12-10-2016, 04:02 PM
User Info
What makes a high end soap and what ingredients contribute to better performance? Is it tallow?

I have learned that with brushes, it's badger hair and within that, silvertip is st the top

Are their similar guidelines to soap and what I should look for?

Which brands are considered the more high end brands (production and artisan)?

7 88
 12-10-2016, 04:28 PM
User Info
Cold River Soap Works (Artisan)

Aqua di Parma (Production)

Criteria;
Performance, scent & presentation. The two listed above meet these criteria perfectly.

0 119
 12-10-2016, 04:32 PM
User Info
(12-10-2016, 04:28 PM)JHamel Wrote: Cold River Soap Works (Artisan)

Aqua di Parma (Production)

Criteria;
Performance, scent & presentation. The two listed above meet these criteria perfectly.

I would have picked the exact same brands as above.

160 1,040
 12-10-2016, 04:41 PM
User Info
Absolutely Cold River Soap Works with the addition of XPEC and Baume. Be , price wise Baume Be is not very high but IMO you will not find a better performer plus the jar is glass and simple design.

20 1,375
 12-10-2016, 05:03 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
I would offer Cold River Soap Works as well as Tallow and Steel.

0 250
 12-10-2016, 05:08 PM
User Info
Personally I think soaps with tallow in them gives me a fatter more smooth feeling after the shave, but this can feeling can sometimes be too much for me and in fact feel too rich, especially in the warmer season.

I own many soaps, tallow as well as vegan, that all performs to the highest of measures.

I do feel, that a tallow based soaps more often than not will outperform a non tallow based soap based on performance.
But you never really know.

I have yet to explore L&L Grooming, Tallow & Steel, JabonMan and Mystic Waters, but a top product for me would be (You could have seen this list repeated all over the forum, but here it comes again)

Cream: Castle Forbes, Floris 89, Penhaligon, Acqua di Parma, Esbjerg, St, James, Baume.Be, Antica Barbieria Colla, Alvarez Gomez, Musgo Real and Xpec
Soap: Cold River Soap Works, Barrister & Mann, Caties Bubbles, Tabula Rasa, Nuavia, Martin de Candre, Savonniere du Moulin, Mike's Natural, Wickham, Phoenix & Beau, Tabac, Klar Seifen, Haslinger, Le Pére Lucien, Saponificio Varesino, Meissner Tremonia, Czech & Speak, AOS Tallow, Valobra Tallow, Antica Barbieria Colla, Boellis Panama and I Coloniali

Absolute luxury brand, if you look at scent, presentation and performance:

Cream: Acqua di Parma
Soap: Cold River Soap Works Select

24 6,020
 12-10-2016, 05:15 PM
User Info
Acqua di Parma but with a steep price. Cold River Soap Works, affordable luxury.

0 91
 12-10-2016, 08:03 PM
User Info
When I think of high end in terms of the best performing ingredients coupled with the best display and packaging these come to mind-

Creams - Castle forbes , Aqua di Parma , ABC
Soaps - C&S , I agree cold river belongs on the list , I would even say the new barrister tubs have got me to the point they need a mention.

63 1,597
 12-10-2016, 10:18 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
In my experience, often you get what you pay for, but not always. My top soaps:

1. Nuavia. Very expensive, but unmatched in my collection.
2. Tabac. One of my least expensive soaps.
3. MdC. Very expensive, but in the same tier as the first two.

My other great soaps range from inexpensive (Mike's Barbershop) to expensive (I Coloniali).

I don't pay attention to tallow vs. non-tallow or ingredients lists. I listen to the voices of fellow soap buyers, and take chances. Rarely do I find the advice I read misguided.

6 388
 12-11-2016, 07:47 AM
User Info
Claus, I have been wanting to ask you why have you not tried Jabonman yet?

Incase, you decide on buying it, would like to recommend Ylang Ylang. I like it lots and I am hopeful you might enjoy it too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 852
 12-11-2016, 08:20 AM
User Info
A high end soap is any soap that performs well. That's all there is to it. If you find a two dollar soap that blows you away, then it is a high end soap.

I wouldn't worry about whether or not a soap has tallow. Tallow is generally great, but I've encountered vegan soaps that outperformed my favorite tallow soaps, so it's less about ingredients and more about what an artisan or company does with them. On the other hand, I generally shy away from very basic soap formulas that don't have moisturizers in them, because they tend to dry my skin. I usually look for soaps with ingredients like Kokum butter, Shea butter, and lanolin, as these work well for me.

3 197
 12-11-2016, 08:32 AM
User Info
High end doesn't always deliver performance and very marginal difference compare to much lower price artisan products.

I think Tallow and secret ingredients make soaps special.

Great example is SV brand that uses different interesting materials to make the soap special.

1- Jabonman tallow (best performance and scents period )
SV
B&M
Mike
Crsw
Tabac
Czech speak Cambridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072