12-12-2016, 09:55 AM
User Info
Greetings all, I have read the various what if threads on using just one soap.  But I wonder how many of you use just one, what is it, why and how did you get there? After returning to real shaving a year ago, I am beginngto get over scent lust and I am narrowing down my preferences. May not get down to one, but maybe four or five. Thanks and a merry Christmas to all!

0 8
 12-12-2016, 10:33 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
One soap? I don't understand this concept Tongue

34 1,628
 12-12-2016, 10:41 AM
User Info
The closest I come is using one soap for a whole week, but then I rotate onto the next one. It helps learn a soap better than constant rotation but isn't one at a time - which the other shave site calls "3017" (use to completion).

6 745
 12-12-2016, 11:31 AM
User Info
If I were to return to one soap, I will probably just pick Tabac.

But I have so many soap and scent that I adore, that this won't be possible  Biggrin

0 176
 12-12-2016, 11:47 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-12-2016, 09:55 AM)ken c Wrote: Greetings all, I have read the various what if threads on using just one soap.  But I wonder how many of you use just one, what is it, why and how did you get there? After returning to real shaving a year ago, I am beginngto get over scent lust and I am narrowing down my preferences. May not get down to one, but maybe four or five. Thanks and a merry Christmas to all!

I went for more than a quarter century using just one soap (Col. Ichabod Conk Amber), more than half of that period using just one brush (Vulfix 2234S).  Funny, I had no feeling of deprivation at the time.

It has been some time since I finished my last puck of Conk Amber, not to replace it, and I am pretty certain what two soaps I now would choose — and, in fact, may, or even probably shall, choose — as the last survivors (but to be refilled when exhausted) as I work my way through finishing the other five or six brands of soaps and creams in the cabinet above the sink.  

But naming two would be flaunting the rules when the naming of only one was requested, wouldn’t it?

1 1,089
 12-12-2016, 11:54 AM
User Info
For a year or so I just used proraso green....was not bad Tongue Provided good lathers, but the scent wasn't my favorite.

13 59
 12-12-2016, 11:59 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I'm pretty close to PIFing all my stuff and just using Czech and Speake Oxford & Cambridge for warm weather and Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna for cool weather.

168 1,384
 12-12-2016, 12:45 PM
User Info
(12-12-2016, 11:59 AM)Steelman Wrote: I'm pretty close to PIFing all my stuff and just using Czech and Speake Oxford & Cambridge for warm weather and Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna for cool weather.

Well, Thanks for PIF'ing me your 2 Mike's Natural. My father sends you his regards.

I actually can see your point.
Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by the sheer size of my soap/cream collection and actually confused over what soap to use.

24 5,966
 12-12-2016, 01:01 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I use almost exclusively soaps made by Valobra (C&S and AoS tallow) because I've used almost everything out there except what's come out in the past couple months, and nothing is even close, IMO. Short and simple.
The importance of Performance has always been #1 by a long shot. So I don't care to chase scents, which makes this easier. Not that I'm "choosing" to do this. It's just that it's all I ever reach for.

59 2,814
 12-12-2016, 02:40 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
For 45 years I used just three different soaps, Williams, Colgate, and Old Spice, and I never had all on the shelf at the same time.  Then I discovered shaving forums and went crazy like most of us.  I have narrowed down my inventory to about 5 different soaps and there are two that I use more than the rest.  But, if I had to choose just one to keep, it would be Mitchell's Wool Fat.  It has never provided me with a bad shave, no matter what brush or razor I used, and it works with any aftershave you want to throw at it.  Speaking of aftershaves, I've narrowed that down to 4.

178 23,809
 12-12-2016, 02:46 PM
User Info
If I had to just keep one... probably be adp

0 101
 12-12-2016, 05:26 PM
User Info
I only use one soap at a time Wink

One thing that I've noticed is that even though the artisan's formula may stay the same, I sometimes experience differences in the soap performance per the fragrance oils used. A very reliable example for me: CRSW honeywood gives me a much more dense, creamy lather vs. citrus paradisi. Hence why I sometimes like to own multiple soaps from the same vendor.

