12-06-2016, 02:48 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
So, this is one of the most known B&M soaps. It's the Hallows soap! It's an autumn seasonal scent with so many fans. I had to buy it this year. A good friend recommended me this soap too.

The story behind the purchase. It was available on October but sold out very quickly. I didn't want to spend more money that month and had decided to pass on it. But, while I was browsing on Maggards site, I saw available 2 of them. Well, that was a sign I thought. I immediately purchased one of the two remaining soaps. The last one sold within the next few seconds. I thought it was a mistake or something else and sent a message to the customer service of the online shop to confirm my order. Within two minutes, they replied to me saying that they found 5 of them and offered them on their site. I can't believe my luck sometimes. This year was amazing regarding my purchases. I was fortunate enough to acquire some of the best products available, thanks to some gentlemen that share their knowledge and experiences with the members of some of the biggest online shaving forums, or fora, whatever you prefer.

I made the mistake and chose the new way of international shipping that this vendor is offering since October I think. Biggest mistake ever. The soap was delivered to me 4 weeks later than the purchase day. The tracking number wasn't working and I was almost sure that my package was lost. Fortunately, the package arrived today, but it was opened, it wasn't sealed like the previous times, someone opened it to check what was inside. On top of that, the soap was inside a very small cardboard box without bubble wrapping. Just the soap and a business card of the vendor. If it was a tin, it would have arrived dented, be sure for that. I am not going to send an email to the vendor regarding this matter, but I now know two things. It's better to spend $7-8 more on shipping costs to be sure that your soap will eventually arrive and that I will never buy a tin from Maggards Razors. A friend from Denmark( Hi, Claus!) reported that he recently received dented tins and plastic soap containers with broken lids. He sent a message to the vendor and he replied to him that the bubble wrapping would have not prevented such conditions. This is the most ridiculous answer I've ever heard from a vendor's mouth. It's just silly. I've sent dozens of packages to the States and all arrived safely because I had used a lot of bubble wrapping to fill the package. Otherwise, it's sure that problems will come up. It's a huge risk not to use bubble wrapping or other material to wrap the goods.

It's the new Glissant formula. Many gentlemen think that this formula is significantly better than the previous one. We'll see.

Scent description from Barrister & Mann site:

”Taking inspiration from the swamps of Boston, we combined vetiver, oakmoss, black pepper, cocoa, labdanum, and cedar to produce a deep, cold scent suited to the chilly, bitter days of late October. Gloomy, rich, and perversely elegant, Hallows is a reminder of why men once feared the dark.”

I like the scent. I'm not a huge fan of it, I generally prefer less complex scents but this one is pleasant. I mostly get vetiver and moss, in that order. I haven't used it yet, so maybe things will change. It's a dark and complex scent for sure.

I'm not a big fan of the label either, it's a skull xray, but I think I can live with that.

49 2,019
 12-06-2016, 02:54 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
 12-06-2016, 03:00 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Nick for some reason your photos are not uploaded correctly !

10 424
 12-06-2016, 03:01 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Ok now!

10 424
 12-06-2016, 03:03 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(12-06-2016, 03:00 PM)Bony Wrote: Nick for some reason your photos are not uploaded correctly !

Bony, you're right, that's why I posted them on a separate post. I copy pasted the article from my personal blog this time and an error occurred.

49 2,019
 12-06-2016, 03:09 PM
User Info
I liked the scent too, it's a bit complex, however it's a lot tamer than let's say... Night Music.. lol.

The scent of this one reminds me a bit of Leviathan.

I'm not a fan of the artwork as well, I felt sorry for the guy in the X-Ray to be honest, but I am sure, Will's intention was not to mock, so I can live it with as well. Perhaps his intention was to show something truly horrific, but done as an artwork.

The Glissant base is really good. I hope you enjoy it, Nick.

11 1,170
 12-06-2016, 03:24 PM
User Info
One thing to note about the Glissant base - it's much easier to load than the previous formula (or you don't need to load as much - whichever way you want to look at it).  If you load as much as the previous "white label" formula - be prepared to drown it in water.  Will advised to load half as long as you would've with the white label - I don't load that much less but still less than the previous formula.

2 107
 12-06-2016, 04:01 PM
User Info
Is that the new Glissant base? The ingredients differ from the website by quite a bit. I'm not talking about the fragrances used but things like kokum butter, palm kernel oil, coconut oil, sodium citrate, etc.

Compare the ingredients of the label of Hollows in the picture -

the ingredients from the website -

Ingredients: Potassium Stearate, Aqua, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Ricinoleate, Potassium Shea Butterate, Sodium Ricinoleate, Coconut Milk, Citrus limonium (Lemon) Oil, Fragrance, Elettaria cardamomum (Cardamom) Oil, Myristica Fragrans (Nutmeg) Kernel Oil, Sodium Shea Butterate, Carthamus tinctorius hybrid (Hybrid Safflower) Seed Oil, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Allantoin, Lanolin, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Citrate, Tocopherol Acetate, Hydrolyzed Silk Protein

Do they make more than one Glissant base?

0 165
 12-06-2016, 04:46 PM
User Info
Wait, so when you say opened you mean the soap seal, and not the actual package (as wouldn't be unreasonable for customs)? Because that is a little weird or even shady.

6 806
 12-06-2016, 04:49 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(12-06-2016, 03:09 PM)1Geralt Wrote: I liked the scent too, it's a bit complex, however it's a lot tamer than let's say... Night Music.. lol.

