43 2,016
 02-25-2018, 06:00 AM
  • jar
User Info
Maybe just mostly dead.

0 252
 02-25-2018, 06:17 AM
User Info
I signed up on Day one to his list. Never heard a thing and frankly forgot about it until I saw this post resurrected. Stuff like this is why I don't buy artisan hardware or software, participate in shaving kick starters etc. Hyped today ...gone tomorrow. I know I can always get a Gillette tech, Dovo 5/8th, commercial soap, Old Spice AS, Omega brush and Simpson badger.

3 812
 02-25-2018, 07:08 AM
User Info
(02-25-2018, 06:17 AM)SteelTown Wrote: I signed up on Day one to his list. Never heard a thing and frankly forgot about it until I saw this post resurrected. Stuff like this is why I don't buy artisan hardware or software, participate in shaving kick starters etc. Hyped today ...gone tomorrow. I know I can always get a Gillette tech, Dovo 5/8th, commercial soap, Old Spice AS, Omega brush and Simpson badger.

“We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it and stop there lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove lid again and that is well but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore.”

-- Mark Twain

3 1,122
 02-25-2018, 07:14 AM
User Info
Ken, The Varlet was a great concept and many of us were disappointed that it apparently didn't work out.

Now, I'll ask you the big question.

Is Paladin considering tying it's own knots?

51 7,400
 02-25-2018, 07:15 AM
User Info
(02-25-2018, 07:08 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 06:17 AM)SteelTown Wrote: I signed up on Day one to his list. Never heard a thing and frankly forgot about it until I saw this post resurrected. Stuff like this is why I don't buy artisan hardware or software, participate in shaving kick starters etc. Hyped today ...gone tomorrow. I know I can always get a Gillette tech, Dovo 5/8th, commercial soap, Old Spice AS, Omega brush and Simpson badger.

“We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it and stop there lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove lid again and that is well but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore.”

-- Mark Twain

Lol. Good one. This cat has sat down on quite a few shaving related stove lids over the years.

3 812
 02-25-2018, 07:16 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
 02-25-2018, 07:29 AM
User Info
(02-25-2018, 07:14 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Ken, The Varlet was a great concept and many of us were disappointed that it apparently didn't work out.

Yes. But, if we ever do, it will take time. I just don't think it's something that's mastered quickly or easily. 

I understand many were disappointed that the Varlet's venture didn't pan out as expected. But that experience doesn't support a categorical inference applicable to all artisan makers.

3 1,122
 02-25-2018, 07:35 AM
User Info
(02-25-2018, 07:15 AM)SteelTown Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 07:08 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote: I signed up on Day one to his list. Never heard a thing and frankly forgot about it until I saw this post resurrected. Stuff like this is why I don't buy artisan hardware or software, participate in shaving kick starters etc. Hyped today ...gone tomorrow. I know I can always get a Gillette tech, Dovo 5/8th, commercial soap, Old Spice AS, Omega brush and Simpson badger.

-- Mark Twain

Lol. Good one. This cat has sat down on quite a few shaving related stove lids over the years.
[/quote]

I don't doubt that at all.

Amazingly, I remember that quote from an Outward Bound trip in Joshua Tree in 1987. But I can't remember what I was looking for 30 seconds ago.

3 1,122
 02-25-2018, 07:45 AM
User Info
(02-25-2018, 07:29 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 07:14 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Ken, The Varlet was a great concept and many of us were disappointed that it apparently didn't work out.

Yes. But, if we ever do, it will take time. I just don't think it's something that's mastered quickly or easily. 

I understand many were disappointed that the Varlet's venture didn't pan out as expected. But that experience doesn't support a categorical inference applicable to all artisan makers.

Ken my choice is not condemning the work, talent or intent of artisan makers. Arlo and many artisans probably had the best of intentions in starting their projects.  It's just that the scene has changed a lot over the past 30 years and I tend to stick to the tried and true rather than constantly looking for the next best thing or hottest buzz on the forums. The market is so saturated and overloaded now it's hard to keep up and I really don't have the energy to try. I use products that I know work for me and buy from manufacturers and vendors that have a long track record. I wish all new start-ups the best and if they are still here a decade from now I might buy their product.

3 812
 02-25-2018, 07:50 AM
User Info
(02-25-2018, 07:45 AM)SteelTown Wrote: Ken my choice is not condemning the work, talent or intent of artisan makers. Arlo and many artisans probably had the best of intentions in starting their projects.  It's just that the scene has changed a lot over the past 30 years and I tend to stick to the tried and true rather than constantly looking for the next best thing or hottest buzz on the forums. The market is so saturated and overloaded now it's hard to keep up and I really don't have the energy to try. I use products that I know work for me and buy from manufacturers and vendors that have a long track record. I wish all new start-ups the best and if they are still here a decade from now I might buy their product.

I completely respect your choice. Full stop.

I just don't think it's fair to paint all artisan makers with the same broad brush. There are many that have built considerable bodies of work and done so without engaging in hype.

And if everyone made your choice, this would become a barren landscape very fast.

3 1,122
 02-25-2018, 08:21 AM
User Info
(02-25-2018, 07:50 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 07:45 AM)SteelTown Wrote: Ken my choice is not condemning the work, talent or intent of artisan makers. Arlo and many artisans probably had the best of intentions in starting their projects.  It's just that the scene has changed a lot over the past 30 years and I tend to stick to the tried and true rather than constantly looking for the next best thing or hottest buzz on the forums. The market is so saturated and overloaded now it's hard to keep up and I really don't have the energy to try. I use products that I know work for me and buy from manufacturers and vendors that have a long track record. I wish all new start-ups the best and if they are still here a decade from now I might buy their product.

