12-05-2016, 05:07 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
I just got it and had the first shave today. It is a very nice razor. My only suggestion for future buyers is that you should use a good soap or cream. Also, make sure that your lather is well hydrated. You might not get away with poor prep. It is not a mild razor. I used Castle Forbes cream.  Perfect shave. 
[Image: WQY7cqR.jpg]

18 415
 12-05-2016, 05:20 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I found the SE1 mild. If the SE2 is more aggressive then I'm keen to give it a try. Can anyone comment in regards to any difference between the two?

99 18,011
 12-05-2016, 05:32 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
I can not say. I do not have the se1. I can say that it took out 5 days of hair growth like nothing in the first pass.  I usually do four passes, but i got bbs in three.  I used feather professional blade.

18 415
 12-06-2016, 04:49 PM
User Info
I have the SE with both base plates. I'd say that the SE2 is slightly more aggressive. Not a lot, though - they both have the same blade gap.

If the razor (either one) seems mild, simply load a Feather Pro Super blade. I don't see how anyone could describe this combination as mild.

--Bob

0 185
 12-09-2016, 05:20 AM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 04:49 PM)spidey9 Wrote: I have the SE with both base plates. I'd say that the SE2 is slightly more aggressive. Not a lot, though - they both have the same blade gap.

If the razor (either one) seems mild, simply load a Feather Pro Super blade. I don't see how anyone could describe this combination as mild.

--Bob

But be careful!

1 161
 12-09-2016, 07:38 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Stan has stated that there is a revised version of the SE2 (more aggressive) soon to be released. For more info, see HERE.

99 18,011
 12-09-2016, 02:46 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-05-2016, 05:32 PM)carvelo Wrote: I can not say. I do not have the se1. I can say that it took out 5 days of hair growth like nothing in the first pass.  I usually do four passes, but i got bbs in three.  I used feather professional blade.

I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I seem to get BBS quicker when I start with a couple days growth (vs shaving every day like I normally do). Does anyone else get that?

59 2,691
 12-10-2016, 02:45 AM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
(12-09-2016, 02:46 PM)Nero Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 05:32 PM)carvelo Wrote: I can not say. I do not have the se1. I can say that it took out 5 days of hair growth like nothing in the first pass.  I usually do four passes, but i got bbs in three.  I used feather professional blade.

I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I seem to get BBS quicker when I start with a couple days growth (vs shaving every day like I normally do). Does anyone else get that?

Yes. It happens to me too. I'm almost sure that Con discussed it in one of his videos from Shave the Man in You Tube.

18 415
 12-10-2016, 04:37 AM
User Info
(12-05-2016, 05:20 PM)ben74 Wrote: I found the SE1 mild. If the SE2 is more aggressive then I'm keen to give it a try. Can anyone comment in regards to any difference between the two?
The SE2 is more aggressive hands down. If I were to relate, it would be similar to the S1 and S2 face feel. You feel a lot more blade and the lack of a solid safety bar, demands a light touch and great prep. The main difference is in efficiency. I find if I use a light tough with the SE1 I need 3 passes and touch ups. The SE2 completes in two passes. Advantages with these SE razors is the head design allowing for easy sight of the blade edge. I would also finally suggest using an Atlas handle with the SE2 where the SE1 suits the Bamboo. You don't want to be focusing the weight at the head with the SE2 initially IMO as the touch needs to be light. I find a very mild blade, such as the Kai Pro Touch to be good in the SE2 head where as a sharper blade suits the SE1.

0 838
 12-12-2016, 07:00 PM
User Info
(12-10-2016, 04:37 AM)Nishy Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 05:20 PM)ben74 Wrote: I found the SE1 mild. If the SE2 is more aggressive then I'm keen to give it a try. Can anyone comment in regards to any difference between the two?
The SE2 is more aggressive hands down. If I were to relate, it would be similar to the S1 and S2 face feel. You feel a lot more blade and the lack of a solid safety bar, demands a light touch and great prep. The main difference is in efficiency. I find if I use a light tough with the SE1 I need 3 passes and touch ups. The SE2 completes in two passes. Advantages with these SE razors is the head design allowing for easy sight of the blade edge. I would also finally suggest using an Atlas handle with the SE2 where the SE1 suits the Bamboo. You don't want to be focusing the weight at the head with the SE2 initially IMO as the touch needs to be light. I find a very mild blade, such as the Kai Pro Touch to be good in the SE2 head where as a sharper blade suits the SE1.

I can't recommend the Atlas handle if you have large hands.

I owned one, and honestly I can barely have it in my fingers, it's just so tiny.
Almost feels like a joke, when I hold it in my hands, like using a Simpson Chubby 1......the handle is soo tiny.

The Bamboo and Kronos are much nicer for larger hands/fingers, and both are not that big really.

The Colossus is what I could call a large handle.

24 5,924
 12-13-2016, 12:46 AM
User Info
(12-12-2016, 07:00 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

I owned one, and honestly I can barely have it in my fingers, it's just so tiny.
Almost feels like a joke, when I hold it in my hands, like using a Simpson Chubby 1......the handle is soo tiny.

