12-05-2016, 09:14 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I find it funny that when you go to 'the other site', they're still discovering Tabac, TOBS, and Cella.

Glad I'm here!

Just saying.

57 2,549
 12-05-2016, 09:49 PM
User Info
Hahaha.

11 967
 12-05-2016, 09:57 PM
User Info
Nothing wrong with Tabac or TOBS

1 97
 12-05-2016, 11:11 PM
User Info
(12-05-2016, 09:14 PM)Nero Wrote: I find it funny that when you go to 'the other site', they're still discovering Tabac, TOBS, and Cella.

Glad I'm here!

Just saying.

No need to be mean:
[Image: ten_thousand.png]

If I was Phil, I'd love to have such a constant influx of new members that there are "problems" with repeats.
The other site is ranked around #17,000 in Alexa.com U.S.A. popularity, compared to Shavenook at #167,000

6 680
 12-05-2016, 11:29 PM
User Info
A relative of a good friend of mine owns what was the most popular bar in town. When his business was picking up we coincided at family events and others. I enjoyed very much talking with him about his business and I sent him some info to help him out with a couple of logistical and sourcing issues. When we met at his "office" I realized I wouldn't like one bit to help him out when he was out for vacations, as he had asked/offered at some point. 
I like Phil's biz better.

8 1,060
 12-06-2016, 06:53 AM
User Info
You have to start somewhere. No need to make fun of them.

39 3,876
 12-06-2016, 06:58 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I know what you mean, Matt, but TOBS and Proraso are the best selling products in our hobby.

49 1,939
 12-06-2016, 07:22 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
The members on SRP are primarily focussed on straight razors, hones and honing, and only a minority have the same interest in quality brushes and soaps as TSN members. The nice thing about our hobby is that different members can pursue their interest in so many different aspects. I'm amazed at some of the brush collections of some of our members, in addition to their knowledge about them and the history of different brush companies. Others have amazing collections of vintage DE's or SE's. If someone new to our hobby asked about what soaps to try first, I'd probably have Tabac, TOBS, and Cella on my list.

38 5,031
 12-06-2016, 07:52 AM
User Info
But they're still very into vintage brass razors, as am I. If all the discussion here wasn't about the latest shiny thing, or the most recent soap, brush, whatever, I would be much more active here. I like vintage, I like to hang out with guys who like vintage.

They are also the place accumulating all of the new guys who are moving up from carts, so yes they are still teaching the basics. And they are attracting a much larger member base because of there more varied content.

I think The Shave Nook should try to learn from them rather than make fun of them for being popular and successful.

0 263
 12-06-2016, 08:00 AM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 07:52 AM)TobyC Wrote: But they're still very into vintage brass razors, as am I. If all the discussion here wasn't about the latest shiny thing, or the most recent soap, brush, whatever, I would be much more active here. I like vintage, I like to hang out with guys who like vintage.

They are also the place accumulating all of the new guys who are moving up from carts, so yes they are still teaching the basics. And they are attracting a much larger member base because of there more varied content.

I think The Shave Nook should try to learn from them rather than make fun of them for being popular and successful.
Well said @TobyC

39 3,876
 12-06-2016, 08:23 AM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 06:53 AM)primotenore Wrote: You have to start somewhere. No need to make fun of them.

Well said.

And not only for a start. Tabac, Cella and TOBS are good reliable products, not only for the man who is starting with this hobby, but also for "veterans" alike.

It's indeed a valid approach to our hobby - so valid as going after the latest fad in soaps, brushes, razors and the like.

2 5,545
 12-06-2016, 08:27 AM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 08:23 AM)oversaturn Wrote:
(12-06-2016, 06:53 AM)primotenore Wrote: You have to start somewhere. No need to make fun of them.

Well said.

And not only for a start. Tabac, Cella and TOBS are good reliable products, not only for the man who is starting with this hobby, but also for "veterans" alike.

It's indeed a valid approach to our hobby - so valid as going after the latest fad in soaps, brushes, razors and the like.
Classy response. Exactly how this Forum should present itself. Gracias Emanuel.

39 3,876
 12-06-2016, 09:28 AM
User Info
Many years ago, I had found about ten to fifteen DE and SE razors and thought these are junk and got rid of them (not sure where). That was because I believed they were lower quality and ineffective. Now I wish I had every one of them.  Facepalm

0 596
 12-06-2016, 09:34 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
It isn't unusual, they have a lot of newbies coming in, and discovering the classics was the first step for many of us.

Cheers, Steve

7 468
 12-06-2016, 09:59 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I wasn't intending to make fun of anyone or any product.
It's just HOW MANY THREADS do we need on Arko?

For matter of fact, I don't like all the new products that come out on a daily basis either. My favorite stuff is either discontinued or has been around for quite a while.

57 2,549
 12-06-2016, 10:47 AM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 09:59 AM)Nero Wrote:  

As many as it takes, if a member needs info we should encourage them to ask, even if it's been asked before. We are all here to help when we can, learn all that we can, share with others, and promote the shaving culture that we love. 

And what's better than more threads, and more activity on the forum, especially with new members seeking the knowledge and experience of the guys here? Appreciate it, and encourage it, it's not stagnancy, it's growth!  Thumbsup

0 263
 12-06-2016, 11:29 AM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 10:47 AM)TobyC Wrote:

As many as it takes, if a member needs info we should encourage them to ask, even if it's been asked before. We are all here to help when we can, learn all that we can, share with others, and promote the shaving culture that we love. 

And what's better than more threads, and more activity on the forum, especially with new members seeking the knowledge and experience of the guys here? Appreciate it, and encourage it, it's not stagnancy, it's growth!  Thumbsup

I disagree. While increased activity is great, how many threads do we really need to debate, over and over, the merits of, say, tallow soap, or a new generic top 8 every other week??? It gets old fast. Nero and I are of the same mind here...

158 1,016
 12-06-2016, 11:32 AM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 07:52 AM)TobyC Wrote: But they're still very into vintage brass razors, as am I. If all the discussion here wasn't about the latest shiny thing, or the most recent soap, brush, whatever, I would be much more active here. I like vintage, I like to hang out with guys who like vintage.

I too live in a vintage world.  Sure I still use my 34C, C37 and R41 but the majority of my rotation runs the gambit from 1904 to the 60's.  Right now I'm in the process of accumulating "Rockets".

0 129
 12-06-2016, 11:38 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-06-2016, 10:47 AM)TobyC Wrote:

Toby, come back when you have a sense of humor and can relax.  Your demeanor isn't necessary.  I don't even remember seeing 1 post of yours until today.

57 2,549
 12-06-2016, 11:44 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
"Forums" is perfectly fine Wink

0 1,733