12-02-2016, 03:46 PM
User Info
Curious badger fan with a few questions...

What chemicals are used to treat the tips of badger knots during production?

Are 'gel tips' the consequence of chemical treatment or a natural phenomenon?

Are there any brush brands that do not use chemically treated knots?

Or perhaps a better, more comprehensive question would be: what's the process of turning furry badger into a brush?

16 152
 12-02-2016, 06:19 PM
User Info
I do not know exact chemicals or methods just a simple explanation that has presented as public knowledge. Badger hair goes through a process of sterilization that has been described as the cause of the hooked tips. There is also a description of bleaching the badger hair responsible for the look and again perhaps the cause of the hooked tips. Again I am not a manufacturer and have no idea myself what actually causes the hooked tips but this information was discussed many many times in various threads with the above two explanations to the best of everyone's knowledge as the reason for the tips curling.

60 1,523
 12-02-2016, 06:26 PM
User Info
There seem to be "back alley" whisperings of hooked tips being the product of chemical "enhancement" even of the legendary Rooney heritage line.  If they are the result of bleaching and/or chemicals, then fine by me because they were incredible brushes.  

As for finding out which manufacturers don't, I figure you could certainly ask some of the brush makers here.  I've been very impressed with the transparency of makers like Ken and Aldo.  Even Mark of Simpson's is a straight-shooter.

84 1,505
 12-02-2016, 06:36 PM
User Info
I have owned a true Rooney heritage two band gel , TGN finest gel tip , and the various Morris brushes over the years displaying hooked tips and at times had the gel feel. Now as of late (2011 and on) hooked tips are becoming more common as a whole but also I have seen them in three band brushes.

60 1,523
 12-02-2016, 06:37 PM
User Info
I believe steam and heat are also used.

3 997
 12-02-2016, 06:45 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
I can only find whipped dog HW with hooked/gel tips. I'd love to find more brush makes with these type knots.

5 527
 12-02-2016, 07:08 PM
User Info
I don't know how the sausage is made.

I wouldn't want a brush that had a knot that had not been sterilized though. 

Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

I don't plan on making a knot field to fork. It is curious though. I've wondered myself in glancing bits here and there. Usually end up day dreaming about organizing a group buy for a wolverine brush before the Mrs gets my attention and I move on.

9 1,410