12-13-2016, 11:19 PM
User Info
Gents, I'm looking for a nice bowl or mug for my favorite soap, I was wondering what you guys are using or if you have suggestions or recomendations with bowls that would fit a Haslinger puck, perfectly.

I am thinking of the bowl I got from Connaught when I bought a puck of Meissner Tremonia, but if there are even better alternatives, I would appreciate it.

11 1,169
 12-14-2016, 06:15 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
If it was me I'd mash the soap to fit the container I wanted to put it in. Just another way of looking at the same issue. Their soaps are relatively soft, IIRC.

59 2,825
 12-14-2016, 07:11 AM
User Info
I have one of the little Edwin Jagger bowls. It's dead-on.

8 917
 12-17-2016, 11:49 PM
User Info
I stick it to the bottom of the big ceramic latte mug that I use for shaving. It gives me a lot of room for proto-lather without making a mess. The downside is that when I detach it to dry and store, I waste soap.

I am seriously considering buying some of the MW/B&M containers, or else a smaller B&M Latha container, for my Haslinger soaps.

6 751
 12-18-2016, 04:40 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I grate Haslinger into a wooden bowl of my liking.

37 1,863
 12-18-2016, 05:45 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-13-2016, 11:19 PM)1Geralt Wrote: Gents, I'm looking for a nice bowl or mug for my favorite soap, I was wondering what you guys are using or if you have suggestions or recomendations with bowls that would fit a Haslinger puck, perfectly.

I am thinking of the bowl I got from Connaught when I bought a puck of Meissner Tremonia, but if there are even better alternatives, I would appreciate it.

Preliminary caution:  I lather Haslinger Schafmilch exclusively by using the Kumquat/* Lathering method:  http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=35149&pid=592694#pid592694.  

/*  At least one member of this community took offense to the descriptive term that used in the above link, so I refer to it by the pseudonym kumquat.

For that purpose, I maintain my open puck of Haslinger Schafmilch in a Luminarc 3.5" stackable glass bowl, which cost me the princely sum of $1.75 at a local brick-and-mortar Ace Hardware store (the Duralex Lys 3-1/2" stackable glass bowl is, for all intents and purposes, identical).  The bowl has a nice thick lip around the top edge on the outside, which permits a non-slip grip in the palm of the hand, and also allows me to nest the bowl snugly into the top of my larger shaving mug, the latter filled with very hot water, as a poor man’s hoity-toity scuttle:

[Image: Pp2f9pN.jpg]

When the puck is not in use, I cover the glass bowl with the aluminum top cap from the cardboard cylinder presentation container of a 750 ml bottle of McLelland’s Single Malt Scotch Whisky, which may be found on liquor stor shelves at this time of year.  The McLelland’s cap is especially appealing, as it has the legend ESTD. 1818 prominently embossed into it.  One supposes that everybody uses McLelland’s top caps as covers for Luminarc or Duralex glass bowls.

1 1,089
 12-18-2016, 07:06 AM
User Info
I use the one from Connaught shaving, leaves 5 mm space between the soap and the container, so not a perfect fit, but close to perfect.

[Image: iUU6Sic.jpg]

24 5,971
 12-18-2016, 10:33 AM
User Info
Pick any bowl that strikes your fancy, and place your puck in it, while it is wet. When the water dries, the puck will glue itself in place, and then you won't have to worry about it moving around. Ideally, you want a nice wide bowl, to allow space for loading your brush, but the size isn't important.

3 196
 12-18-2016, 05:13 PM
User Info
Pressed mine into an empty Mystic Waters tub. Works like a charm!

147 3,539