12-05-2016, 01:47 PM
User Info
Hello all. I am happy to have found this forum and am hoping you can help me buy the right shaving brush for for my husband as a gift. He loves shaving with a brush and uses the proraso shave soap (green is his favorite followed by the white). His first and current brush is this one (link removed)
He is not an avid collector or anything. Just likes the brush, soap and lather. Razors he uses are the ones you buy at drug stores (he doesn't like spending a lot of money on razors despite my encouragement to try a nicer razor!). 

I want to get him a nice upgraded brush. I don't know much about the terminology. He says the one he has is too soft and not firm enough. He wants to keep using the same soap and likes the lather. I found this site: (link removed) and think they may have a nice selection but I am at a loss re: hair type he might like, correct knot size and shape. Can someone suggest some options? Willing to spend probably up to $150 if necessary but less is of course ok.

Thanks!
Oh! and in case it matters he lathers in the soap container itself not in a bowl.

0 11
 12-05-2016, 01:53 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place. I assume for Christmas? Or is there no timeframe?

75 1,324
 12-05-2016, 02:03 PM
User Info
(12-05-2016, 01:53 PM)Gabe Wrote: Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place. I assume for Christmas? Or is there no timeframe?

Yes, christmas please.

0 11
 12-05-2016, 02:05 PM
User Info
Lucky husband. Art of Shaving tends to be a bit overpriced when it comes to brushes. I would look at an off the shelf Shavemac or Thater. These are brushes that will not shed, perform wonderfully, and are a beauty to behold. Both are truly excellent value for the money and both can be had for at or under $150. If you can stretch the budget "a hair," there are some nice 2 band hair options that will have plenty of backbone. Good luck in your search.

160 1,038
 12-05-2016, 02:10 PM
User Info
(12-05-2016, 02:05 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: Lucky husband. Art of Shaving tends to be a bit overpriced when it comes to brushes. I would look at an off the shelf Shavemac or Thater. These are brushes that will not shed, perform wonderfully, and are a beauty to behold. Both are truly excellent value for the money and both can be had for at or under $150. If you can stretch the budget "a hair," there are some nice 2 band hair options that will have plenty of backbone. Good luck in your search.

Thank you. I think the thater brushes look nice. What do you think of one like this: (link removed)
Will it be firmer to use but still soft on the face? What about fan shape vs bulb. Is one easier to lather with than the other?
I looked at shavemac's site but I am really overwhelmed with the options and am in need of suggested models.

0 11
 12-05-2016, 02:15 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
If he thinks his Pure badger brush is too soft and not firm enough...he would probably like a boar bristle brush. The downside is you are not going to spend a lot of $.  Biggrin  Now you could have a custom brush made using a boar brush knot and he would love that. Unfortunately the timeframe might not allow for that. Maybe......

Here would be my recommendations
1. Omega 10290 boar brush- $11
2. Stirling Finest badger brush- $40

If you are interested in a custom brush, I could pm you email addresses to some artisans. My first choice would be Rudy Vey as he is well respected and has a fast turn around time. 

Do not be fooled by the low prices compared to Art of Shaving. AOS stuff is fairly overpriced. After all they have to pay for the building etc.. 

If you are sold on spending $150 you could really buy him a nice brush, but I think it would be too soft for his tastes. The more $ the softer tips the brush usually has. 

My top choice for $100+ would be
Thater 2 band silvertip model 4292/4

Good luck with your search

75 1,324
 12-05-2016, 02:18 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(12-05-2016, 02:10 PM)hfpint Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 02:05 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: Lucky husband. Art of Shaving tends to be a bit overpriced when it comes to brushes. I would look at an off the shelf Shavemac or Thater. These are brushes that will not shed, perform wonderfully, and are a beauty to behold. Both are truly excellent value for the money and both can be had for at or under $150. If you can stretch the budget "a hair," there are some nice 2 band hair options that will have plenty of backbone. Good luck in your search.

Thank you. I think the thater brushes look nice. What do you think of one like this: (link removed)
Will it be firmer to use but still soft on the face? What about fan shape vs bulb. Is one easier to lather with than the other?
I looked at shavemac's site but I am really overwhelmed with the options and am in need of suggested models.

Smile  You posted before I could reply. That's exactly the brush I was thinking of if you went with nicer badger. I would go with bulb. It gives a more concentrated feel. It doesn't feel as floppy.

75 1,324
 12-05-2016, 02:27 PM
User Info
I would recommend any of these.