I just don't think it's fair to paint all artisan makers with the same broad brush. There are many that have built considerable bodies of work and done so without engaging in hype.

And if everyone made your choice, this would become a barren landscape very fast.
+1

44 4,307
 02-25-2018, 09:06 AM
User Info
(02-25-2018, 08:21 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 07:50 AM)Paladin Shaving Wrote:

+1

+1
I believe we are living in a renaissance of artisan creation, I applaud every time I see and/or buy something from an artisan. I show my wife photos of the gorgeous works appearing on TSN. I am glad to have eyes that see.

52 1,068
 02-25-2018, 09:38 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I have three brushes from Aldo.  One of which was a prototype he sent me for testing.  Sadly, it appears it will never see the light of day.
Aldo had the deck stacked against him to begin with.  It didn't help that he had a crushing sense of perfection.
I for one hope he makes a comeback.  The hair he was using for his knots was phenomenal.

48 2,020
 02-25-2018, 09:48 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Since I have virtually nothing invested (emotionally or otherwise), it warrants little more than a shrug that I apparently won't get the brush I signed up for. Slightly disappointing is as far as I'll go with it. I wish Aldo the best and hope he surfaces again at some point.

If something else looks interesting, I'll sign up for that, too. It's a nice diversion. I think it's great that people are making the effort to follow a dream of sorts--if it pans out, fantastic for all.

61 861
 02-25-2018, 10:23 AM
User Info
I received a reply back from Aldo maybe a month are two ago. He said that he was still working on turning out brushes but it was taking a lot longer then expected. Didn’t sound like he planned on shutting down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 99
 02-25-2018, 10:32 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(02-25-2018, 10:23 AM)vinnychampionmd Wrote: I received a reply back from Aldo maybe a month are two ago. He said that he was still working on turning out brushes but it was taking a lot longer then expected. Didn’t sound like he planned on shutting down.

That is excellent news. I would still be ecstatic to receive a Varlet. I've never held my breath for these, but it would sure be a pleasant surprise.

61 861
 02-25-2018, 10:42 AM
User Info
(02-25-2018, 09:38 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: I have three brushes from Aldo.  One of which was a prototype he sent me for testing.  Sadly, it appears it will never see the light of day.
Aldo had the deck stacked against him to begin with.  It didn't help that he had a crushing sense of perfection.
I for one hope he makes a comeback.  The hair he was using for his knots was phenomenal.

Erik, you're fortunate to have three of Aldo's brushes.  

Aldo had the full support of the shaving community.  Guys wanted him to succeed, were willing to back him up with their spending on his brushes, and patiently accepted his repeated explanations for his lack of production.  He is a perfectionist, but so is Ken at Paladin.  To me, it seems Aldo had the concept and requisite skill, but was unable to execute on that concept and actually produce brushes.  Many of his decisions  left prospective customers perplexed.  However, he still has a lot of goodwill in the community, and I think guys would support him if he made a comeback.  

Scott at Declaration Brushworks is enjoying success turning his own brushes and tying his own knots.  If Paladin ever starts tying its own knots, it would be a game changer.

51 7,400
 02-25-2018, 11:29 PM
User Info
(02-25-2018, 10:42 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(02-25-2018, 09:38 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: I have three brushes from Aldo.  One of which was a prototype he sent me for testing.  Sadly, it appears it will never see the light of day.

Erik, you're fortunate to have three of Aldo's brushes.  

Aldo had the full support of the shaving community.  Guys wanted him to succeed, were willing to back him up with their spending on his brushes, and patiently accepted his repeated explanations for his lack of production.  He is a perfectionist, but so is Ken at Paladin.  To me, it seems Aldo had the concept and requisite skill, but was unable to execute on that concept and actually produce brushes.  Many of his decisions  left prospective customers perplexed.  However, he still has a lot of goodwill in the community, and I think guys would support him if he made a comeback.  

Scott at Declaration Brushworks is enjoying success turning his own brushes and tying his own knots.  If Paladin ever starts tying its own knots, it would be a game changer.

Paladin does not have to tying his own knots to be the best, enough to do good quality control. Hermes do not produce leather themselves, they are ordered from third-party manufacturers, but suppliers know that this is for Hermes, that's why they always supply the leather with the highest quality, and at Hermes the leather goes through an additional quality control.

I think Ken doesn't have a large staff, like Simpson, they do everything in the family, 2-3 people, and given the careful attention that Ken gives to the production of handles, there is probably no time to research and tying his own knots.
But I'm sure if Ken ever starts tying his own knots, it would be with the same quality control and attention to detail as to his handles, it will be just as magnificent like everything he does, it will take a huge amount of time and we get a situation like with Lee Sabini 5 years ago or Aldo today.

3 319
 02-26-2018, 04:12 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I agree with the notion that you do not have to tie the knots yourself to provide an outstanding product. You do need to have an excellent source of hair and a supplier you trust that masters excellent sorting of the hair. You won't control this process completely UNLESS you do it yourself, but that requires to develop that mastery to be able to still put out a reasonable quantity of brushes. That takes time.

Declaration only does a few brushes each month. The Varlet failed to produce a reliable number of brushes.
Only larger operations (shavemac, Thäter, Simpson etc) master to sort the hair, tie the knots and assemble the brushes (Thäter supposedly using handles made by shavemac).

In the meantime I am enjoying my Paladin brushes - another PK-47 on the way...  Biggrin

43 2,016