12-12-2016, 07:30 AM
User Info
Any love for Standard Razor's?  I purchased one on their cyber Monday sale and have been using it non stop since it arrived.  I really like it. Light and more aggressive then my Weber. Also, it looks really good on the stand.

9 137
 12-12-2016, 07:36 AM
User Info
I had one for a while and thought it provided a good shave. I never could get used to the weight for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

115 1,005
 12-12-2016, 07:39 AM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
Much love from me! It's easily the most comfortable shaver I own.

11 684
 12-12-2016, 07:53 AM
User Info
(12-12-2016, 07:39 AM)racebmx Wrote: Much love from me! It's easily the most comfortable shaver I own.

And it goes great with your soap Paolo! I've been using both for days.

9 137
 12-12-2016, 08:12 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I have one and rotate it in! Solid shave for me paired with feather.

59 4,500
 12-12-2016, 09:14 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I'm a big fan of this razor. I like the aesthetics and it shaves well. Because of the weight, it's a great travel razor.

60 843
 12-12-2016, 09:23 AM
User Info
I've never gotten a bad shave once I found my blade.  It's a great razor! Love the weight.  I used a personna red with it.

13 59
 12-12-2016, 10:58 AM
User Info
(12-12-2016, 09:14 AM)greyhawk Wrote: I'm a big fan of this razor. I like the aesthetics and it shaves well. Because of the weight, it's a great travel razor.

Agreed!

20 372
 12-12-2016, 12:02 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-12-2016, 07:30 AM)Kpfeifle Wrote: Any love for Standard Razor's?  I purchased one on their cyber Monday sale and have been using it non stop since it arrived.  I really like it. Light and more aggressive then my Weber. Also, it looks really good on the stand.

(Technically, the brand is Standard Razors  (no apostrophe), and what one holds in one’s hand, therefore, is a Standard Razors razor.)

I was an early adopter of a Standard Razors razor, and it was the first DE I had bought — the first DE razor I ever held in my hand, actually — after more than 45 years of shaving with a brush and real shaving soap with other blade razors.  So part of my experience with learning the Standard Razors razor was part of my experience with learning the geometry of DE razors as a category.  

Even so, after mastering the learning curve of the Standard Razors razor and then using other DE razors, I was surprised at how (on a comparative basis to the other DE razors) aggressive and unforgiving the Standard Razors geometry was and is.  Definitely not a razor to use when one is in a hurry.  I sold the Standard Razors razor after using it for over a year, and thereby effectively ended my usage of styptic pencils forever.

1 1,089
 12-12-2016, 12:40 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-12-2016, 12:02 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(12-12-2016, 07:30 AM)Kpfeifle Wrote: Any love for Standard Razor's?  I purchased one on their cyber Monday sale and have been using it non stop since it arrived.  I really like it. Light and more aggressive then my Weber. Also, it looks really good on the stand.

(Technically, the brand is Standard Razors  (no apostrophe), and what one holds in one’s hand, therefore, is a Standard Razors razor.)

You might want to inform Standard Razors that they are technically referring to their own products incorrectly (following from their website):

Quote:OUR PRODUCTS

Standard Razors and Standard Bases are made from aircraft-grade aluminum
Our products come in three unique matte anodized finishes: Raw / Black / Gunmetal
Our razors feature precision-machined head geometry, non-slip grip, and stainless steel threads. Standard Razors are designed to give the absolute best shave you've ever experienced.

Tongue

60 843
 12-12-2016, 04:53 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(12-12-2016, 12:40 PM)greyhawk Wrote: You might want to inform Standard Razors that they are technically referring to their own products incorrectly (following from their website):

Quote:OUR PRODUCTS

Standard Razors and Standard Bases are made from aircraft-grade aluminum

Tongue

Alas for them, not only incorrectly, but also at risk of taking an already weak mark and reducing it to a merely descriptive term, incapable to be a mark at all under common law and the Lanham Act.  Mind you, I am not offering a legal opinion here, and no one who reads this should rely upon the statement as a proposition of law applicable to specific facts.  

1 1,089
 12-12-2016, 09:15 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I gave it several tries. Just wasn't for me. Next...

60 1,601
 12-13-2016, 06:53 AM
User Info
Quote:I was surprised at how (on a comparative basis to the other DE razors) aggressive and unforgiving the Standard Razors geometry was and is.

This actually surprises me. It is more aggressive then my other razors, but after a day or two of use, I don't find it unforgiving at all.  Actually very easy to use and head geometry makes it fall easily into place.

9 137
 12-14-2016, 08:13 AM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
I enjoy their razor when I want to change up my normal heavy handle razors! Gives a great, audible shave that changes up the pace. Cannot use as a daily driver for some reason - my skin can be finicky!

28 667
 12-14-2016, 11:41 AM
User Info
I really like mine and find to close in aggressiveness to a DE89 or 34C. Maybe slightly more aggressive....not by much.

20 372
 12-14-2016, 12:46 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(12-13-2016, 06:53 AM)Kpfeifle Wrote:
Quote:I was surprised at how (on a comparative basis to the other DE razors) aggressive and unforgiving the Standard Razors geometry was and is.

This actually surprises me. It is more aggressive then my other razors, but after a day or two of use, I don't find it unforgiving at all.  Actually very easy to use and head geometry makes it fall easily into place.

Our respective assessments are subjective, of course; and they are dependent upon our standards of reference.  The three DE razors that I retain:  iKon DLC Stainless Slant, iKon DLC Deluxe Open Comb, and Feather AS-D2, are all much more forgiving of a careless stroke than my Standard Razors razor was.  No surprise that the AS-D2 is more forgiving, as it has a reputation as a very mild razor, but most reviews I have seen of the iKons have placed them near neutral in aggressiveness, but toward the aggressive side.

1 1,089