28 1,085
 12-12-2016, 05:28 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
In all honesty, before this became a hobby, for many years I was only using one soap or cream.  At first it was Tabac, then Proraso green, then MWF (only about a year on MWF--the other two were about 5 a piece).  If I had to go back to complete basics and use only one or two soaps (or three), I can tell you that one of them would be SMN.  SMN simply provides every single element I want while shaving, and nothing I don't.  C&S would have to be in there as well.

34 1,628
 12-12-2016, 05:47 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-12-2016, 02:40 PM)Johnny Wrote: For 45 years I used just three different soaps, Williams, Colgate, and Old Spice, and I never had all on the shelf at the same time.  Then I discovered shaving forums and went crazy like most of us.  I have narrowed down my inventory to about 5 different soaps and there are two that I use more than the rest.  But, if I had to choose just one to keep, it would be Mitchell's Wool Fat.  It has never provided me with a bad shave, no matter what brush or razor I used, and it works with any aftershave you want to throw at it.  Speaking of aftershaves, I've narrowed that down to 4.

Good work, Johnny!
If I have success with Mike's (as in, I don't itch from the lanolin), I vow MWF is the next soap I try. My dad had it (Kent) in his stash and I really enjoyed that scent. And I'm a sucker for time-tested and approved.

59 2,814
 12-12-2016, 05:49 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-12-2016, 02:46 PM)tupacboy Wrote: If I had to just keep one... probably be adp

Hard to disagree with this one, as well! AdP would be my backup plan if Valobra-made soaps disappeared from the face of the earth.

59 2,814
 12-12-2016, 05:49 PM
User Info
(12-12-2016, 10:33 AM)Giorgio Wrote: One soap? I don't understand this concept Tongue

LOL - my thoughts as well Smile

Started with TOBS Sandalwood - loved it (love it still)
Discovered Caties Bubbles La Terra Verte - loved it (love it still); La Piment De La Vie - same
Discovered B & M soaps - Latha (Taiga, Sandalwood), Seville, Bay Rum... loved 'em (love them still)
Proraso (CB & Bigelow), Proraso Red, AOS Sandalwood, ditto

Currently using Mitchell's Wool Fat which is... so far, #1 of all.
Waiting on several CRSW soaps for Christmas
Same for several Mystic River Soaps

I like variety.  There's no "one" soap for me.  I like that there are many in my rotation.

0 377
 12-13-2016, 05:58 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Perish the thought.

2 1,683
 12-13-2016, 07:33 AM
User Info
(12-12-2016, 01:01 PM)Nero Wrote: I use almost exclusively soaps made by Valobra (C&S and AoS tallow) because I've used almost everything out there except what's come out in the past couple months, and nothing is even close, IMO. Short and simple.
The importance of Performance has always been #1 by a long shot. So I don't care to chase scents, which makes this easier. Not that I'm "choosing" to do this. It's just that it's all I ever reach for.

Like you it's all about performance for me. I can't say I tried every soap out there but I tried a bunch and if I only have to use one soap it would be the new SMN V3. It's absolutely fantastic in every way. Everytime I use it I wonder why I bother with other soaps or creams.

I see that you are a big fan of Valobra produced soaps, I have to ask you if you've used the new SMN V3? And if so what do Valobra soaps have that SMN doesn't? Thanks

13 775
 12-13-2016, 09:59 AM
User Info
For those with too many soaps, we all know the answer, pif them to deployed troops.

36 892
 12-13-2016, 10:07 AM
User Info
(12-12-2016, 11:31 AM)aerolord Wrote: If I were to return to one soap, I will probably just pick Tabac.

But I have so many soap and scent that I adore, that this won't be possible  Biggrin

I agree.  Even though I find myself more often than not reaching for just two soaps I still read the forum and pick up new soaps to try. 

But if it were only one soap it would be Tabac bowl and stick.  If I did not read the forums I probably not even miss other soaps at all.

1 161