12-07-2016, 07:31 AM
User Info
Just curious to hear your experience with iKon (not the proprietor, but the actual hardware).  How many of his razors have you tried?  How many do you currently own?  Which is/are your favorite(s)? 

I'll start.  

I have tried the Deluxe OC, the H2O, the Shavecraft 101 and 102, the SBS, and a prototype Pils copy with a knurled handle.  

The Deluxe OC was a pretty good shaver, but the open combs were sharper than I would have liked them to be, and it had a little bit of a "wavy blade" problem.  When I scored a Gillette NEW Deluxe, I sold the iKon version.  I found the Gillette version superior in every way, although one side of it also has a bit of a wavy blade.  

The H2O I borrowed.  I like it, but it was easy to load the blade incorrectly.  

I owned a Shavecraft 102, but ended up selling it.  It wasn't a bad razor, but it didn't offer anything extra to me.  I use a Gillette slide for almost all strokes, so the canting of the head didn't help much and actually confused me sometimes.  

I still have the other three.  

The SBS is interesting, but I don't use it much.  I don't feel much difference no matter which side of the baseplate I put down (or up), and I can't really tell a difference from side-to-side.  I thought this one would be just like a Tradere, but I found the Tradere to be considerably smoother.  I think one of the problems with this razor is that it is just too heavy.  YMMV.

The Shavecraft 101 is a wonderful razor; fairly mild but well balanced, and it shaves great.  It is possible to load the blade crooked, and I find the SB side to be more aggressive than the OC side; I use one problem to solve the other.  I purposely load the blade as far toward the open comb side as possible.  Aligns perfectly, and makes the two sides almost exactly the same in aggression.  One of my favorite razors.   This one is highly underrated, in my opinion.  

The Pils copy I have is a wonderful shaver; very mild, very smooth.  Loading a blade is a pain in the butt, but other than that this is a great razor.  Beautiful, and a pleasure to use.  

Your turn.

2 1,557
 12-07-2016, 08:51 AM
User Info
iKon stainless steel slant:

[Image: P1080155.jpg]

Alignment blade problems. Didn't shave better than my €30 Merkur 37C. Sold.

iKon OSS stainless steel:

[Image: P1080490.jpg]

Not bad, but didn't care much for the asymmetrical design. In fact, I preferred the closed comb side - turning it into some kind of SE blade. However, I couldn't justify its presence in my shave den, so I ended up selling it.

That was 2-3 years ago. Haven't bought any other iKon since then.

2 5,548
 12-07-2016, 11:14 AM
User Info
(12-07-2016, 07:31 AM)kingfisher Wrote: The Deluxe OC was a pretty good shaver, but the open combs were sharper than I would have liked them to be, and it had a little bit of a "wavy blade" problem.  When I scored a Gillette NEW Deluxe, I sold the iKon version.  I found the Gillette version superior in every way, although one side of it also has a bit of a wavy blade.  

I owned a Shavecraft 102, but ended up selling it.  It wasn't a bad razor, but it didn't offer anything extra to me.  I use a Gillette slide for almost all strokes, so the canting of the head didn't help much and actually confused me sometimes.  

The Shavecraft 101 is a wonderful razor; fairly mild but well balanced, and it shaves great.  It is possible to load the blade crooked, and I find the SB side to be more aggressive than the OC side; I use one problem to solve the other.  I purposely load the blade as far toward the open comb side as possible.  Aligns perfectly, and makes the two sides almost exactly the same in aggression.  One of my favorite razors.   This one is highly underrated, in my opinion.  
I had the DLC OC/SB, 102, and 101.
DLC OC - This was my main razor for a long time.  Very smooth and efficient with the right blade.  No issues with waviness.  However, I came across a rhodium-plated Gillette NEW SC that shaved very similar and decided to pass the iKon along.  I also dig the lighter weight of the Gillette.
DLC SB - Harsh.  I don't know if this one has the wavy blade problem.  I much preferred the OC plate, so the SB plate stayed in the drawer.  Got rid of the plate along with the OC head.
102 - Shaved very good with the right blade, but felt weird.  I prefer to feel the head of the razor (like some tactile feedback from the head), but felt nothing with the 102.  Got rid of it.
101 - I was hoping to get the same shave but feel the razor more with the 101.  I kinda got that with the OC side, but not really.  And both sides shaved the same.  Got rid of it.  
Aside from the DLC SB, they all shaved fine.  But my RAD is directed towards vintage DE/SE razors and modern SEs.

2 107
 12-07-2016, 11:17 AM
User Info
(12-07-2016, 07:31 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Just curious to hear your experience with iKon (not the proprietor, but the actual hardware).  How many of his razors have you tried?  How many do you currently own?  Which is/are your favorite(s)? 

I'll start.  

I have tried the Deluxe OC, the H2O, the Shavecraft 101 and 102, the SBS, and a prototype Pils copy with a knurled handle.  

