05-19-2018, 07:43 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(05-19-2018, 05:26 AM)German Wrote: So about 2 1/2 years after I signed up for the (in-)famous reserve list, kind of unexpected, and no longer thinking about it, this Varlet Beehive knocked on my door. I ordered at the time because I generally liked the beehive themed handles. I had several over the course of the years: a Rooney Beehive, a Simpson Manchurian Beehive, a Viel Long version and even a Thäter Boar version for a while. All of these are gone and I find myself more involved with knot sizes above 26mm and handles around 60mm tall lately.

And here there is now this Varlet Beehive: 24/50mm 2 band knot in a 50mm handle. My first reaction was: well, it is small.

The handle is truly though a piece of art with its various deep grooves. This must be a nightmare to produce in large numbers without precision machines doing it. So I can guess why it has been difficult for Aldo to get them out in larger numbers.

The knot is a good 2 Band knot: soft tipped, medium density with just the right loft. At first, during a palm lather, I thought the knot lacks backbone but when using it on the face it showed surprising presence. I dismissed my last M&F Beehive because of lack of density. The Varlet one stands this test. While a small package this brush feels good when used.

Aesthetically, this is certainly the most pleasing beehive I owned and I recognize Aldo for such a beautiful handle -- and for the fact, even after more than 2 years, he came through with it!

[Image: kEF6MH2.jpg]

[Image: OfnfuEy.jpg]

[Image: Vcho5m2.jpg]

It is a gem of a brush. A more accurate description could not have been written, well done sir.

52 575
 05-19-2018, 02:12 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Always nice seeing someone enthusiastic about a purchase.  Your brush is also the first beehive I have ever liked - gorgeous brush!!

8 546
 05-20-2018, 04:32 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I never really understood the infatuation over beehive handles.
But with this example, now it makes sense Smile
Enjoy, sir!

80 3,314
 Yesterday, 01:01 PM
User Info
After a frustrating USPS delay, my Ranger arrived.  Approximate measurements are a 26mm diameter at the top of the handle, and a 53mm loft.  The handle is just under 55mm tall. 

Workmanship on the handle and knot appear impeccable.  While most brushes on the market are a variation of well known handle shapes, this handle is a truly unique design.  The handle is ergonomic.  The knot is well shaped.  It's impressive that Also is handmaking both handles and knots of this quality.   

[Image: mMNEfY4.jpg]

[Image: iFlQPXE.jpg]   

[Image: mKEG0cC.jpg]

51 7,400
 9 hours ago
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I like The Varlet, and have an Orion that is absolutely a favorite of mine. I love the handle...I'd love to see one in Ebony. I had an Everset U2 that I eventually traded away, but now I miss it.

I believe that good things come to those who wait, and that is especially true with The Varlet brushes.

The Orion is pictures here in this group shot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
[Image: 45081dce71253eaa46f8f37464bce8d5.jpg]

82 1,614