12-06-2016, 12:38 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This took place in Washington State when a pleasure boat ran in to a Washington Ferry.

Lesson to be learned here: When you have to take a dump, do not put your boat on auto pilot, go below, and turn your hearing aids off.

Warning: Some foul language but worth the watch.

178 23,809
 12-06-2016, 01:43 PM
User Info
The scary thing is that industry is working on "auto pilot" for automobiles. Not everyone has a summer temperature IQ; hence the Darwin award recipients. The unfortunate part is that sometimes they take others with them.

32 6,460
 12-06-2016, 04:12 PM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 01:43 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The scary thing is that industry is working on "auto pilot" for automobiles. Not everyone has a summer temperature IQ; hence the Darwin award recipients. The unfortunate part is that sometimes they take others with them.

There was a memorable (well, at least I remember reading the newspaper story) single vehicle crash on a BC mountain road about 30 years ago. It was when cruise control was just becoming an option on vehicles. Guy with a brand-new motorhome put it on cruise control while he stepped into the back to make a pot of coffee, thinking it was a true self-drive autopilot...

1 29
 12-07-2016, 02:34 AM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 04:12 PM)Screwtape Wrote:
(12-06-2016, 01:43 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The scary thing is that industry is working on "auto pilot" for automobiles. Not everyone has a summer temperature IQ; hence the Darwin award recipients. The unfortunate part is that sometimes they take others with them.

There was a memorable (well, at least I remember reading the newspaper story) single vehicle crash on a BC mountain road about 30 years ago.  It was when cruise control was just becoming an option on vehicles.  Guy with a brand-new motorhome put it on cruise control while he stepped into the back to make a pot of coffee, thinking it was a true self-drive autopilot...

I have heard this story as well. Also heard that he successfully sued the manufacturer because the cruise control was called something along the lines of auto-"something".

4 105
 12-08-2016, 01:31 AM
User Info
(12-07-2016, 02:34 AM)nsavage Wrote:
(12-06-2016, 04:12 PM)Screwtape Wrote:

There was a memorable (well, at least I remember reading the newspaper story) single vehicle crash on a BC mountain road about 30 years ago.  It was when cruise control was just becoming an option on vehicles.  Guy with a brand-new motorhome put it on cruise control while he stepped into the back to make a pot of coffee, thinking it was a true self-drive autopilot...

I have heard this story as well. Also heard that he successfully sued the manufacturer because the cruise control was called something along the lines of auto-"something".

Wow. I never heard that sequel to the original news report. The manufacturer wasn't able to rely on the manual provided with the vehicle that the guy was supposed to read before operating all the accessories?

1 29
 12-08-2016, 04:28 AM
User Info
(12-08-2016, 01:31 AM)Screwtape Wrote:
(12-07-2016, 02:34 AM)nsavage Wrote:
(12-06-2016, 04:12 PM)Screwtape Wrote: There was a memorable (well, at least I remember reading the newspaper story) single vehicle crash on a BC mountain road about 30 years ago.  It was when cruise control was just becoming an option on vehicles.  Guy with a brand-new motorhome put it on cruise control while he stepped into the back to make a pot of coffee, thinking it was a true self-drive autopilot...

Wow.  I never heard that sequel to the original news report.  The manufacturer wasn't able to rely on the manual provided with the vehicle that the guy was supposed to read before operating all the accessories?
Apparently not. My understanding is that the name was as such that one could assume that the vehicle needed no one to control it once the feature was enabled.

Of course this is just a story I heard. I have no evidence to prove it real.

4 105
 12-08-2016, 04:57 AM
User Info
In a similiar vein there have been multiple incidents and a couple of accidents with the Tesla "autopilot"... which is nothing more than a adaptice cruise controll with a lane keeping feature, but people are stupid and don't really know what an autopilot is. I've talked to people who believe that the autopilot in an aircraft - any aircraft from a Cesna to a 747 - will fly the plane while the pilot tries to sleep his hangover away... in reality only Some, not all, modern autopilots in airplanes can land an airplane provided the the airport is a Cat IIIb or Cat IIIc, i.e.: they require a fair bit of active infrastructure on the airport. In other situations, or with the rest of the installed autopilots in the world, they will only assist the pilot in keeping the planes attitude and heading.

Funny how if a Tesla (or a boat) crashes while on "autopilot" everyone blames the technology, but if a plane have a controlled flight into terrain while on autopilot all the blame falls on the flight crew (where it belongs)....

3 4,511
 12-08-2016, 05:00 AM
User Info
Fortunately I let the ship's crew pilot when I heed the call. But seriously folks...Darwin award?

36 893