12-11-2016, 02:02 AM
  • xow
User Info
I have recently completed my 10th shave with the Hawk/Kai milds and it has been pretty great (no tugging). But it only has a small range of angles where it really gives that mild/comfortable and efficient shave. Deviating even a little with steeper angles, draws blood quickly.

But it's my only SE razor so I have no frame of reference with the other designs. Do any of you users with a variety of experience find one model to be particularly comfortable and efficient on a consistent basis with little complication? I mean, waking up 5 in the morning groggy eyed, but still get a comfortable and efficient shave with no problem type of SE razor (think feather AS-D2, RR baby smooth).

Thanks in advance

0 11
 12-11-2016, 07:02 AM
User Info
For me, the most efficient, comfortable and forgiving SE razor is the OneBlade.  Unfortunately, it is also the most expensive having recently increased the price to $399 although coupons and deals are frequently available.  I tried the Hawk and did not care for it.  If you want to stay with the Feather/KAI artist club type blades then you might try Colonial Razors The General.  I found it to be much more to my liking than the Hawk.  The General is well made and very comfortable, and sells for about $60.

There are also various vintage GEM SE razors that use the GEM SE blades.  You may wish to try the Featherweight GEM or the G-Bar (heavy flat top).  You can search this website to learn more about vintage SE razors.

eric.

7 150
 12-11-2016, 07:17 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I agree for the most forgiving SE you have to go to the One Blade. Next would be the Asylum RX. However, I wouldn't use the RX when I am half asleep.

70 1,098
 12-11-2016, 07:47 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
Oneblade is very mild.  Not sure if I could cut myself even if I tried.  The Rockwell 6S with a 1 or 2 plate, or even ATT S1 are pretty darn mild and very smooth shavers as well.

49 640
 12-11-2016, 07:49 AM
User Info
I am in love with ATT SE1 and Asylum RX. I have sensitive skin and very sensitive neck and i am enjoying the best shaves of my life with these razors and Kai Protouch MG blades.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

3 1,136
 12-11-2016, 08:59 AM
User Info
gem g bar, gem  1912 junior , supply provision 1 dot plate

0 212
 12-11-2016, 10:13 AM
User Info
I got a GEM Featherweight from a fellow Nook member not long ago. It's great.

8 951
 12-11-2016, 11:07 AM
User Info
I find my chrome Hawk to be the mildest among my SE's which include the RX and the Ikon El-Jefe so far. It's the only razor I use the pro with, as it's so efficient and the angle so intuitive for me that I feel I have to try to cut myself. YMMV. The others I use with a milder blade as they are way more aggressive , with the RX so efficient that it feels like a straight, needing concentration all the time and there is a learning curve to it. The most satisfying shave however, but not at 5 in the morning.
The El-Jefe on its mildest is still more aggressive than the Hawk. As far as the general is concerned, other say it's more aggressive than the Hawk and show preference for it.
Mind you I use the Hawk with the Maggard's MR5 handle which adds a lot of weight to the razor rendering it more aggressive which is the reason I didn't get the general. I have a Rocnel SE50 in the mail and I intend to get the revised Claymore when it comes out. When I get more I'll post.

0 315
 12-11-2016, 11:10 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
  • OneBlade
  • Asylum Rx
  • Schick Injector Hydro-magic

49 2,019
 12-11-2016, 12:16 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
GEM 1912 OC Damaskeene.  Hands down the best balance of mild/efficient I've ever used.

4 194
 12-11-2016, 02:09 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
The RX with a pro guard blade gives a great shave. I use milds (pinks) in my other SE.

5 527
 12-11-2016, 02:17 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I've got tons of SEs, including the Mongoose and Alumigoose, a half dozen Schick injectors, a Valet Auto Strop, about 15 Gem blade SEs--and the current version of the Supply One Blade injector. With the Supply, I can't even tell there's a blade in there (and I have only used the most aggressive plate) and am confident that I cannot cut myself. Most importantly, it's almost the closest shave I can get.

I'm more of an aggressive razor guy, however, so I usually reach for my more aggressive SEs so I can feel the blade (i.e., all of the others). For a free and easy, effortless shave, though, I can't imagine a better razor.

6 388
 12-11-2016, 02:59 PM
User Info
I'd say that the Alumigoose V2 is about the mildest of the current crop of razors using the Artist Club blades, with the Hawk close behind. Of course, one of the great things about this type of razor is that you can make it more or less aggressive by choosing different blades.

With vintage SE's any of the later Gems - Featherweight, G-Bar or Pushbutton - will do. These are on the mild side but still plenty efficient when loaded with a new stainless steel ptfe blade.

Any I type or later Schick injector would also be a candidate, as well as the Supply Provision Single Edge with the mild base plate.

For something really different a Gem Junior Bar lather catcher is surprisingly mild, or you could go with a Valet AutoStrop VC4 with a supply of the Feather FHS blades. 

I would add that "efficient" and "comfortable/mildest" are often (but not always) at odds with each other.

--Bob

0 185
 12-11-2016, 04:08 PM
User Info
Another vote for the GEM Featherweight, and the 1912! Impossible to hurt yourself, and they give great shaves! But DO NOT use GEM Blue Star blades!!!

0 263
 12-11-2016, 06:50 PM
User Info
OneBlade
EverReady 1914, aka The Little Lather Catcher
Schick E2
GEM Feather Weight

31 8,058
 12-12-2016, 03:03 AM
User Info
(12-11-2016, 04:08 PM)TobyC Wrote: But DO NOT use GEM Blue Star blades!!!

I bought a pack of these...the only SE blades that Pasteur's had.
They've been fine, although when I opened them up, I saw some small black patches (not good).
I'd rather get the stainless.

8 951
 12-18-2016, 09:29 AM
User Info
The General by Colonial Razors is probably my mildest SE and then the Razorock Hawk.
I own the Rx, ATT SE1 & SE2, Rocnel SE50, Mongoose SS 2nd batch, Hawk, General and El Jefe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 958
 12-20-2016, 05:02 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
Gem Junior 1912

18 415
 12-24-2016, 09:28 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Rx with pro guard blades

113 1,547
 12-25-2016, 04:01 AM
User Info
I would say, currently, my vote goes to the Oneblade. However, it looks like I need to pick up some feather pro guard blades for the Rx to see if my vote is swayed in its favor.

6 75