12-09-2016, 02:55 PM
User Info
Hello all,
Does anyone have any experience with this razor? I have one in the mail from Boolgoose and I wonder how aggressive it is. From a video from clean shaver I was informed that the pros will not do as well in it as the super pros or the Kai. On a DE I do prefer aggressive but on SE's I'd rather have medium. What concerns me, It's that is a hefty razor, tipping the scales at some 157gr, which might make it extra aggressive even with the mild or pro guard.
Any info please?

0 284
 12-09-2016, 03:25 PM
User Info
I had one and found it shaved extremely well. You have to unscrew the handle then remove the set screw in order to load (unload) a blade. It takes a little getting used to but I think it's well worth it. All Rocnel razors are heavy. They go all out making these razors out of 316 stainless steel. If I remember you need an Allen wrench (1/8") to unscrew the setscrew. If you don't have a set you can buy them very cheaply at Home Depot,etc.

121 13,126
 12-09-2016, 03:34 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(12-09-2016, 03:25 PM)slantman Wrote: I had one and found it shaved extremely well. You have to unscrew the handle then remove the set screw in order to load (unload) a blade. It takes a little getting used to but I think it's well worth it. All Rocnel razors are heavy. They go all out making these razors out of 316 stainless steel. If I remember you need an Allen wrench (1/8") to unscrew the setscrew. If you don't have a set you can buy them very cheaply at Home Depot,etc.

You no longer need an Allen wrench. The screw unscrews easily with your fingers.

46 18,376
 12-09-2016, 03:37 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Kypros, there are a couple of threads here that you might find helpful. I've also made a comparison thread.

In a nutshell, it's a nice razor, not as smooth as the Asylum Rx, but it gives some good shaves. You won't be disappointed. For its price, it's probably the best SE option. But, the main disadvantage is its weight, it's really heavy. You can also use it as a hammer.

By the way, the Pros shave fine. I tend to disagree most of the times with Youtubers, that's why I stopped watching videos a long time ago.

49 1,999
 12-10-2016, 12:04 PM
User Info
(12-09-2016, 03:37 PM)nikos.a Wrote: Kypros, there are a couple of threads here that you might find helpful. I've also made a comparison thread.

In a nutshell, it's a nice razor, not as smooth as the Asylum Rx, but it gives some good shaves. You won't be disappointed. For its price, it's probably the best SE option. But, the main disadvantage is its weight, it's really heavy. You can also use it as a hammer.

By the way, the Pros shave fine. I tend to disagree most of the times with Youtubers, that's why I stopped watching videos a long time ago.

Thank you Nico,

this is encouraging, your experience with it.
I've read your other posts on the Rocnel. I'll see when it arrives how good it is for my skin. Good to know it can accommodate the pro.
Then thinking out loud, why do I need another SE if I have the RX which is utter perfection for me? Well I'll probably shave with the Rocnel once and then put it on the rack with the rest of them cursing myself why I haven't used the RX instead. I guess my RAD is still alive and kicking.

0 284
 12-15-2016, 07:24 AM
User Info
You can find some of my reviews on this razor in other threads with SE50 in it.  I love this razor even though it is quite heavy.  I use a titanium Jurgen Hempel handle with it to reduce the weight.  It's very smooth and is second to the Asylum Rx in my SE rotation.  I put it slightly above the ATT SE1/SE2 in efficiency and smoothness.  The load/unload blade way takes some getting use to and I have used a Feather Pro and a Kai Captain Mild blade and love both.  Great razor!!

0 878
 12-15-2016, 07:51 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(12-15-2016, 07:24 AM)gmhjr06 Wrote: You can find some of my reviews on this razor in other threads with SE50 in it.  I love this razor even though it is quite heavy.  I use a titanium Jurgen Hempel handle with it to reduce the weight.  It's very smooth and is second to the Asylum Rx in my SE rotation.  I put it slightly above the ATT SE1/SE2 in efficiency and smoothness.  The load/unload blade way takes some getting use to and I have used a Feather Pro and a Kai Captain Mild blade and love both.  Great razor!!

After trying the Asylum, I rarely use the Rocnel.

The titanium handle doesn't change the balance of the razor? Did you notice any differences in the aggressiveness and performance of the head?

49 1,999