The Deluxe OC was a pretty good shaver, but the open combs were sharper than I would have liked them to be, and it had a little bit of a "wavy blade" problem.  When I scored a Gillette NEW Deluxe, I sold the iKon version.  I found the Gillette version superior in every way, although one side of it also has a bit of a wavy blade.  

The H2O I borrowed.  I like it, but it was easy to load the blade incorrectly.  

I still have the other three.  

The SBS is interesting, but I don't use it much.  I don't feel much difference no matter which side of the baseplate I put down (or up), and I can't really tell a difference from side-to-side.  I thought this one would be just like a Tradere, but I found the Tradere to be considerably smoother.  I think one of the problems with this razor is that it is just too heavy.  YMMV.

The Pils copy I have is a wonderful shaver; very mild, very smooth.  Loading a blade is a pain in the butt, but other than that this is a great razor.  Beautiful, and a pleasure to use.  

Your turn.

I agree with you on the 101. It's a nice smooth shave and is underrated IMO.

7 568
 12-07-2016, 12:33 PM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
I've had the "modern" (late 2014/2015) SB and OC heads, in satin finish, as well as a satin OSS and a Shavecraft 101.  

I have both an 85mm satin iKon Bulldog handle and a satin OSS handle, which get moved around to other razors, as well as my iKon heads.

The iKon SB and OC are gone, as the SB was way to aggressive for me, and the OC shaved similarly to the OSS "open" side, and didn't seem as "pretty".

I kept the OSS, as it keeps me from spending way too much money on a Gillette England "hybrid" Tech, or a Gillette England "flat bottom" tech, which are both well mimicked by the OSS "bar" side.

I find the 101 shaves similar to, but a bit better than the OSS.   Both are mild, in the vein of a Gillette Tech and, as others have observed, I find the 101 shaves near identically on both sides of the head.

Good razors, in regular rotation with several other DEs.  I reach for the 101 more than the OSS.

1 111
 12-07-2016, 12:43 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-07-2016, 07:31 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Just curious to hear your experience with iKon (not the proprietor, but the actual hardware).  How many of his razors have you tried?  

Two.

(12-07-2016, 07:31 AM)kingfisher Wrote: How many do you currently own?  Which is/are your favorite(s)? 

Answer to both questions is both of them.  

After nine months of using a Standard Razors razor (which had been my first DE after four decades of using various brands of cartridge razors), I purchased a blem iKon DLC Stainless Slant head (only) direct from iKon, which I paired with a Maggard MR5 bamboo-style handle.  From Day One, I found that combo superior to the Standard Razors razor:  more efficient, and much less likely to produce a nick or weeper.  (That was a surprise:  I expected a slant to be more dangerous than a non-slant.)  The “blem” aspect of the iKon head comprised minor chips or flakes in the DLC coating on two corners of the top cap, and on one corner of the baseplate; the coating chips do not affect the performance of the razor in any way.  I read of others’ issues with blade alignment, and, in fact, if the razor is assembled normally and screwed down tight, the edge of the blade will never be parallel with the edge of the top cap.  However:  
  •  Unscrewing the handle 1/8 turn, nudging the edge of the blade (NOT with a fingertip!), and screwing the handle tight again, is a complete fix; or
  •  Holding the baseplate and top cap at the ends where the blade tabs would emerge if the top cap were not as wide as the blade, while screwing the assembly tight, avoids the alignment “problem” in the first instance; and
  •  The razor shaves pretty much the same whether or not the blade edge is exactly parallel to the edge of the top cap, so what’s the big deal?
A year after that, I purchased another blem, again directly from iKon, this time a DLC Deluxe Open Comb baseplate (only).  I bought that after I already had decided to purchase a Feather AS-D2 razor, in the knowledge that the iKon open comb baseplate was fully interchangeable with the native Feather solid bar baseplate, so effectively I was purchasing two different razors for much less than the purchase price of two razors.  I have not discovered yet — and probably never shall — what about that “blem” iKon baseplate caused it to be sold as a blem.  As Kingfisher does, I find the leading edge of the teeth of the iKon open comb baseplate to be sharper than optimal, but that is a matter of personal preference, I guess.  The iKon open comb baseplate gives scant underside support to the blade above it, so that baseplate is not a good match for thin profile blades like the Feathers; it works much better with inherently stiffer blades like the KAI blades.  

These days, I shave mostly with the Feather in its native configuration, but when I am using KAI blades, I will swap in the iKon DLC Deluxe Open Comb baseplate fairly regularly:  maybe 20 to 30 percent of the shaves, and it gives me a very different experience with the AS-D2 razor; I never swap in the iKon baseplate when I am using Feather blades.  

I still have the iKon DLC Stainless Slant; and I still use it from time to time; but it definitely has become back of the shelf relative to the Feather AS-D2 with its alternate baseplates.

