08-10-2012, 02:48 AM
User Info
Hello folks!

Recently I acquired a vintage Merkur Progress set. It seems to be complete, with box, a blade and even a paper with detailed instructions - something that the current ones don't have. The set appears also to be mint or nearly mint.

[Image: 11372535zc.jpg]

I've not yet took the time to take decent photos of it, but I intend to do so in the near future, and make a presentation. But, as a first impression, the plastic knob seems to be nicer and better quality than the current Progress model - and the box seems to be extremely sturdy, much better than the current Merkur boxes.

The set includes instructions in both Spanish and French. I had scanned the instructions, but unfortunately, an English version was not included. However, I founded these instructions curious, and decided to post them here:

Spanish version:
[Image: 11417134ie.jpg]

French version:
[Image: 11417133cx.jpg]

Later, scooping the web, I found an image of the English version of the instruction sheet. Here it is, for your viewing pleasure:

Image courtesy of razorgeek
[Image: 11451072up.jpg]

The difference with the current model is noticeable - nowadays, the Progress either have no instruction sheet at all, or when they have, it is something like this:

Image courtesy of fellow member bleddyn.
[img][Image: Progress.jpg][/img]

One thing that I find curious is that in the instruction sheet, they recommend to begin the shave with a milder setting and use a more aggressive setting in the last passes.

I've seen this recommendation before (e.g.: in one of Mantic's videos) but a lot of people do otherwise: they use the same setting all along the shave, or sometimes they use a more aggressive setting at the beginning and a less aggressive setting at the end.

What do you guys think of this?

Hope you like seeing this, and let the discussion begin!

2 5,511
 08-10-2012, 04:09 AM
User Info
Nice score! I don't have anything too productive to add, other than gawking and admiration.

2 362
 08-10-2012, 07:32 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Very cool!

I've never tried the "backwards" settings. I've always used the more aggressive setting first and then backed off but.....I would like to try it the way that you mention because it makes sense that if you create less irritation at first by using a lower setting,(as long as you don't use pressure) you can then be more aggressive and remove the remaining stubble more effectively without much more added irritation. ???!
This seems to give added meaning to progressive beard reduction as opposed to trying to mow it down, (mostly) all at once.

And BTW, my Mergress did not come with an instruction sheet.

6 905
 08-10-2012, 07:54 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Nice Find the progress is one of my best razors enjoy!!

115 1,690
 08-10-2012, 03:22 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I wouldn't dare use an adjustable razor mild to aggressive. I have not used the Progress, but I have a Futur and find that razor very aggressive at a setting of 3. I believe it is more aggressive at 3 than the 34HD and Jagger 89 are. The only time I use 3 on the Futur is with several days growth on my face.

For those of you who have both razors, is the Progress the same as the Futur or is it significantly milder than the Futur at all settings?

16 536
 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM
User Info
I've tried that, not with the Progress (yet), but with the Gillette Adjustables. I usually do "WTG-XTG-ATG" -routine passes...

Generally, when I use my Gillette Adjustables, I prefer to start with a milder setting (don't know why, but the razor slides better...) and to finish with a more aggressive setting in order to get a closer shave (well, they are mild anyway...)

I've taken that tip from one of Mantic's videos, where he shows several ways to use an adjustable:

Of course, the Progress is an entirely different beast. And each one of us may do this in completely different ways!

2 5,511
 08-10-2012, 04:16 PM
User Info
Emanuel, where are you finding all these great razors, meu amigo? Wow, beautiful. i would not go mild to aggressive in my shaves, though.

74 20,793
 08-17-2014, 07:14 AM
User Info
Seems to Me ....... that when the work is heaviest and hardest, you use the heavy tools that can handle the load.

Oh ya, I'm a newbie. Hi, glad to be here.[/font][/size]

0 2
 08-18-2014, 02:25 AM
User Info
Welcome, mate. How about presenting yourself to the community here? Wink Smile

2 5,511
 08-18-2014, 12:37 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I guess the instructions go along with the name of the razor. If they suggested to start off aggressive and work your way milder it would be called the Regress... Blush

The instructions make me smile with the poor translation similar to what we see on razors coming from the Asian market. I had a vintage gold model and it was beautiful to look at. It, however, shaved exactly the same as my newer models so I flipped it. I do like how they used to paint in the numbers and I have attempted to reproduce that on my modern Progresses and unfortunately the indentations are too shallow to hold the paint.

121 2,252
 08-18-2014, 04:47 PM
User Info
I use my Futur on 3, Long Progress on 3, Short Progress on 3.5.

The added weight is why the difference in settings, IMO.

1 63
 08-19-2014, 12:18 AM
User Info
Well, I don't have a Futur or a Long Progress, but that Progress that you see in the photos at 3,5 works like a charm for me! Smile

2 5,511