(link removed)
The first three are outstanding quality and value.

https://bullgooseshaving.com/collections...est-badger

Top brand name and the quality is great. Should be a very good improvement over his current brush.

https://bullgooseshaving.com/collections...ood-handle

Best all around performance and well reviewed by those who own one.
On my wish list some day.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

9 1,415
 12-05-2016, 02:27 PM
User Info
(12-05-2016, 02:18 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 02:10 PM)hfpint Wrote:

Smile  You posted before I could reply. That's exactly the brush I was thinking of if you went with nicer badger. I would go with bulb. It gives a more concentrated feel. It doesn't feel as floppy.

Thank you. I wonder if by "too soft" he meant too floppy as opposed to too soft on his face. Perhaps one issue goes to what people are referring to here as "backbone" and the other to hair type? I think that info could help me to know that in choosing. Let me do a little detective work!

0 11
 12-05-2016, 03:11 PM
User Info
He meant it was too floppy (as opposed to bristles too soft on face). So I think the thater 2 band silvertip (bulb?) might be a good option.

0 11
 12-05-2016, 03:35 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(12-05-2016, 03:11 PM)hfpint Wrote: He meant it was too floppy (as opposed to bristles too soft on face). So I think the thater 2 band silvertip (bulb?) might be a good option.

Agree.

102 18,653
 12-05-2016, 03:54 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(12-05-2016, 03:11 PM)hfpint Wrote: He meant it was too floppy (as opposed to bristles too soft on face). So I think the thater 2 band silvertip (bulb?) might be a good option.

That was easy. I am sure your husband will be pleased. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

75 1,324
 12-05-2016, 04:30 PM
User Info
Thanks for the quick help!

0 11
 12-05-2016, 05:48 PM
User Info
Anyone have any insight on the differences between the bulb styles of the Thater 4292/5  and the Thater  4125 Finest 2-band silvertip and which one based on the info above he might like better?

0 11
 12-06-2016, 02:19 AM
User Info
(12-05-2016, 05:48 PM)hfpint Wrote: Anyone have any insight on the differences between the bulb styles of the Thater 4292/5  and the Thater  4125 Finest 2-band silvertip and which one based on the info above he might like better?

The only difference would be in the style of the handles. The other part too is are you talking about the Thater 4292/5 and a Thater 4125/5 in 2-band Finest Silvertip? It's the number right after the / that indicates the size of the brush, and you will want to be careful as they are not listed with exactly the same size. I know there have been a few times Thater has reworked their sizing scale, and some old information might be out of date. I'll provide the best info I can. In terms of the two styles I would say the 4292 is the safer style choice. It's much like vanilla ice cream. A very steady, usable handle that is nice, but the 4125 handle feels like something more indulgent, like chocolate. I found at first I couldn't use the 4125 style handle and sold it, but the looks of it is just too compelling and very popular here, and I have succumbed yet again and now have three of the 4125 style handles. 

The part that needs clarification is if you are comparing the 4292/5 style handle to a 4125/5 style handle. The number after the / is important as it designates the size of the brush, but between the different styled handles the knot is not the same size. The 4292/5 handle you mentioned has a 26mm knot, while a 4125/5 would have a massive 32mm knot.

Hopefully a picture comparison of these brushes will help.

[Image: 5FTT62S.jpg]

I wanted to include something easily identifiable as a scale reference, and the can of Campbell's Tomato soup fit the bill. From left to right: Thater 4125/3 Bulb shaped, 4292/4 Bulb shaped, Shavemac D-01 2-band Fan shaped (Shavemac makes Thater's handles), and Thater 4125/3 Fan shaped. The two fan shaped brushes, 3rd and 4th are different in terms of hair, but you'll notice the far right splays heavily. To avoid that floppy feeling I would recommend avoiding the Thater fan shaped knots. Not a bad thing, but it's not what you are looking for as others have indicated too. Stick with the bulb shape like you thought. 

To make note of the knot sizes of these brush handles, again from left to right: 28mm, 23mm, 26mm, and 28mm. 

I'm going to go with the 4292/5 you referenced, and would say the Shavemac, third brush from the left would be the most accurate in size. It takes some imagination as it is not a direct comparison to the 2-band hair that would be in the 4292/5, but imaging a slightly taller handle and knot size in a bulb shape gets it close to a good idea of what to expect. Also, since you mentioned the 4125 handle, if you haven't seen the 49125 style handle look at that. Same shape but it integrates a clear plexiglass look with some black on top. I imagine I'll succumb to that too soon enough. lol

Edit: Scratch the 49125 idea. Very hard to find it in 2-band, and where you can find it, it's out of stock. Sad

23 635
 12-06-2016, 03:55 AM
User Info
I have to agree with all of the above. If budget is a constraint then it certainly sounds like the Stirling 2 Band is a great option from the reviews I have seen. Another good cost effective option for a nice brush is the Semogue Owners Club 2 Band Badger although it does not have quite as much backbone as some of the others mentioned it is a great brush.

