12-07-2016, 11:46 AM
User Info
Can we get a like button please?

Not a dislike, hate or meh, but just a like button.

Reason because if I am reading a post I may totally agree with it or like it but I do not wish to post a response.

I would like to give my fellow shave enthusiasts a virtual high five sometimes.

0 143
 12-07-2016, 11:53 AM
User Info
 12-07-2016, 11:59 AM
User Info
I cannot find the thread right now, but I'm fairly sure this was discussed in the past. If I recall correctly, we don't have one due to both software limitations and a desire not to be FaceBook - again, this was a while ago.

3 4,272
 12-07-2016, 12:04 PM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
I don't know how many times I instinctively go to hit like, and then remember-ooops!  There is no like button.

42 578
 12-07-2016, 04:21 PM
User Info
(12-07-2016, 11:46 AM)White Tuna Wrote: Can we get a like button please?

Not a dislike, hate or meh, but just a like button.

Reason because if I am reading a post I may totally agree with it or like it but I do not wish to post a response.

I would like to give my fellow shave enthusiasts a virtual high five sometimes.

God, do I wish! That would be amazing!

16 230
 12-07-2016, 04:32 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(12-07-2016, 11:59 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I cannot find the thread right now, but I'm fairly sure this was discussed in the past. If I recall correctly, we don't have one due to both software limitations and a desire not to be FaceBook - again, this was a while ago.

Yes, we prefer to encourage written responses. I guess you could always add a poll...do you like my post...yes or no. Biggrin

45 17,791
 12-07-2016, 06:41 PM
User Info
Why turn this otherwise fine forum into some sort of social media derivative? "Liking" a post adds nothing substantive to a discussion, and only encourages people to obsess over their popularity in internetland. This detracts from the spirit of having a lively discussion.

3 192
 12-07-2016, 06:46 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(12-07-2016, 06:41 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: Why turn this otherwise fine forum into some sort of social media derivative? "Liking" a post adds nothing substantive to a discussion, and only encourages people to obsess over their popularity in internetland. This detracts from the spirit of having a lively discussion.

Agreed.

102 18,438
 12-07-2016, 07:21 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(12-07-2016, 06:46 PM)Agravic Wrote:
(12-07-2016, 06:41 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: Why turn this otherwise fine forum into some sort of social media derivative? "Liking" a post adds nothing substantive to a discussion, and only encourages people to obsess over their popularity in internetland. This detracts from the spirit of having a lively discussion.

Agreed.
+2 If I wanted Facebook, I'd go there.  Substituting the Like button for having to hit more than one key in an intelligent order is, well, like  (fill in the blank, my impulse isn't gentlemanly)

41 449
 12-07-2016, 07:56 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
 12-08-2016, 04:59 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
(12-07-2016, 12:04 PM)ddk13 Wrote: I don't know how many times I instinctively go to hit like, and then remember-ooops!  There is no like button.

I just looked for it for your post and I know it doesn't exist. Ha.

7 438
 12-08-2016, 05:50 AM
User Info
I participate in Fora with and without a "like" button. I suspect most members robotically hit the like button often-times without having read the entire post, if at all. It's not necessary IMO. However, if it would dissuade trolls, I'd be all for it. 

38 3,735
 12-08-2016, 06:31 AM
User Info

I kind of a agree with this but likes could be anonymous and not viewable by others so you do not have a "Like" contest.

I am sure I have an early Twitter account but have never used it, am not sure if I have myspace or facebook accounts but regardless I never use those either.  Social media is just not my thing.  But I do attend a watch forum that has a like button and I appreciate it.

If I "like" a post it does not increase or decrease my personal chance to respond to a post.  I think the thing that keeps me from responding more than anything is my lack of knowledge and experience compared to others.  I mean I am pretty much down to two main soaps and some outliers, two razors, two blades and one brush even though I have a good variety of brushes in the stable. 

Thank you for the responses all and have a great weekend!

0 143
 12-08-2016, 07:58 AM
User Info
I left Facebook due to the popularity contest that leaves me depressed. They call it social media; I've never seen such an antisocial bunch as FB. Bragging, bashing and lying, if I wanted that I'd watch the News (I haven't watched TV in ~5 years). If I see "Like" buttons on here; I'm outta here. I do HATE Facebook. I grow up in the age where people enjoyed each other's company enough that they talked on the phone, wrote a letter or sat down in person and chatted. I get on my wife for texting for an hour to the same person; and I tell her to just pick up the phone and call them. If I have so little time that can't jot down a note to someone on here, I shouldn't be on here. I'm not here for "likes"; I'm here for information, discussion, and friendly chat.

0 595
 12-08-2016, 09:08 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-08-2016, 07:58 AM)GreeneMD Wrote: I left Facebook due to the popularity contest that leaves me depressed. They call it social media; I've never seen such an antisocial bunch as FB. Bragging, bashing and lying, if I wanted that I'd watch the News (I haven't watched TV in ~5 years). If I see "Like" buttons on here; I'm outta here. I do HATE Facebook. I grow up in the age where people enjoyed each other's company enough that they talked on the phone, wrote a letter or sat down in person and chatted. I get on my wife for texting for an hour to the same person; and I tell her to just pick up the phone and call them. If I have so little time that can't jot down a note to someone on here, I shouldn't be on here. I'm not here for "likes"; I'm here for information, discussion, and friendly chat.

I can certainly agree with this.  Don't get me started on texting.

175 23,757
 12-08-2016, 10:50 AM
User Info
(12-08-2016, 09:08 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(12-08-2016, 07:58 AM)GreeneMD Wrote: I left Facebook due to the popularity contest that leaves me depressed. They call it social media; I've never seen such an antisocial bunch as FB. Bragging, bashing and lying, if I wanted that I'd watch the News (I haven't watched TV in ~5 years). If I see "Like" buttons on here; I'm outta here. I do HATE Facebook. I grow up in the age where people enjoyed each other's company enough that they talked on the phone, wrote a letter or sat down in person and chatted. I get on my wife for texting for an hour to the same person; and I tell her to just pick up the phone and call them. If I have so little time that can't jot down a note to someone on here, I shouldn't be on here. I'm not here for "likes"; I'm here for information, discussion, and friendly chat.

I can certainly agree with this.  Don't get me started on texting.

24  I do text in my line of work, short to the point. If it needs an explanation, I call.

0 595