12-02-2016, 09:20 AM
User Info
So, if you view one of my previous threads, you will see a little haul from fleabay I scored.  This past week I have been using the clog proof.  Good, close shave.  A little rough at points, but a good shave nonetheless.  
Today, since I needed to put in a new blade, I decided to try out one of the other razors I scored, a little Dameskene.  Well Hello!  What a nice, smooth shave.  The angle is so intuitive it is ridiculous, and smooth and close as all get out.  Wow! And that was only one shave on a new razor with a new SS Gem blade.  I can't wait to see how it is when I am used to the razor and the blade is broken in.  I also note that I am still breaking in 2 new boar brushes, the 610 in the photo and an SOC, so usually get a little extra irritation when breaking in a new boar brush, but even that was minimial.  [Image: td7SSA2.jpg]

90 899
 12-02-2016, 09:31 AM
User Info
I agree it is a great shave glad you found it.  I find that the Damaskeene is the BEST vintage shave with a new gem blade as most others give me irritation with new blades.  I don't like the Damaskeene shave after the 3rd or 4th shave however and switch it into a '24 shovelhead for 3 or 4 more after the blade is seasoned.  Funny because I find the Shovelhead a little harsh with a brand new blade but they can both be found in good user-grade condition for great prices.  My favorite vintage SE shave is actually starting a blade out in the damaskeene and then switching it over to the shovelhead.  As much as I love my modern razors I would be just fine shaving with these two forever.

83 423
 12-11-2016, 10:14 AM
User Info
After reading this thread, I thought to put me DE's away and pull out my Damaskeens.

I have a fairly hard to come by open comb and a standard. Unfortunately the OC spring is a bit loose and allows the blade to chatter a bit. Wish I knew how to repair it.

I did use my standard Damaskeen for my Sunday shave. Absolutely bbs and smooth.

I agree that the Damskeene is the best of the Gem type SE's...for me anyway.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

20 371
 12-11-2016, 11:03 AM
User Info
You should try the OC version ... Fantastic  Sisi

8 1,127
 12-11-2016, 12:30 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(12-11-2016, 10:14 AM)Mitchcumsteen Wrote: After reading this thread, I thought to put me DE's away and pull out my Damaskeens.

I have a fairly hard to come by open comb and a standard. Unfortunately the OC spring is a bit loose and allows the blade to chatter a bit. Wish I knew how to repair it.

Go to badger and blade and contact Captain Murphy he has repaired and modified a number of vintage De and SE for me over the years. If he can,t fix it then no one can. By the way he,s a great guy

51 435
 12-11-2016, 12:58 PM
User Info
(12-11-2016, 12:30 PM)bijou Wrote:
(12-11-2016, 10:14 AM)Mitchcumsteen Wrote: After reading this thread, I thought to put me DE's away and pull out my Damaskeens.

Go to badger and blade and contact Captain Murphy he has repaired and modified a number of vintage De and SE for me over the years. If he can,t fix it then no one can. By the way he,s a great guy

Thanks! I will reach out to him.

I love the OC even more than the standard one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 371