For Thater brushes I would definitely go with a bulb knot. I love my 4125 brushes. The 2 band certainly has more backbone but the 3 band is still adequate and has very soft tips and a wonderfully cloud like face feel.
Shavemac 2 band I like the Fan. If you are looking at a D01 I would definitely suggest a fan knot. I have not used a normal Shavemac 2 band in the bulb knot but assume it would be an excellent choice.

4 105
 12-06-2016, 08:35 AM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 02:19 AM)kooshman7 Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 05:48 PM)hfpint Wrote: Anyone have any insight on the differences between the bulb styles of the Thater 4292/5  and the Thater  4125 Finest 2-band silvertip and which one based on the info above he might like better?

The only difference would be in the style of the handles. The other part too is are you talking about the Thater 4292/5 and a Thater 4125/5 in 2-band Finest Silvertip? It's the number right after the / that indicates the size of the brush, and you will want to be careful as they are not listed with exactly the same size. I know there have been a few times Thater has reworked their sizing scale, and some old information might be out of date. I'll provide the best info I can. In terms of the two styles I would say the 4292 is the safer style choice. It's much like vanilla ice cream. A very steady, usable handle that is nice, but the 4125 handle feels like something more indulgent, like chocolate. I found at first I couldn't use the 4125 style handle and sold it, but the looks of it is just too compelling and very popular here, and I have succumbed yet again and now have three of the 4125 style handles. 

The part that needs clarification is if you are comparing the 4292/5 style handle to a 4125/5 style handle. The number after the / is important as it designates the size of the brush, but between the different styled handles the knot is not the same size. The 4292/5 handle you mentioned has a 26mm knot, while a 4125/5 would have a massive 32mm knot.

Hopefully a picture comparison of these brushes will help.

[Image: 5FTT62S.jpg]

I wanted to include something easily identifiable as a scale reference, and the can of Campbell's Tomato soup fit the bill. From left to right: Thater 4125/3 Bulb shaped, 4292/4 Bulb shaped, Shavemac D-01 2-band Fan shaped (Shavemac makes Thater's handles), and Thater 4125/3 Fan shaped. The two fan shaped brushes, 3rd and 4th are different in terms of hair, but you'll notice the far right splays heavily. To avoid that floppy feeling I would recommend avoiding the Thater fan shaped knots. Not a bad thing, but it's not what you are looking for as others have indicated too. Stick with the bulb shape like you thought. 

To make note of the knot sizes of these brush handles, again from left to right: 28mm, 23mm, 26mm, and 28mm. 

I'm going to go with the 4292/5 you referenced, and would say the Shavemac, third brush from the left would be the most accurate in size. It takes some imagination as it is not a direct comparison to the 2-band hair that would be in the 4292/5, but imaging a slightly taller handle and knot size in a bulb shape gets it close to a good idea of what to expect. Also, since you mentioned the 4125 handle, if you haven't seen the 49125 style handle look at that. Same shape but it integrates a clear plexiglass look with some black on top. I imagine I'll succumb to that too soon enough. lol

Edit: Scratch the 49125 idea. Very hard to find it in 2-band, and where you can find it, it's out of stock. Sad
 Thank you so much for taking the time to post this great reply. It is so informative and really helps to explain some of the differences. I had no idea shaving brushes were so nuanced. Thanks to everyone here for your help. I think I am going to get him the Thater 4292/5 2 band silvertip bulb. I may also get a jar of the santa maria novella shave cream thanks to the soap board as it sounds like that is an upgrade from the proraso green soap. Can't wait to see his reaction and tell him about this great board after I give it to him!

0 11
 12-06-2016, 09:05 AM
User Info
Both great choices! There is a great deal out there indeed. The great part too is that there is several hidden gems out there. I think that is what keeps a great deal of us in the hunt, and to top it off new products are being made daily adding to the line up of established standards. I'm sure your husband will be pleased with your selections! I know I would be just from the time you've put in to find him something truly special. Smile

23 635
 12-08-2016, 09:49 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I recommend a brush from Elite Razors, or even a Semogue Owner's Club badger. Ime, the SOC has a firmer knot than Elite, but the Elite Razors selection of handles and knots is extraordinary, and they're VERY reasonably priced for the quality you're getting. Bob ships real quickly, too. He will give solid advice and he's a great guy to do business with.

7 2,164