12-08-2016, 06:46 AM
User Info
I remember buying my Merkur 34C, a sample pack of blades, a couple of TOBS creams and an inexpensive brush because I was not going to spend a ton of money on the multi-blade blades any more. Yeah, right!

11 razors, 5 brushes, a gazillion kinds of soap and after shave later, I can't believe how much this hobby has saved me in the expensive aloe strip multi-blade packs I used to buy.

Yep. I am way ahead Wink

0 40
 12-08-2016, 07:20 AM
User Info
I thought the exact same thing when I switched to DE 14 months ago from my Mach 3. I probably have not gone as far as you (Surveyor 1953) but I do have eight soaps, 3 brushes, 4 razors and about 10 aftershaves. I said to myself recently...no purchases for at least one year (except maybe a vintage Gillette :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 44
 12-08-2016, 08:17 AM
User Info
Well... you haven't been spending much money on multi-blade cartridges lately, have you? Mission accomplished Tongue

3 4,505
 12-08-2016, 08:35 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
And your quality of life is much higher!  Biggrin

113 1,496
 12-08-2016, 09:01 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Mathmatically sound idea

In theory it should work

In practice not so easy to accomplish without some great discipline.

7 450
 12-08-2016, 09:28 AM
User Info
It's called AD. This hobby tends to do that...

31 737
 12-08-2016, 01:46 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Save mon... What? There is no such thing in hobbies...

49 1,999
 12-08-2016, 02:33 PM
User Info
Depending how you look on things, I have spent around 500-600 in this hobby, and that  sets me to at least 20+ years of blades, life time razors, 5-10 years in soaps perhaps

* Razors*

- GEM 1912 Junior, GEM 1912 Senior, G-bar, MMOC, MMBT, MMCP, Gem Shovel head, Gem 1924 (all excellent condition)
- Rockwell 6s
- Rockwell Model T
- Supply provision injector 3 plates
- Razorock Wunderbar slant
- Fatip Grande
- Fatip Gentile
- Pearl TTO OC
- Pearl TTO SB

*Soaps*

- 5-6 Razorock, 8-9 Cremes, 5-6 Sticks

*Blades*

- 400 Personna GEM PTFE SS
- 320  Personna Injector PTFE SS
- 100 Gillette Silver Blue
- 100 Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (yellow) 
- 100 Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless (green)
- 100 Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (black)
- 100 Astra SP
- 100 Rockwell

In my case considering I was spending around $150 per year for cartridges, this 500-600 I have spent will last me and outlast me and I didn't even needed to spend that much if saving was on my mind. So in one word I splurged but in a long run I will still save and I know that is the  case because I don't see the reason to spend over 10K on gigantic collections. Also now I shave daily, before I was shaving every 2-3 days and I hated it.

0 199
 12-08-2016, 02:35 PM
User Info
Quite funny reading the original post, as it probably parallels so many other people's stories.  I know I did just fine saving money for 2 years after starting wet shaving.  Bought my Merkur Model 180, Proraso Cream, cheap badger brush, some Derby's and away I went.  Then I found this and another forum about 7 months ago.  Been nothing but AD's and budgeting ever since.   Facepalm

1 201
 12-08-2016, 04:24 PM
User Info
I may be spending more now, but I feel like I'm getting more for my money.

0 1,071
 12-08-2016, 04:55 PM
User Info
I think I spent more in the last year of wet shaving than I did my entire 35 years before that on shaving products   Facepalm

4 105
 12-09-2016, 04:41 AM
User Info
(12-08-2016, 06:46 AM)Surveyor 1953 Wrote: I remember buying my Merkur 34C, a sample pack of blades, a couple of TOBS creams and an inexpensive brush because I was not going to spend a ton of money on the multi-blade blades any more. Yeah, right!

11 razors, 5 brushes, a gazillion kinds of soap and after shave later, I can't believe how much this hobby has saved me in the expensive aloe strip multi-blade packs I used to buy.

Yep. I am way ahead Wink

I get what you're saying - but I think it's inaccurate to attempt to compare to compare two things (the sheer indulgence of wet shaving and the hobby of collecting wet shaving gear), as if they were one, to the duty of mass-market, multi-colored plastic razors and uber-expensive cartridges.

Pre-wetshaving, I shaved because I had to.  I shaved grudgingly.  I got it over as quick as I could.  I got no enjoyment from the experience, nothing memorable, nothing special from it (certainly not decent shaves).  Moreover, I despised having to shell out so much money for cheap plastic cartridges.  I put off those purchases for as long as I could, making them only when I absolutely had to.  And all that for sub-par shaves.  "BBS" was an unknown TLA back then.  I was lucky if my "5:00 shadow" didn't show up before noon.  I especially despised the near-monopoly that existed between 2 companies who basically took away all choice in shaving over 50 years ago.  Frankly, it offended me.

