12-12-2016, 10:33 PM
User Info
I originally started about a month ago thinking I would,just get one razor and one brush. I was going to just continue using my shave cream that is non lathering (Clinique for men)

I find myself loving this hobby more and more

You guys probably don't realize this because you are used to it, but since I am new I find this so incredibly cool. Everytime I order from any vendor they send me what I order plus a free "gift". And it's usually not just a sample. A bar of soap, a pre shave oil, a hard luck of soap. Even when I order a razor,,I get a free extra gift. This seems to be a cultural thing with shaving vendors and I think it's the coolest thing ever

7 88
 12-12-2016, 10:54 PM
User Info
Fitjar sent me a 5ml asb sample. Lovely scent and great packaging. 
Also a fellow TSN member kindly sent a couple set screws for the ER/GEM razors. Vey nice gesture.
Nothing else I can remember this year, so don't get too used to it Smile

8 1,130
 12-12-2016, 11:44 PM
User Info
I've been wetshaving since 2010 and I still find it incredible cool, so you can expect the feeling to last a bit longer Biggrin

3 4,512
 12-12-2016, 11:46 PM
User Info
Nice. Soap Commander is probably one of the most generous when it comes to giving samples. The samples they gave me would probably last for quite a bit.

11 1,169
 12-13-2016, 04:52 AM
User Info
Welcome to the band of hoarders, I mean brothers. Of the hobbies I have gone thru this is the best, so far...enjoy.
"Too much ain't enough" - sign outside Lone Star Cafe

36 893
 12-15-2016, 08:08 PM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
(12-12-2016, 10:33 PM)Diamond Dog Wrote: You guys probably don't realize this because you are used to it, but since I am new I find this so incredibly cool. 

As said earlier, this feeling never really leaves you once you are hooked into the wetshaving hobby/life! And like with every relationship in life, that initial period when it's all so new and exciting is certainly one we've all experienced and hold close!

10 233
 12-18-2016, 07:38 AM
User Info
I've been shaving (in one form or another) for about 45 years. I've tried 'em all except a straight razor (I'd probably cut my head off...my hands aren't as steady as they used to be)...DE, injectors, disposables, electrics, women's (they work pretty dang good, actually), and with gels, pucks, foams, even motel bar soaps. Dry, as a very last resort. It wasn't until around 2000 that I started using a brush on a regular basis. In 2009 or so, all I had was a '65 Slim adjustable (and a few women's razors I'd gotten from a friend). My DE blades were what I could get at HEB's (mainly no-names, Personna, and Van der Hagen).

About a year ago, something snapped (I think it was my brush shedding more each day), and I happened to join another shaving forum. They ruined me. Since November of last year, I went from one DE razor to 62 (most I've given to my middle grandson as part of his inheritance...I have on hand now 22 assorted DE, SE, and injectors) and around 1300 assorted blades. Probably "invested" close to $2000 on my RAD.

I'd always seen shaving as a chore. Most of the jobs I've had were in one uniformed service or another, so I had to be clean-shaven. Spent no more than like 5 minutes scraping my face. But now, I've learned to take my time and actually enjoy shaving. And the fact I'm using a razor that's 40, 50, 60 years old (or older) gives it an extra cool factor. Plus, my grandson will have something he (and his father, my son) can use (and that just may increase in value). I'm fortunate that my son also likes vintage stuff, so a few will go to him as well. (My oldest grandson got my coin collection; the youngest gets stuck with my 35 vintage coffee pots. Hope he likes coffee when he grows up.) I'm about finished buying, though...I've acquired a pretty good selection of razors, so I'll keep one or two of each type and add the rest to my kid's collection.

[Image: 4y8IzA6isJ8KVx1Y48KU70C7catjJSkkuTgkYd4U...00-h518-no]

0 9