Overall, then, my experience with blemished iKons has been a positive one, and I would have no hesitation recommending either a Stainless Slant (with any of the possible coatings) or a Deluxe Open Comb to someone else.

1 1,110
 12-07-2016, 12:54 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I owned the stainless slant and ended up selling it, but I don't remember why.

I currently own both the 102 and 103 slant razors and am pleased with both.  They are both good values and efficient, mild razors.  I'm not tempted by anything else in their arsenal as I own a lot of vintage razors, which most of their designs are based on, and I despise dual-comb razors so none of those even slightly tempt me.

149 2,823
 12-08-2016, 03:44 PM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
I own or have owned almost every iKon razor made (not rare one off's) - SBS being my favorite and in my top three rotation. iKon is the brand that always stands out in the long haul for me. BBS-1 is my all-time number 1 DE and I am a straight edge aficionado as well. I have several iKon's that I will never sell or trade - SBS, slants and at least one bulldog handle (I have several).

28 666
 12-08-2016, 03:52 PM
User Info
I've tried the slant, both stainless and doc, which was decent but I sold off all 3 before I ever was fully comfortable. They had a lot of potential but were tricky on the neck.

I also had the oc in matte stainless which was a nice efficient razor and I had a dlc sb and matte sb base plate. The dlc safety bar base plate was my favorite and was very efficient. It could bite if you were not careful, worked very well with Gillette platinums. I let my father 'borrow' it when I purchased a mongoose and I've never seen it since, that was about a year ago? I never said the words you can have this, but he quickly switched from his muhle r89 that I bought him to the ikon and has never looked back. I miss that razor from time to time but I am currently really enjoying the colonel general

28 777
 12-09-2016, 06:04 AM
User Info
I have had 5 iKon razors including duplicates of the same razor.  QC was inconsistent at best.  One version of the razor was overly mild while the other was unsuitably aggressive.  Also all 3 versions of his flat bottom deluxe razor that I owned had wavy blades and shaved for shit.   I did like the handles Greg puts out, but that is about it.  I have had a tuckaway and a copy of a fat tech handle he made.  I posted critical reviews of his products and he blocked me from purchasing anything.  I really don't have a high opinion of Greg or the razors he puts out...

Here is one of the Old Type clones.
[Image: ikon_zpsxqsxfu51.jpg?t=1481205468]

18 591
 12-09-2016, 06:19 AM
  • gagarin
  • Student of Stainless
  • Pelotillehue
User Info
I've had great luck with Greg and his razors.  In my experience, he produces fine, innovative products that are great value for the money.  My favorite is the iKon OC Deluxe 2010 LE, edged only in shaving goodness by my BBS-1.  Mine is #07.

[Image: 009.jpg]

1 96
 12-09-2016, 11:06 AM
User Info
Awesome information, guys.  Thanks.  

I've always been curious about the Tech clones that he made in limited numbers a long time ago.  They look beautiful.  How do they shave?

2 1,557
 12-09-2016, 12:51 PM
User Info
Ikon Slant 1st Gen. is one of the best razor made ever for me! 

[Image: lUbn6rd.jpg]

3 109
 12-09-2016, 11:07 PM
User Info
I have 2 and have been using them regularly.

iKon Deluxe OC (Matte Satin Finish) w/ Bulldog Handle - Excellent razor, in my opinion. Nice overall feel and balance. No more or less efficient than many other razors.

iKon B1 Standard w / Bulldog Handle - Extremely aggressive, in my opinion. The most challenging razor I have ever used. It's very difficult for me to finish a shave without at least a few weepers. I have accomplished a few bloodless shaves, but it's rare. I love the challenge.

I have not noticed any blade alignment or other blade related problems. Both razor are solid, all around. The only minor issues I have found is slight tea staining with the Matte Satin coating and coating wear on my B1 top cap.

I realize Greg truly believes that stainless does stain at some point or in certain conditions, thus his reasoning for coating. In my experience, if stainless razors are cleaned regularly and kept dry (as much as possible), staining should never be an issue.

0 122
 12-16-2016, 06:57 AM
User Info
I had 3, sold one.

Shavecraft 101 is a nice razor, a copy of the vintage Emir Razor.
Really not bad, but does not see much usage here.

Original stainless steel slant: you'll find elsewhere in this forum my comments regarding this piece of s**t. Sorry for the hard words, but the blade would never align in this head and cut me several times before I noticed why.

[Image: 9d7dad00e37dd387efa884b083cf8d56.jpg]

Look at this and you 'll know that this can never work:

[Image: 306afa29c21e19f3a4682e076f0958f5.jpg]

I sent it back.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 90
 12-16-2016, 07:10 AM
User Info
Then there is Ikon's Gillette clone, an dlc open comb I like a lot.
Very fine shaves, no problems with the coating and imo quite nice looking with Jürgen Hempel's titanium handle:

[Image: 214f7891c9f33e15e6ae791e214b0d48.jpg]

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 90