12-06-2016, 01:15 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I have had MWF in my rotation for about 10 years.  In the last year or so I find I hardly reach for it.  This is because several of the artisan soaps, as well as Tabac and Cella, give as good a shave and just seem more pleasant to use.  I am curious if others have felt the same way about MWF or other triple milled standards, e.g, Tabac, Trumper, DR Harris, etc.

1 796
 12-06-2016, 01:23 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I was in love with MWF but then started getting mediocre shaves with it and took it out of the rotation.  I haven't touched it in 6 months or so.  Might be time to revisit.

Eric

49 988
 12-06-2016, 01:23 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I sold all my backups. I just don't prefer it. It's a very nice soap, but in my honest opinion there are many others that perform better and have more pleasant/ refined scents. It's a classic though. Every wet shaver must try it at least once.

49 2,017
 12-06-2016, 01:31 PM
User Info
I own it, but my shaves have been sub par. I'm confident that it was user error and I have not really tried to dial it in yet. One of these days I'll give it another shot. I do like the classic scent.

41 1,196
 12-06-2016, 01:33 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
It's a good soap and I used it for years. Recently I revisited it and I found I no longer prefer it as much. I still enjoy the mild scent and post shave feel, but the effort to create good lather (at least the way I like it now) is too much compared to other soaps. I may occasionally revisit it from time to time, but it is no longer a regular and I wouldn't be sad if I don't have it in my den.

34 1,627
 12-06-2016, 01:39 PM
User Info
I love the mild scent of it but find it hard to lather. I'm doing 3017 with it and will finish soon. I don't think i will buy it again. If i do this will be because of the scent not the performance.

17 457
 12-06-2016, 02:09 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Makes me said to read the above, let me get a tissue.  MWF is my number one soap.  Since I discovered it about 10-years ago it has been my favorite and always will be.  I shave with it at least 4-5 times per week.

Sorry fellows, I'm old fashioned and stuck in my ways.  Don't get me wrong, there are other fine soaps out there and at one time or another, I have tried most of them.  But I always come back to my MWF.  Heart

179 23,928
 12-06-2016, 02:16 PM
User Info
I love MWF. The lather, the slickness, the post-shave are all superior. Also, when combined with Captain Black tobacco...it's even better! I even have another batch curing right now.  Icon_popcorn  BTW, I see nothing "Old-Fashioned" about using and enjoying a proven, quality soap...

39 3,948
 12-06-2016, 02:22 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
Awesome lather, super slick under the blade, burned my face like fire.

4 194
 12-06-2016, 02:22 PM
User Info
Haslinger Schafmilch shaving soap with sheep milk and lanolin is a good alternative for those who like the concept but have issues with the lather and/or the scent of MWF.

24 1,226
 12-06-2016, 02:33 PM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 02:22 PM)dajmacd Wrote: Awesome lather, super slick under the blade, burned my face like fire.
May I ask: where were you with your razor technique when you had trouble with MWF? I only ask, because I blamed burning on lanolin when I first returned to DE shaving, but in reality it was my technique. Now, I have zero issues with it. Perhaps it's time for you to revisit it?

39 3,948
 12-06-2016, 02:34 PM
User Info
I will always have "The Fat" in my rotation, yes there are soaps that perform as well and some even better on some days but there just is something about it that I really like.

6 1,400
 12-06-2016, 02:37 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I love the scent but I have not used MWF due to the inclusion of lanolin. Maybe one day I'll sneak a try.
As for Tabac, I think it gives a great shave and is slick as can be, but post-shave my face tends to burn all night.
Almond has always been the best of the DRH, probably due to the additional almond oil that is not present in their other soaps.

62 3,005
 12-06-2016, 02:54 PM
User Info
MWF was the only soap I used for a long time. Since acquiring a lot of different soaps, I only use it about once a week. Still haven't found a soap with a better post shave feel. Also, I enjoy the light scent. It's very fresh and clean.

2 144
 12-06-2016, 03:52 PM
User Info
I might need to revisit MWF sometime.  It has been about 6 years since i tried it. 

i remember the performance was hit or miss for me and it had an unusual scent, but that is about all i remember.

18 591
 12-06-2016, 07:01 PM
User Info
My status is "pending."  

Ordered my first MWF puck and it's scheduled to arrive day after tomorrow.  Really looking forward to trying it - though I first have to turn a lidded bowl for it.  Purchased a purpleheart blank I'm hoping to turn this weekend.

0 401
 12-06-2016, 07:13 PM
User Info
The ceramic container is epic. The post shave feel too.
The extra effort & time it takes to lather is not so epic. The stability of the lather not so epic as well. The scent, while clean & pleasant, is on the boring side.

In short, MWF is at the bottom of my 100's of soaps, and the bottom one is the first to leave, when I trim my soap collection next time.

I will NOT re-purchase MWF again.

24 6,018
 12-06-2016, 07:18 PM
User Info
It takes me too long to get a usable lather, although I really like the ceramic bowl. 

I pretty much just use it to defunk brushes anymore.

7 330
 12-06-2016, 07:25 PM
User Info
I like Mitchell's in the sense that it's the classic soap with the old school reputation. When I first got involved with wet shaving this soap along with MDC and tabac was it , there was not a single soap that could hang with these three that was produced at that time ....ok cella was there too. But when I use this soap it brings me back to the early days and I'm sure it would feel similar to driving around a 58' vette and other things that bring back old memories. Will I continue to buy it , sure every once in a while I'll pick some up. The beauty of my den in my eyes is it's ever changing , nothing sits on the shelf for very long. This allows me to acquire a lot of things in a short amount of time and not feel like I'm stocking.

63 1,596
 12-06-2016, 07:57 PM
User Info
When I first started out in this hobby about 5 years ago, I asked on another forum what guys thought was the best soap around. The answer was overwhelming MWF. 
I've been using MWF for a few years now. The first time I used it I knew it was the best. Back then I was still "puck lathering", no lather bowl. It only gets better. I have a lot of other soaps so I get away from it from time to time but every time I come back to it I realize it's still the best puck you can buy, IMO.

5 1,562