The Bamboo and Kronos are much nicer for larger hands/fingers, and both are not that big really.

I hear you buddy, it is one of those YMMV situations. I don't own any or at least use any fat or thick handles. I prefer using thinner handles, length isn't an issue I have large hands. I feel manual dexterity suffers when the handle is too thick, for my shaves. I also much prefer the razor to be balanced, unless the head is overly aggressive. In which case, I prefer the focal point to be at the base of the handle. As the SE2 is super efficient a heavier handle would just add irritation to my shaves, or I would be using 'negative pressure' to alleviate the 'force' at the head.

0 838
 12-13-2016, 02:33 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I did see where the SE2 will be "phased out" and the (new) SE2 will be the one Ben linked to above

8 389
 12-13-2016, 02:39 PM
User Info
(12-13-2016, 12:46 AM)Nishy Wrote:
(12-12-2016, 07:00 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 04:37 AM)Nishy Wrote: The SE2 is more aggressive hands down. If I were to relate, it would be similar to the S1 and S2 face feel. You feel a lot more blade and the lack of a solid safety bar, demands a light touch and great prep. The main difference is in efficiency. I find if I use a light tough with the SE1 I need 3 passes and touch ups. The SE2 completes in two passes. Advantages with these SE razors is the head design allowing for easy sight of the blade edge. I would also finally suggest using an Atlas handle with the SE2 where the SE1 suits the Bamboo. You don't want to be focusing the weight at the head with the SE2 initially IMO as the touch needs to be light. I find a very mild blade, such as the Kai Pro Touch to be good in the SE2 head where as a sharper blade suits the SE1.

I hear you buddy, it is one of those YMMV situations. I don't own any or at least use any fat or thick handles. I prefer using thinner handles, length isn't an issue I have large hands. I feel manual dexterity suffers when the handle is too thick, for my shaves. I also much prefer the razor to be balanced, unless the head is overly aggressive. In which case, I prefer the focal point to be at the base of the handle. As the SE2 is super efficient a heavier handle would just add irritation to my shaves, or I would be using 'negative pressure' to alleviate the 'force' at the head.

I can understand the appreciation for better balance and control with the smaller less heavy handles.
I just, for one, had to sell my ATT Atlas handle because it just felt like my fingers cramped when I used the Atlas.

I have the same problem with too thin handles on golf clubs and tennis racquets as well as kitchen knifes.
Rafa Nadal plays with a very thin handle on his tennis racquet, even though he has normal size hands. I actually met him once in his home tennis club, and could not believe how thin a handle he plays with. I have XL hands. It felt like a child's racquet.
He gets his spin and control enhanced with the smaller size handle.

24 5,924
 12-13-2016, 03:24 PM
User Info
Maybe one day, the SE1 will be available in aluminum :-)

0 237
 12-14-2016, 08:28 AM
  • stan
  • USA
User Info
(12-13-2016, 03:24 PM)Asafiev Wrote: Maybe one day, the SE1 will be available in aluminum :-)

Rolleyes

0 294
 12-15-2016, 07:33 PM
User Info
I received my ATT SE2 head a couple of days ago and have had two shaves with it so far. (I believe it's the redesigned, more aggressive SE2 head.) I used my usual blade, the Feather AC Pro Super, which I normally load into a Feather AC DX or Kai Captain straight. A straight is often supposed to be infinitely aggressive, but this is a myth. A straight can actually be the gentlest of shaves, depending on how you wield it. In any case, the SE2 with a fresh Pro Super blade is quite aggressive -- right up there with the Mühle 2011 R41 -- and a bit more aggressive than I'm used to with the Feather or Kai straight razors. The shave is wonderful -- two passes plus touch-up for BBS. For my first shave I used the humongous Matador S5 stainless handle, and for last night's I used the slender but still hefty Weber 2012 Classic handle. Both were very nice, and the weight of the handles added to the aggressiveness of the shave. Tonight I think I'll try using the ATT Kronos handle.

The new SE2 is top-notch. It won't replace my straights, but I will keep going back to it for its effectiveness and ease of use. Two thumbs up. Thumbup

0 83
 12-17-2016, 11:29 AM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
Now I have to get the new version - aggressive for me pls!

28 667
 12-30-2016, 06:55 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-10-2016, 02:45 AM)carvelo Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 02:46 PM)Nero Wrote: I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I seem to get BBS quicker when I start with a couple days growth (vs shaving every day like I normally do). Does anyone else get that?

Yes. It happens to me too. I'm almost sure that Con discussed it in one of his videos from Shave the Man in You Tube.

Cool thanks! (and sorry for the late reply, I don't normally visit the Razors threads)

59 2,691
 12-30-2016, 07:45 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(12-30-2016, 06:55 PM)Nero Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 02:45 AM)carvelo Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 02:46 PM)Nero Wrote: I know this is gonna sound crazy, but I seem to get BBS quicker when I start with a couple days growth (vs shaving every day like I normally do). Does anyone else get that?

Cool thanks! (and sorry for the late reply, I don't normally visit the Razors threads)

A common phenomenon. I'm the same.

99 18,011
 12-30-2016, 07:46 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info

Great news. I'll have to get my hands on one.

99 18,011