On a strictly cost-per-shave basis, wet-shaving is hands-down the winner.  Hands down.  No arguments whatsoever.  

It's arguable I suppose which is the better shave - but I know I've never touted my cartridge shaves, nor have I ever heard anyone else tout their cartridge shave.  Ever.  And no offense to some here, but I certainly never joined an on-line forum to talk about the joys of cartridge shaving with cheap multi-colored plastic razors and uber-expensive cartridges.  And frankly, I suspect it was wet-shaving, and wet-shaving forums that first provided a venue for whomever might want to discuss cartridge shaving too.

Wet-shavers shave with one (1) razor, one (1) blade, one (1) soap/cream, one (1) brush
Cartridge-shavers shave with one (1) razor, one (1) cartridge, one (1) soap/cream/aerosol/gel, and [depending] one (1) brush

Where we differ is in the "hobby" (if you will).  Wet-shavers LIKE our gear.  We LIKE collecting, testing, trying, rotating between gear and soaps/creams.  We appreciate the quality of it.  And we especially like talking about it all, sharing with one another, friends, family, co-workers our purchases and experiences. 

Oh, I had a "collection" of a couple of multi-colored cheap plastic razors - but not by choice.  It was either because I couldn't remember what kind of cheap multi-colored plastic razor I had stowed beneath my sink and so had shelled out major bucks to purchase the wrong cartridges, which because of their uber-expense required I go back to the supermarket and purchase the matching multi-colored plastic razor for those cartridges OR because last year's model of cheap multi-colored plastic razor cartridges no longer fit my current model of cheap multi-colored plastic razor.

Best way to summarize the differences in shaving now:

"It's not a job... it's an adventure!"

0 377
 12-09-2016, 06:39 AM
User Info
(12-09-2016, 04:41 AM)Niemander Wrote:
(12-08-2016, 06:46 AM)Surveyor 1953 Wrote: I remember buying my Merkur 34C, a sample pack of blades, a couple of TOBS creams and an inexpensive brush because I was not going to spend a ton of money on the multi-blade blades any more. Yeah, right!

Yep. I am way ahead Wink

I get what you're saying - but I think it's inaccurate to attempt to compare to compare two things (the sheer indulgence of wet shaving and the hobby of collecting wet shaving gear), as if they were one, to the duty of mass-market, multi-colored plastic razors and uber-expensive cartridges.

Pre-wetshaving, I shaved because I had to.  I shaved grudgingly.  I got it over as quick as I could.  I got no enjoyment from the experience, nothing memorable, nothing special from it (certainly not decent shaves).  Moreover, I despised having to shell out so much money for cheap plastic cartridges.  I put off those purchases for as long as I could, making them only when I absolutely had to.  And all that for sub-par shaves.  "BBS" was an unknown TLA back then.  I was lucky if my "5:00 shadow" didn't show up before noon.  I especially despised the near-monopoly that existed between 2 companies who basically took away all choice in shaving over 50 years ago.  Frankly, it offended me.

On a strictly cost-per-shave basis, wet-shaving is hands-down the winner.  Hands down.  No arguments whatsoever.  

It's arguable I suppose which is the better shave - but I know I've never touted my cartridge shaves, nor have I ever heard anyone else tout their cartridge shave.  Ever.  And no offense to some here, but I certainly never joined an on-line forum to talk about the joys of cartridge shaving with cheap multi-colored plastic razors and uber-expensive cartridges.  And frankly, I suspect it was wet-shaving, and wet-shaving forums that first provided a venue for whomever might want to discuss cartridge shaving too.

Wet-shavers shave with one (1) razor, one (1) blade, one (1) soap/cream, one (1) brush
Cartridge-shavers shave with one (1) razor, one (1) cartridge, one (1) soap/cream/aerosol/gel, and [depending] one (1) brush

Where we differ is in the "hobby" (if you will).  Wet-shavers LIKE our gear.  We LIKE collecting, testing, trying, rotating between gear and soaps/creams.  We appreciate the quality of it.  And we especially like talking about it all, sharing with one another, friends, family, co-workers our purchases and experiences. 

Oh, I had a "collection" of a couple of multi-colored cheap plastic razors - but not by choice.  It was either because I couldn't remember what kind of cheap multi-colored plastic razor I had stowed beneath my sink and so had shelled out major bucks to purchase the wrong cartridges, which because of their uber-expense required I go back to the supermarket and purchase the matching multi-colored plastic razor for those cartridges OR because last year's model of cheap multi-colored plastic razor cartridges no longer fit my current model of cheap multi-colored plastic razor.

