05-19-2018, 07:43 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(05-19-2018, 05:26 AM)German Wrote: So about 2 1/2 years after I signed up for the (in-)famous reserve list, kind of unexpected, and no longer thinking about it, this Varlet Beehive knocked on my door. I ordered at the time because I generally liked the beehive themed handles. I had several over the course of the years: a Rooney Beehive, a Simpson Manchurian Beehive, a Viel Long version and even a Thäter Boar version for a while. All of these are gone and I find myself more involved with knot sizes above 26mm and handles around 60mm tall lately.

And here there is now this Varlet Beehive: 24/50mm 2 band knot in a 50mm handle. My first reaction was: well, it is small.

The handle is truly though a piece of art with its various deep grooves. This must be a nightmare to produce in large numbers without precision machines doing it. So I can guess why it has been difficult for Aldo to get them out in larger numbers.

The knot is a good 2 Band knot: soft tipped, medium density with just the right loft. At first, during a palm lather, I thought the knot lacks backbone but when using it on the face it showed surprising presence. I dismissed my last M&F Beehive because of lack of density. The Varlet one stands this test. While a small package this brush feels good when used.

Aesthetically, this is certainly the most pleasing beehive I owned and I recognize Aldo for such a beautiful handle -- and for the fact, even after more than 2 years, he came through with it!

[Image: kEF6MH2.jpg]

[Image: OfnfuEy.jpg]

[Image: Vcho5m2.jpg]

It is a gem of a brush. A more accurate description could not have been written, well done sir.

52 575
 05-19-2018, 02:12 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Always nice seeing someone enthusiastic about a purchase.  Your brush is also the first beehive I have ever liked - gorgeous brush!!

8 544
 05-20-2018, 04:32 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I never really understood the infatuation over beehive handles.
But with this example, now it makes sense Smile
Enjoy, sir!

80 3,313
 2 hours ago
User Info
After a frustrating USPS delay, my Ranger arrived.  Approximate measurements are a 26mm diameter at the top of the handle, and a 53mm loft.  The handle is just under 55mm tall. 

Workmanship on the handle and knot appear impeccable.  While most brushes on the market are a variation of well known handle shapes, this handle is a truly unique design.  The handle is ergonomic.  The knot is well shaped.  It's impressive that Also is handmaking both handles and knots of this quality.   

[Image: mMNEfY4.jpg]

[Image: iFlQPXE.jpg]   

[Image: mKEG0cC.jpg]

51 7,390