Poll: Fragrance or Essential Oil?
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 12-13-2016, 08:16 AM
User Info
I'm interested in learning what the majority of us hobbyists look for when it comes to this part of our shaving experience, scent. I know many companies use pre-blended fragrance oils, essential oils only or a combo of both. Myself, I have been leaning towards soaps scented with essential oils only.

Which do you prefer or seek out in your shave soap, essential oil or fragrance oil?

0 164
 12-13-2016, 09:36 AM
User Info
At first I leaned towards essential oils, but I don't believe you can get the complex scents with essentials as with fragrance oils.

But I will say one of my best scented soaps (though not the best performing) was the Taconic Lime, scented only with essentials. It smelled like a nice, natural limey margarita.

The fragrance oils also provide added scent longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 44
 12-13-2016, 12:21 PM
User Info
They're both tools that have a place in a soap maker's toolkit.  I tend to prefer essential oils, since you more or less know what you're getting, which is important if you react to things.  With fragrance oils, you can't always be sure.

0 1,098
 12-13-2016, 07:07 PM
User Info
I assume fragrance oils last longer, but prefer essential oils.  I assume it's based on a belief that "natural" is preferable to synthetic.

50 6,427
 12-13-2016, 07:45 PM
User Info
(12-13-2016, 07:07 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I assume fragrance oils last longer, but prefer essential oils.  I assume it's based on a belief that "natural" is preferable to synthetic.

If anything, many FOs are fractionated in carrier oils so they end up being weaker. You see this sometimes, but more rarely, with natural oils and absolutes. They tend to be the expensive ones like rose absolute.

To OP - I prefer essential oils wherever possible and synthetics if the natural (e.g. ambergris, oakmoss, rose, sandalwood) is difficult to obtain. I do not like pre-blended fragrances though; there are enough artisans out there that I can choose to only patronize the ones willing to put in the creative effort to make up their own scents.

16 1,027
 12-15-2016, 04:15 PM
User Info
I prefer EO's if done well but I do enjoy many soaps that use FO's. I think skill and quality whether it be EO/FO plays an important part.

0 119