The scent of this one reminds me a bit of Leviathan.

I'm not a fan of the artwork as well, I felt sorry for the guy in the X-Ray to be honest, but I am sure, Will's intention was not to mock, so I can live it with as well. Perhaps his intention was to show something truly horrific, but done as an artwork.

The Glissant base is really good. I hope you enjoy it, Nick.

Thank you, Jay!

(12-06-2016, 04:01 PM)bennett Wrote: Is that the new Glissant base? The ingredients differ from the website by quite a bit. I'm not talking about the fragrances used but things like kokum butter, palm kernel oil, coconut oil, sodium citrate, etc.

Compare the ingredients of the label of Hollows in the picture -

the ingredients from the website -

Ingredients: Potassium Stearate, Aqua, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Ricinoleate, Potassium Shea Butterate, Sodium Ricinoleate, Coconut Milk, Citrus limonium (Lemon) Oil, Fragrance, Elettaria cardamomum (Cardamom) Oil, Myristica Fragrans (Nutmeg) Kernel Oil, Sodium Shea Butterate, Carthamus tinctorius hybrid (Hybrid Safflower) Seed Oil, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Allantoin, Lanolin, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Citrate, Tocopherol Acetate, Hydrolyzed Silk Protein

Do they make more than one Glissant base?

I read that they printed the old ingredients list, instead of the new one. It seems amateur but it happens I guess.

(12-06-2016, 04:46 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Wait, so when you say opened you mean the soap seal, and not the actual package (as wouldn't be unreasonable for customs)? Because that is a little weird or even shady.

I mean both. I didn't like that. At all.

49 2,019
 12-06-2016, 04:53 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(12-06-2016, 03:24 PM)chill31613 Wrote: One thing to note about the Glissant base - it's much easier to load than the previous formula (or you don't need to load as much - whichever way you want to look at it).  If you load as much as the previous "white label" formula - be prepared to drown it in water.  Will advised to load half as long as you would've with the white label - I don't load that much less but still less than the previous formula.

Thanks for the advice!

49 2,019
 12-06-2016, 05:07 PM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 04:53 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(12-06-2016, 03:24 PM)chill31613 Wrote: One thing to note about the Glissant base - it's much easier to load than the previous formula (or you don't need to load as much - whichever way you want to look at it).  If you load as much as the previous "white label" formula - be prepared to drown it in water.  Will advised to load half as long as you would've with the white label - I don't load that much less but still less than the previous formula.

Thanks for the advice!

Sure thing!  

Also - just my opinion but I really think you should provide your feedback to Maggard's.  I understand that you will not be doing business with them anymore, but your feedback combined with the feedback they received from Claus might help them get their act together with international packaging.  Whether they do anything or not - at least they know Claus isn't the only not happy with their international order.

2 107
 12-06-2016, 06:51 PM
User Info

Thanks for the advice!

I load heavy and water heavy. Hasn't failed me yet. I tried the halllws and quickly moved it on as I continue to become nauseated at the scent of vetiver. However the soap was great. I bought the Seville and the first snow (and cologne russe which i didn't like the scent of but that's okay). They perform and smell great!

90 904
 12-06-2016, 07:42 PM
User Info
(12-06-2016, 06:51 PM)chromedometone Wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

I load heavy and water heavy. Hasn't failed me yet. I tried the halllws and quickly moved it on as I continue to become nauseated at the scent of vetiver. However the soap was great. I bought the Seville and the first snow (and cologne russe which i didn't like the scent of but that's okay). They perform and smell great!

Yeah, I loaded heavy with LGC when it first came out. I lathered/added water forever just to get it where I like it haha I just mentioned it because the new formula is easy to overload and under water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 107
 12-10-2016, 12:27 PM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Re: The Artwork... Hallows is timed and named to play up "All Hallows Day" commonly called "Halloween" in the States. Ties in with "All Saints Day" in the Christian calendar, as well. The Halloween holiday is associated with the occult - spooky stuff and is liberally laced with ghosts, hobgoblins, sculls, crossbones and the like. I'm pretty sure this is the audience and genre that B&M had in mind when introducing Hallows. Halloween began as a childrens sort of holiday, but recently has caught on with adults and judging by Hallows' success I guess B&M properly "read the market"!

0 363
 12-10-2016, 12:38 PM
User Info
Skulls, Grim Reaper, and such…not a fan. Respect for the dead though I'm a bigger fan of life and the living.
I'm not sure where to dip my toe in with B&M or if I ever will at all. I know for one that Hallows will not be the one.

Thanks for sharing!

~Royce

4 384
 12-10-2016, 12:49 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
My opinion is that the problem with some B&M soaps is not their labels, but the scents that are very complex and you don't know what to expect. The descriptions are not very helpful.

49 2,019
 12-10-2016, 06:56 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
I don't thank they will make hallows again. Sad cause I like it.

5 527
 12-10-2016, 07:40 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(12-10-2016, 12:49 PM)nikos.a Wrote: My opinion is that the problem with some B&M soaps is not their labels, but the scents that are very complex and you don't know what to expect. The descriptions are not very helpful.

Complex = hype = crap, IMO.
I could care less about labels.

102 18,669
 12-10-2016, 07:54 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-10-2016, 07:40 PM)Agravic Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 12:49 PM)nikos.a Wrote: My opinion is that the problem with some B&M soaps is not their labels, but the scents that are very complex and you don't know what to expect. The descriptions are not very helpful.

Complex = hype = crap, IMO.
I could care less about labels.

Lol!

62 3,012