I agree 100% with this. I used to power through my shaves because I HAD to shave. I wouldn't shave if I wasn't working (I have never had a job that I didn't have to be clean shaven for, neatly trimmed military regulation mustaches excluded). I enjoy shaving now and shave on my days off. The difference now is that I WANT to shave, it is no longer a chore. 

Co-workers look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them how much I enjoy it, then I bring in one of my soaps and let them smell it and it peaks their curiosity. I have a spare brush that I will lend them along with a soap in a scent they enjoyed and I'll bring my Maggard MR8/West Coast 175S and let them check it out, most use their cartridge with the good soap first. Eventually they will ask to borrow the DE razor, I explain how to use it, throw a couple blades in the bag with it and show them a Nick Shaves video and they're hooked... 

"The first taste is always free" =P. I've converted 3 co-workers, and my brother to the full DE experience, and 2 co-workers to using good shave soap and a brush so far.

0 81
 12-09-2016, 09:08 AM
User Info
(12-09-2016, 06:39 AM)Trumble88 Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 04:41 AM)Niemander Wrote:

Yep. I am way ahead Wink

I agree 100% with this. I used to power through my shaves because I HAD to shave. I wouldn't shave if I wasn't working (I have never had a job that I didn't have to be clean shaven for, neatly trimmed military regulation mustaches excluded). I enjoy shaving now and shave on my days off. The difference now is that I WANT to shave, it is no longer a chore. 

Co-workers look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them how much I enjoy it, then I bring in one of my soaps and let them smell it and it peaks their curiosity. I have a spare brush that I will lend them along with a soap in a scent they enjoyed and I'll bring my Maggard MR8/West Coast 175S and let them check it out, most use their cartridge with the good soap first. Eventually they will ask to borrow the DE razor, I explain how to use it, throw a couple blades in the bag with it and show them a Nick Shaves video and they're hooked... 

"The first taste is always free" =P. I've converted 3 co-workers, and my brother to the full DE experience, and 2 co-workers to using good shave soap and a brush so far.

I concur with the posts here in that wet shaving can be done for much less than what it has become with my collection of razors, etc.  Point being that when this started out it really was to not have to spend the ridiculous amounts of money on replacement blades.  That would have been fine, but it became a hobby that is very enjoyable now and my wife just rolls her eyes at what shows up in the mail from time to time.

She should be up for sainthood. 

I also enjoy motorcycles and I laugh when friends say that they want a bike 'to save gas".  With three motorcycles in my garage, I know I MUST be saving thousands of gallons of gas a year.  Sounds kind of like the multi-blade savings argument.  I also understand that golf is an inexpensive hobby for some.......

0 40
 12-09-2016, 11:14 AM
User Info
I don't consider my self to be a collector, but I seem to be accumulating things as I try different items in an effort to find the proverbial perfect shave.  Isn't that part of how this all starts; a quest to get the perfect shave.

0 115
 12-09-2016, 11:45 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I opened this expecting to read that you switched back to Carts!  Laughing1

45 618
 12-09-2016, 12:16 PM
User Info
(12-09-2016, 11:14 AM)Nuki Man Wrote: I don't consider my self to be a collector, but I seem to be accumulating things as I try different items in an effort to find the proverbial perfect shave.  Isn't that part of how this all starts; a quest to get the perfect shave.

that's about right, N Man.  The quest goes kind of like this; How would this blade work in this razor?. Then it goes to how many shaves from this blade in this razor?  Can I get 5 shaves that are just as good in the new razor, which I am learning how to use.  Is it my technique or the blade? Maybe both.

Then it becomes which cream/soap works best with this razor/blade.

Then Brush. Then aftershave.  Ya gotta admire our persistence in search of enlightenment.

0 40
 12-09-2016, 12:17 PM
User Info
(12-09-2016, 11:45 AM)ddk13 Wrote: I opened this expecting to read that you switched back to Carts!  Laughing1

Never!
Wouldn't happen now because I still have to recoup all of my savings from the 400 Feather blades Wink

0 40
 12-09-2016, 01:34 PM
User Info
Based on all my shave purchases, I think every shave is costing me about $1. If I stopped buying today I could probably go 2 years without blades and 8 years without soap, at which time that would drop the per shave cost.

6 750
 12-09-2016, 05:29 PM
User Info
Money? Whazzat? Oh, you mean the green pieces of paper I used to have before I started traditional shaving... Biggrin

0 85