 07:49 AM)cosmicshaver Wrote: The Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic is my favorite.

It looks like the butterscotch has gotten the most love so far. Any difference in the feel between the four beauties?

2 144